Re: 0800 callthrough

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Theo Markettos, Jul 22, 2010.

  1. Peter <> wrote:
    [0800 VOIP DID numbers]
    > When you dial an 0800, the recipient of the 0800 call pays some fee
    > per minute, and while you indicate you can get an 0800 that charges
    > only 2p/min (who, by the way, that's an impressively low fee), that
    > does not mean the companies you have used or wish to use will pay a
    > similar fee. They may have locked in for several years at 8p/min.

    Fair point. That may be the case for the local plumber on a long contract.
    But if anyone's setting up a callthrough company the whole business model
    depends on these charges being low, otherwise nobody would use them. They
    don't care about changing numbers, so they'll pick the cheapest incoming
    tariff.

    Don't forget the price of receiving the call doesn't include the cost to
    forward (eg to a mobile). But for VOIP termination there is no transit
    cost. Some examples of people providing 0800 DID numbers:

    2p/min plus 5 pounds/month (tenner for connection) was the first hit on
    Google for '0800 voip':
    http://www.voiptalk.org/products/0800 Freephone VoIP Number
    2p/min plus 65 quid connection:
    http://www.voipon.co.uk/0800-uk-voip-freephone-number-p-483.html

    This one looks like a fiver connection plus 2p/min with no monthly fee, or
    500 mins for 4.50/month:
    http://0800.uk2numbers.co.uk/0800-Numbers.cfm
    That might just work for me... anyone have any experiences of
    uk2numbers.co.uk? Are they connected with uk2.net?

    [Followups set to uk.telecom.voip]

    Theo

    Theo Markettos, Jul 22, 2010

  2. Theo Markettos

    Ivor Jones Guest

    On 22/07/10 18:38, Theo Markettos wrote:

    [snip]

    > This one looks like a fiver connection plus 2p/min with no monthly fee, or
    > 500 mins for 4.50/month:
    > http://0800.uk2numbers.co.uk/0800-Numbers.cfm
    > That might just work for me... anyone have any experiences of
    > uk2numbers.co.uk? Are they connected with uk2.net?

    I have a couple of numbers with them, but not had them for long enough
    to make much in the way of comment. They're ok if you don't want to
    change the divert destination very often, but it gets expensive if you
    want to do it more than once a month or so.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Jul 24, 2010

  3. Ivor Jones <> wrote:
    > On 22/07/10 18:38, Theo Markettos wrote:
    > > That might just work for me... anyone have any experiences of
    > > uk2numbers.co.uk? Are they connected with uk2.net?

    > I have a couple of numbers with them, but not had them for long enough
    > to make much in the way of comment. They're ok if you don't want to
    > change the divert destination very often, but it gets expensive if you
    > want to do it more than once a month or so.

    Interesting. Is that diverting to another PSTN number? Or VOIP?
    Do they charge per config change? Does CLID come through OK (and can you
    reject calls if you don't like the CLID and not be charged?)

    It looks like they claim to do VOIP, but in fact divert to a PSTN number
    which may or may not be attached to a VOIP account. Sounds rather braindead
    to me...

    Theo

    Theo Markettos, Jul 25, 2010
  4. Theo Markettos

    Ivor Jones Guest

    On 25/07/10 21:20, Theo Markettos wrote:
    > Ivor Jones<> wrote:
    >> On 22/07/10 18:38, Theo Markettos wrote:
    >>> That might just work for me... anyone have any experiences of
    >>> uk2numbers.co.uk? Are they connected with uk2.net?

    >> I have a couple of numbers with them, but not had them for long enough
    >> to make much in the way of comment. They're ok if you don't want to
    >> change the divert destination very often, but it gets expensive if you
    >> want to do it more than once a month or so.

    > Interesting. Is that diverting to another PSTN number? Or VOIP?
    > Do they charge per config change? Does CLID come through OK (and can you
    > reject calls if you don't like the CLID and not be charged?)
    >
    > It looks like they claim to do VOIP, but in fact divert to a PSTN number
    > which may or may not be attached to a VOIP account. Sounds rather braindead
    > to me...

    They simply divert to a PSTN number, whatever it's attached to. They
    claim all routing is done over BT rather than VoIP and claim it as a
    selling point, in that (they say) it gives better quality.

    The basic no-monthly-rental account charges £9.95 every time you change
    the destination number, but £19.95 if you do it more than once a month.
    If you need to change it more often then you have to sign up to their
    "Unlimited Redirect" service which is £59.95 per year.

    No idea about CLID, the elderly analogue PBX here doesn't pass it
    through, but I think you can set it up to display your own CLI rather
    than the caller's so as to determine if a call is coming in on the 0800
    number or the one it's pointed at.

    No idea about rejecting calls, I'm afraid. I suspect not as it seems
    quite a simple service but it's adequate for my use and cheap enough for
    the low call volumes I get.

    One thing they don't mention on their website is that although it's
    2p/min for incoming calls, there's a 5p minimum charge so it's not quite
    as cheap if you get a lot of short calls.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Jul 25, 2010
  5. Ivor Jones <> wrote:
    > The basic no-monthly-rental account charges £9.95 every time you change
    > the destination number, but £19.95 if you do it more than once a month.
    > If you need to change it more often then you have to sign up to their
    > "Unlimited Redirect" service which is £59.95 per year.

    Ah. Nice that they mention this on the website. Is the first time included
    in the initial setup fee?

    > No idea about rejecting calls, I'm afraid. I suspect not as it seems
    > quite a simple service but it's adequate for my use and cheap enough for
    > the low call volumes I get.

    I wasn't asking for anything fancy: just I was hoping that if I don't answer
    the call that I won't be charged. I can decide who to answer by CLID as
    long as that is passed through, and I don't care what happens to callers who
    aren't on the pass list, as long as they don't cost me.

    > One thing they don't mention on their website is that although it's
    > 2p/min for incoming calls, there's a 5p minimum charge so it's not quite
    > as cheap if you get a lot of short calls.

    Sigh. Another thing they omit to mention. In my case that hopefully
    shouldn't be a problem. It /is/ a minimum charge, not a connection fee?

    Theo

    Theo Markettos, Jul 26, 2010
  6. Theo Markettos <> wrote:
    > Ivor Jones <> wrote:
    > > The basic no-monthly-rental account charges £9.95 every time you change
    > > the destination number, but £19.95 if you do it more than once a month.
    > > If you need to change it more often then you have to sign up to their
    > > "Unlimited Redirect" service which is £59.95 per year.

    > Ah. Nice that they mention this on the website. Is the first time
    > included in the initial setup fee?

    I mailed them, and got a quick reply:

    <quote>
    The 0800 number registration fee (starting at £4.95) is a one off cost and
    it has nothing to do with incoming call charges. The £9.95 monthly Call Plan
    rental is related to incoming call charges and it applies to each calendar
    month.

    The 5 pence minimum call charges includes the first 2 minutes and 30 seconds
    of each received call and this applies to all 0800 numbers with diversion to
    UK land line numbers.

    You will be able to identify caller's telephone number the same way as if
    they have dialled your land line number directly.
    You will not be charged for calls which are not picked up and incoming call
    charges are calculated only after the call is answered.

    Our full services price list is available to download at:
    http://www.uk2numbers.co.uk/download/UK2NPriceList0609.pdf
    </quote>

    Which looks reasonable (though it implies setup is 14.90 not 4.95). If only
    they had said all that on the website...

    Theo

    Theo Markettos, Jul 27, 2010