    It killed the Pentium 4.
    The next evolution in CPUs is likely to be GPUs, once programmers can figure
    out how to serial processes parallel.

    pickled, Nov 30, 2008

  2. pickled

    - Bobb - Guest

    "pickled" <> wrote in message
    news:MQpYk.9931$...
    > It's the heat.
    > It killed the Pentium 4.
    > The next evolution in CPUs is likely to be GPUs, once programmers can
    > figure out how to serial processes parallel.

    Also need to consider the code. A PC isn't going to need to operate at that
    speed while running ~ Vista for example. Easier to have "slower"/redundant
    CPU's rather than one superfast CPU. It would always be waiting for the code
    to execute unless solid state disk - then caching issue. There is a
    commercial/research market for that fast stuff ( Cray, etc) but not for the
    masses. It was one thing to go from a 386 to a 486 - Pentium , etc BUT most
    consumers can 'get by' with a 1,2,3 GHz CPU just fine and won't spend big
    bucks for a faster PC.

    There was a link in one of these newsgroups the other day ( I cannot find it
    now) that pointed to a picture of the instructions necessary to just open a
    webpage using IE : it was mind-boggling - so even if that could all happen
    at 100ghz, still waiting for memory, or a disk drive to spin, or server to
    reply etc.

    - Bobb -, Dec 10, 2008