    Cliff

    --

    "I LOVE IT!!" - someone on a newsgroup, somewhere.

    Enkidu, Jul 11, 2008

  2. Enkidu

    Mutley Guest

    Enkidu <> wrote:

    >Freesias wrote:
    >>
    >> Using a Raid array?
    >>

    >And also.... Most array controllers will only support RAID disks up to 2GB.
    >
    >Cheers,
    >
    >Cliff

    Small raids huh??

    Mutley, Jul 11, 2008

  3. Enkidu

    Enkidu Guest

    Mutley wrote:
    > Enkidu <> wrote:
    >
    >> Freesias wrote:
    >>> Using a Raid array?
    >>>

    >> And also.... Most array controllers will only support RAID disks up to 2GB.

    > Small raids huh??

    Heh! I meant 2TB.....

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    --

    "I LOVE IT!!" - someone on a newsgroup, somewhere.

    Enkidu, Jul 11, 2008
  4. Enkidu

    Enkidu Guest

    Freesias wrote:
    > On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 23:28:14 +1200, Enkidu wrote:
    >
    >> Mutley wrote:

    >>> Small raids huh??
    >> >

    >> Heh! I meant 2TB.....

    > ... at the moment.

    Have only done so for what seems like freeking ages!

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    --

    "I LOVE IT!!" - someone on a newsgroup, somewhere.

    Enkidu, Jul 12, 2008
  5. Enkidu

    Enkidu Guest

    Freesias wrote:

    >>> ... at the moment.
    >>>

    >> Have only done so for what seems like freeking ages!

    > Yes - but now we have 1T discs and are soon to have 1.5T discs.
    >
    > I expect that before long there will be 3T & 6T discs.
    >
    > And of course, such storage capacity in a HDD was a vague dream only as
    > little as 5 years ago.

    What has that to do with anything, Lennier?

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    --

    "I LOVE IT!!" - someone on a newsgroup, somewhere.

    Enkidu, Jul 13, 2008
  6. Enkidu

    Enkidu Guest

    Freesias wrote:

    >>> Yes - but now we have 1T discs and are soon to have 1.5T discs.
    >>>
    >>> I expect that before long there will be 3T & 6T discs.
    >>>
    >>> And of course, such storage capacity in a HDD was a vague dream
    >>> only as little as 5 years ago.
    >>>

    >> What has that to do with anything, Lennier?

    > Capacity will always continue to expand. To say that a system has a
    > fixed and finite capacity is to say that it has no future.

    I don't think you read the threads properly. I was complaining that most
    (if not all) RAID controllers have a two TB limit on the Virtual Disk
    size. I accidentally said two GB. Not that there was any OS file system
    size limit.

    What that means is the best you can do with two 1TB disks is to use
    RAID1. Three disks will give you RAID 5 but you lose 1TB in 3! Four 1TB
    disks cannot be formatted as any sort of RAID.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    --

    "I LOVE IT!!" - someone on a newsgroup, somewhere.

    Enkidu, Jul 13, 2008
  7. Enkidu

    Enkidu Guest

    Freesias wrote:
    > On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 20:58:47 +1200, Enkidu wrote:
    >
    >> Freesias wrote:

    >>> Capacity will always continue to expand. To say that a system has a
    >>> fixed and finite capacity is to say that it has no future.
    >>>

    >> I don't think you read the threads properly. I was complaining that most
    >> (if not all) RAID controllers have a two TB limit on the Virtual Disk
    >> size. I accidentally said two GB. Not that there was any OS file system
    >> size limit.
    >>
    >> What that means is the best you can do with two 1TB disks is to use
    >> RAID1. Three disks will give you RAID 5 but you lose 1TB in 3! Four 1TB
    >> disks cannot be formatted as any sort of RAID.

    > Given that 1.5T discs are about to be released for sale I would expect
    > that RAID controllers would be expanded to use the available hardware in
    > all RAID configurations.

    I would hope so, but I do not see any in the pipeline.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    --

    "I LOVE IT!!" - someone on a newsgroup, somewhere.

    Enkidu, Jul 13, 2008