Re: 10 minutes to boot?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by JANATARD, Jun 1, 2005.

  1. JANATARD

    JANATARD Guest

    Clean out the IE cache.

    --
    Poster: "My machine is very slow to boot up."
    JANA the JANATARD: "Clean out the IE cache."

    JANATARD, Jun 1, 2005

  2. JANATARD

    roach Guest

    "JANATARD" <> wrote in message
    > Clean out the IE cache.
    >
    > "grinder" <> wrote in message
    >> Upgraded from Me to xp on the 750Ghz. lap top. Hard disk is almost
    >> full after installing Norton IS.
    >>
    >> Now it takes 10-12 minutes to completely boot up.
    >>
    >> Any ideas?

    yeh!

    get a sledge hammer and smash that useless £20 laptop
    to fuckin smitherenes then go buy a new decent spec machine and then learn
    how to use a search engine and do most of the spadework yourself.
    your question could have at least 30 answers!!!

    roach

    roach, Jun 1, 2005

  3. JANATARD

    old jon Guest

    UNinstall norton (it doesn`t deserve a capital letter) it`s a resourse hog.
    Download `ccleaner` use it CAREfully, to clean out the crap on your
    computer. If your hard drive is nearly full, you`ve got problems. WinXP
    needs room to `breathe`. best wishes..J

    old jon, Jun 1, 2005
  4. JANATARD

    Woody Guest

    NI is no doubt your biggest problem. It needs at least a 2 gig processor
    just to run marginally. Then turn everything off in msconfig and start from
    there....

    Woody, Jun 1, 2005
  5. JANATARD

    Stillwater Guest

    >> Upgraded from Me to xp on the 750Ghz. lap top. Hard disk is almost
    >> full after installing Norton IS.
    >>
    >> Now it takes 10-12 minutes to completely boot up.
    >>
    >> Any ideas?

    Like others have said, when I fix software problems for people, one of the
    first things I do, before removing the spyware and viruses, is to remove all
    Symantec products.

    Stillwater, Jun 2, 2005
  6. Stillwater wrote:

    >>>Upgraded from Me to xp on the 750Ghz. lap top. Hard disk is almost
    >>>full after installing Norton IS.
    >>>
    >>>Now it takes 10-12 minutes to completely boot up.
    >>>
    >>>Any ideas?

    > Like others have said, when I fix software problems for people, one of the
    > first things I do, before removing the spyware and viruses, is to remove all
    > Symantec products.

    Mythology survives in the computer world.

    David Maynard, Jun 2, 2005
  7. JANATARD

    drg Guest

    David Maynard wrote:

    >> Like others have said, when I fix software problems for people, one of
    >> the first things I do, before removing the spyware and viruses, is to
    >> remove all Symantec products.
    >>

    > Mythology survives in the computer world.

    I have to agree. Norton 2005 seems, by far the worst yet.

    drg, Jun 2, 2005
  8. JANATARD

    Wizard Guest

    Now there is a really helpful and intelligent answer!

    Wizard, Jun 2, 2005
  9. JANATARD

    Sibeer Guest

    I do not know about the long boot-up time but I do know about Synantec. In
    all of the many years I have been using a computer the most troublesome
    products come from Symantec. For one thing it is just about impossible to
    remove them completely from the computer. They seem to release new versions
    without properly testing them just to have a new product on the market. I
    have been having a problem with one of there products for some time now and
    have ask for help to resolve it. To date none has worked. I get response
    that send me from one site to another then to another ad infinitem. Why to I
    still use their products, just dumb I suppose. I just think their
    anti-virus program is the best of the lot.

    Sibeer, Jun 2, 2005
  10. JANATARD

    Fuckknuckle Guest

    Sibeer wrote:
    > I do not know about the long boot-up time but I do know about Synantec. In
    > all of the many years I have been using a computer the most troublesome
    > products come from Symantec. For one thing it is just about impossible to
    > remove them completely from the computer. They seem to release new versions
    > without properly testing them just to have a new product on the market. I
    > have been having a problem with one of there products for some time now and
    > have ask for help to resolve it. To date none has worked. I get response
    > that send me from one site to another then to another ad infinitem. Why to I
    > still use their products, just dumb I suppose. I just think their
    > anti-virus program is the best of the lot.
    >

    > "drg" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>David Maynard wrote:

    >>>Mythology survives in the computer world.
    >>>

    >>I have to agree. Norton 2005 seems, by far the worst yet.

    Get AVG Free Antivirus, take a shit in the box that norton came in, and
    send it back to symantec

    Fuckknuckle, Jun 2, 2005
  11. JANATARD

    Donald Link Guest

    Stupid reply. Jerk! The most dumb thing a person can do is to use Win
    ME and the second is to upgrade to XP over it. The only solution is
    to format and do a fresh install period!

    Donald Link, Jun 3, 2005

    debbie shultz, Jun 3, 2005
  13. On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 16:01:17 -0600, Fuckknuckle <>
    wrote:

    >Get AVG Free Antivirus, take a shit in the box that norton came in, and
    >send it back to symantec

    I agree about AVG, the rest is a matter of personal discretion.

    --

    Julian Richards
    usenet "at" richardsuk.f9.co.uk

    Usenet is how from the comfort of your own living room, you can converse
    with people that you would never want in your house.

    Julian Richards, Jun 3, 2005
  14. JANATARD

    M.L. Guest

    >>Get AVG Free Antivirus, take a shit in the box that norton came in, and
    >>send it back to symantec

    >I agree about AVG, the rest is a matter of personal discretion.

    I removed Norton AV from my system and replaced it with AVG. Me and my
    computer couldn't be happier. It went from a 2.5 minute boot, to a
    30-45 second boot.

    I later realized I was using Norton Systemworks 2003 only for the
    Undelete module, and the other modules could be replaced by WinXP
    functions. When I found out about the freeware undelete called
    Restoration, I removed all the rest of Norton Systemworks and haven't
    regretted it since. And I had been a consistent Norton user since
    1993. But I got tired of the performance problems in the later years
    (and tech support problems in the earlier years).

    M.L., Jun 3, 2005

  15. > "grinder" <> wrote in message
    >> Upgraded from Me to xp on the 750Ghz. lap top. Hard disk is almost
    >> full after installing Norton IS.
    >>
    >> Now it takes 10-12 minutes to completely boot up.
    >>
    >> Any ideas?

    > --
    > Poster: "My machine is very slow to boot up."
    > JANA the JANATARD: "Clean out the IE cache."

    I have Norton AV and Firewall installed and I have experienced no slowdown
    since. I suspect the problem lies elsewhere.

    John Lynch, Jr., Jun 3, 2005
  16. JANATARD

    Ray Leon Guest

    On 6/1/05 6:28 AM, in article WJine.988$, "roach"
    <> wrote:

    > "JANATARD" <> wrote in message

    ..
    >> Clean out the IE cache.
    >>
    >> "grinder" <> wrote in message
    >>> Upgraded from Me to xp on the 750Ghz. lap top. Hard disk is almost
    >>> full after installing Norton IS.
    >>>
    >>> Now it takes 10-12 minutes to completely boot up.
    >>>
    >>> Any ideas?

    > yeh!
    >
    > get a sledge hammer and smash that useless £20 laptop
    > to fuckin smitherenes then go buy a new decent spec machine and then learn
    > how to use a search engine and do most of the spadework yourself.
    > your question could have at least 30 answers!!!
    >

    > roach

    This is not a very nice, answer! Mean peoples suck! Please apologize and
    refrain from such nastiness in the future...GGRRRHHH!!!

    Ray Leon, Jun 8, 2005