Re: 12V trimmer

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Malcolm, Aug 24, 2007.

  1. Malcolm

    Malcolm Guest

    On Fri, 24 Aug 2007 10:52:46 +1200
    Peter Huebner <> wrote:

    > In article <>, y
    > says...
    > >
    > > no....such a design has many considerations ie you design to a cost
    > > and/or weight, otherwise I'd suggest a large 20 litre bucket wet
    > > dew point cooled solution....or even using water/gycol with a
    > > fridge plant run it about 4Deg C.....such units would be huge and
    > > expensive and massive overkill....how likely is
    > > likely....personally I consider this unti ie water cooling the cpu
    > > and cooling the water with a small radiator out the back a joke in
    > > engineering terms....
    > >
    > > regards
    > >
    > > Thing

    > Well actually, it's not. The Nautilus is rated at being able to
    > dissipate 500W of heat so it's nowhere near capacity in my system.
    >
    > Looking at the alternative, the stock core2duo cooler isn't rated as
    > being all that great, my mobo has a HUGE passive heatsink on the
    > northbridge out of the box, that relies on air flow off the stock
    > cooler. So if I want to replace the stock cooler on the cpu, then I
    > have to bring in an extra fan for the northbridge HS (gets too hot to
    > touch otherwise, as reported by several tech reviews that played with
    > aftermarket coolers on this mobo); and the stock aircooler on the
    > NVidia 8800 video cards can rev up pretty loud from what I read,
    > which is a pain in the arse when you are trying to watch a dvd or
    > listen to music - which I do regularly on my system, it's being the
    > only 'audiovisual entertainment' in the house.
    >
    > So reducing all that to one pump and one fan makes perfect sense to
    > me if I can achieve a significant reduction in noise. Unfortunately
    > the Nautilus turned out to be nowhere near as quiet as advertised and
    > touted by some reviewers. <sigh> O.t.o.h. it really has shown it's
    > prowess at cooling everything well. Easily, with the fan on 'low'
    > setting. Keeps cpu + northbridge + gpu between 28 and 38 degrees with
    > around 20 degrees ambient temp.
    >
    > On top of all that, I felt like having a play ... <grin>
    >
    > cheers, -P.

    Hi
    I just realised your running a corsair nautilus 500, I've been running
    one since June last year on this rig, 4400+ X2 can't even hear the
    pump...unless I stick my ear on it :)
    At present I have the fan on high speed, way too hot here 37+ degrees C
    outside for the last few weeks. Inside we can keep to between 20-25
    degrees C. CPU hovers around 28 at idle.

    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)

    Malcolm, Aug 24, 2007

  2. In article <>,
    says...
    > Hi
    > I just realised your running a corsair nautilus 500, I've been running
    > one since June last year on this rig, 4400+ X2 can't even hear the
    > pump...unless I stick my ear on it :)
    > At present I have the fan on high speed, way too hot here 37+ degrees C
    > outside for the last few weeks. Inside we can keep to between 20-25
    > degrees C. CPU hovers around 28 at idle.

    Argh. That is soooo frustrating to hear. I actually RMAed the first one, cause
    after 1 week it started to rattle and vibrate. The second one sounds like the
    power steering in the car once you hit full lock, or the 3point linkage on a
    tractor at full lift .... only not _quite_ as loud. Still, that hydraulic whine
    (which gets less after the water warms up some) is always there. No kinks in
    the hoses, no elbows used. Still, it's good to hear that there ARE quiet ones
    out there!

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Aug 24, 2007

  3. Malcolm

    Malcolm Guest

    On Fri, 24 Aug 2007 18:08:23 +1200
    Peter Huebner <> wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > says...
    > > Hi
    > > I just realised your running a corsair nautilus 500, I've been
    > > running one since June last year on this rig, 4400+ X2 can't even
    > > hear the pump...unless I stick my ear on it :)
    > > At present I have the fan on high speed, way too hot here 37+
    > > degrees C outside for the last few weeks. Inside we can keep to
    > > between 20-25 degrees C. CPU hovers around 28 at idle.
    > >

    > Argh. That is soooo frustrating to hear. I actually RMAed the first
    > one, cause after 1 week it started to rattle and vibrate. The second
    > one sounds like the power steering in the car once you hit full lock,
    > or the 3point linkage on a tractor at full lift .... only not _quite_
    > as loud. Still, that hydraulic whine (which gets less after the water
    > warms up some) is always there. No kinks in the hoses, no elbows
    > used. Still, it's good to hear that there ARE quiet ones out there!
    >
    > -P.

    Apologies... that doesn't sound good at all :-(
    Now I'm only cooling the CPU, I run a passive cooling version of
    the Nvidia EN6600.

    Are you cooling other equipment on the motherboard, is this
    restricting flow and causing a pressure build up?

    I'm also guessing you used the coolant (anti-freeze) and distilled
    water?

    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)

    Malcolm, Aug 24, 2007
  4. In article <>,
    says...
    > Apologies... that doesn't sound good at all :-(
    > Now I'm only cooling the CPU, I run a passive cooling version of
    > the Nvidia EN6600.
    >
    > Are you cooling other equipment on the motherboard, is this
    > restricting flow and causing a pressure build up?

    Yes, well. 3 waterblocks here, and that may be the problem. But using a
    splitter doesn't seem such a good idea. Guess I could experiment by taking one
    or the other out of the loop, but that'd be extremely messy.

    > I'm also guessing you used the coolant (anti-freeze) and distilled
    > water?

    Yes. And that's one of the problems with experimenting: You use all the
    additive supplied when you fill the system up at first, so everytime you top it
    up with distilled water you thin it down more. I guess it would be ok to use
    some automotive aethylene glycol, it sure smells the same. But I am not _sure_.

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Aug 24, 2007
  5. Malcolm

    Don Hills Guest

    In article <>,
    Peter Huebner <> wrote:

    >Yes. And that's one of the problems with experimenting: You use all the
    >additive supplied when you fill the system up at first, so everytime you top it
    >up with distilled water you thin it down more. I guess it would be ok to use
    >some automotive aethylene glycol, it sure smells the same. But I am not _sure_.

    I'd have no hesitation in using auto antifreeze. It's certified safe for
    copper, aluminium, most rubbers and most plastics. And some brands have
    fluorescent dye in them, which looks really cool if you're using clear
    plastic tubing and a blacklight tube to illuminate the inside of the case.

    Actually, you don't need "antifreeze". Your PC cooling system is unlikely to
    be in any danger of freezing. You do need something to prevent algae growth
    and inhibit corrosion. Auto antifreeze contains corrosion and algae
    inhibitors. 90% distilled water and 10% auto antifreeze should work fine.
    More antifreeze than that will just reduce the cooling effectiveness without
    adding any benefit.

    Just my 2 cents...

    preparing you for the wonders of OS/2!"

    Don Hills, Aug 25, 2007