Re: 120 Gig HD Limit and Win XP upgrade

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Bill Eitner, Jul 19, 2008.

  1. Bill Eitner

    Bill Eitner Guest

    eDawg wrote:
    > I currently have a Windows 2000 Pro System with an 80 Gig Hard disk as the
    > primary and a 250 Gig as the secondary. The secondary disk is only seen as
    > a 120 Gig disk and from what I read this is a limitation of Windows that
    > was fixed in Windows XP Service Pack 1.

    I've never heard of that limitation.
    It sounds more like the 137 GB BIOS
    limitation. You may want to research
    that to arrive at a definitive answer.
    Hard drive manufacturers usually have
    info on their websites about that sort
    of thing. That is where I would start.

    > I am going to upgrade the system to Windows XP Sp 2 using the upgrade CD.

    Why? With older hardware 2000 works better
    (is more responsive).

    > But I also want to upgrade the primary Hard Disk to a 250 Gig Disk.

    Okay. Again, look into the possibility of
    a 137 GB BIOS limitation. Up until just
    recently I was using a 2001 vintage Shuttle
    mainboard that had that limitation and no
    manufacturer-provided BIOS update. The
    last setup was a 320 GB drive and a 400 GB
    drive. To get around the limitation I ran
    one drive on a PCI IDE expansion card and
    the other with an overlay (aka Dynamic Drive
    Overlay). Neither solution required XP.
    The rest of the system hardware was: a 900
    MHz Athlon processor and 1 GB of 100 MHz
    SDRAM. The mainboard, processor and memory
    was given to me in 2003. In those days there
    was a rash of mainboards that had defective
    filter capacitors (http://www.badcaps.net/)
    The bad capacitors caused frequent lockups.
    I changed out all of the effected capacitors
    and used the mainboard, processor and memory
    for close to 5 years. Now I'm running a 2004
    setup and the above setup is helping others
    learn about computers at the non-profit school
    I attend.

    > I think I am painting myself into a corner here. If I put in a brand new
    > Disk for the primary and I try to use the Win XP SP2 upgrade CD will the
    > upgrade process fail?

    Probably. Upgrade means just that.
    On the other hand, I forget. Just
    having the 2000 disk may be enough.
    Again, the drive limitation is not
    a good reason to change to XP.

    > I own the original Windows 2000 Pro Installation CD. Will the Win XP
    > Upgrade CD be happy to see that CD or is it going to be demanding some
    > traces of Win 2000 on the Hard Disk?

    I forget. I believe that having the disk
    is enough--but I may be wrong. If it were
    me, I'd look to other solutions and not
    look to the installation of XP to solve
    your problem.

    Bill Eitner, Jul 19, 2008