Re: 1.5tb drives!

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by ~misfit~, Oct 3, 2008.

  1. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Bobs" typed:
    > thing2 wrote:
    >> http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/Seagate-Barracuda-1-5-TB,review-31358.html

    > Currently I have
    >
    > 500gb drive
    > 250gb drive
    > 160gb drive
    > 640gb external drive
    > 40gb external drive
    >
    > 1.5TB would double that. Not bad for 300-odd.

    Yeah, I was thinking, I have 2 x 500MB and 2 x 320MB in this machine. Might
    be time to get a 1.5TB drive (one to start with) and swap out at least the 2
    x 320s and sell them on Trademe. It'll save power (1 drive vs 2), increase
    capacity and I'll probably get half of my money back (or more) on the 320s.

    Hmmmm.... Just need to wave the plastic to get the 1.5TB drive first.
    There's the rub.
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Oct 3, 2008

  2. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Puddle" typed:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Bobs" typed:
    >>>
    >>> 500gb drive
    >>> 250gb drive
    >>> 160gb drive
    >>> 640gb external drive
    >>> 40gb external drive
    >>>
    >>> 1.5TB would double that. Not bad for 300-odd.

    >> Yeah, I was thinking, I have 2 x 500MB and 2 x 320MB in this
    >> machine. Might be time to get a 1.5TB drive (one to start with) and
    >> swap out at least the 2 x 320s and sell them on Trademe. It'll save
    >> power (1 drive vs 2), increase capacity and I'll probably get half
    >> of my money back (or more) on the 320s. Hmmmm.... Just need to wave the
    >> plastic to get the 1.5TB drive first.
    >> There's the rub.

    > It is great how fast sizes are increasing.

    Isn't it though? I still remember vividly buying my first HDD that was
    measured in gigabytes, a Maxtor 1.7GB drive. On impulse I went to my old
    filing cabinet and looked for the receipt but didn't find it. I did however
    find some stuff from about that time, a receipt for a 15" KTX monitor ($450)
    and a 33.6 PCI modem ($125). I also found "backups" of my autoexec.bat and
    config.sys files, printed out copies. <g>

    > I recently bought a 500
    > gig drive and thought that was good value, well it was actually
    > because it isn't the top size and so was $110 inc gst and now I see
    > 1TB drives for 212 inc gst... While these sizes are great, it is
    > scary to think how much info can be lost when one drive dies and I'm
    > not the best with backups though I know I should be!

    Mmmm, I bought my two 500s at around $120 each and they're filling up
    rapidly. I backup what needs to be backed up from time to time <switches on
    second PC to copy a couple folders over, thanks for the prompt> like photos,
    email folder, documents folder with essential stuff like a running total of
    *exactly* how much I owe the banks...

    > If I win the powerball I will shout you a few 1.5TB drives so you can
    > save the plastic.

    Thanks. :) I went shopping today and didn't spend much as usual as I'm
    starting to get a few veges from the garden and a kind gentleman who I
    helped build a computer left me some bags of nuts this week. Soooo, I did
    what I always say is silly and bought the minimum price ticket that could
    win the big prize (I hope I'm proved wrong about it being silly, at leasy in
    this incidence).

    Therefore, back at ya! If I win the powerball I'll return the favour and buy
    you a few 1.5TB HDDs too.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Oct 4, 2008

  3. In message <48e70653$>, Puddle wrote:

    > While these sizes are great, it is scary to think how
    > much info can be lost when one drive dies ...

    There's another, more subtle problem, in that these capacities are hitting
    the limitations of drive error rates. That is, if you do a read of every
    sector in the disk, the odds are increasing that you're going to hit an I/O
    error at some point, even on a perfectly good disk.

    Current filesystems don't deal well with this--if there's an error, the data
    is gone. That's why people are working on next-generation filesystems, like
    ZFS, HAMMER and btrfs, to cope with these huge,
    less-than-perfectly-reliable drives.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 4, 2008
  4. In message <>, tankman wrote:

    > Imagine defragging the blighter as well.

    Just use an OS and filesystem that doesn't require defragging. :)

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 10, 2008
  5. On Thu, 9 Oct 2008 21:00:20 -0500, tankman <> wrote:

    >alakazam;9211286 Wrote:
    >> Wow 1.5TB you could store the universe on that LOL!
    >> :p

    >Err not quite, maybe 2TB tho.
    >Imagine defragging the blighter as well.

    Its not so bad, as if you are using a drive that big, you are usually
    using it for huge files. My TV programs are a minimum of 1 Gibyte
    each, up to over 5 Gibytes for an hour of DVB-T HD TV. And Vista does
    defrag in the background once a week by default. It seems to
    automatically pause when you want to do something else.

    Stephen Worthington, Oct 10, 2008
  6. ~misfit~

    Richard Guest

    Stephen Worthington wrote:
    > On Thu, 9 Oct 2008 21:00:20 -0500, tankman <> wrote:
    >
    >> alakazam;9211286 Wrote:
    >>> Wow 1.5TB you could store the universe on that LOL!
    >>> :p

    >> Err not quite, maybe 2TB tho.
    >> Imagine defragging the blighter as well.

    > Its not so bad, as if you are using a drive that big, you are usually
    > using it for huge files. My TV programs are a minimum of 1 Gibyte
    > each, up to over 5 Gibytes for an hour of DVB-T HD TV. And Vista does
    > defrag in the background once a week by default. It seems to
    > automatically pause when you want to do something else.

    Plus you only get fragmentation when you start to write big files to a
    near full drive and since even 1% free on a 1.5TB drive is massive, it
    should never have to fragment files into the gaps when adding to it.

    Richard, Oct 10, 2008
  7. On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 21:32:45 +1300, Richard <> wrote:

    >Stephen Worthington wrote:

    >>> Err not quite, maybe 2TB tho.
    >>> Imagine defragging the blighter as well.

    >> Its not so bad, as if you are using a drive that big, you are usually
    >> using it for huge files. My TV programs are a minimum of 1 Gibyte
    >> each, up to over 5 Gibytes for an hour of DVB-T HD TV. And Vista does
    >> defrag in the background once a week by default. It seems to
    >> automatically pause when you want to do something else.

    >Plus you only get fragmentation when you start to write big files to a
    >near full drive and since even 1% free on a 1.5TB drive is massive, it
    >should never have to fragment files into the gaps when adding to it.

    Well, fragmentation is a relative thing. 1% of 1.5 Tbytes is 15
    Gbytes. When there is only 15 Gbytes left on your 1.5 Tbyte drive and
    your file sizes are 5+ Gibytes, then I think you will get
    fragmentation happening. The fragments will probably be larger, but
    still a problem. If your file size was only 100 Mibytes in the same
    situation, there would likely be no problem.

    Stephen Worthington, Oct 10, 2008