Re: [070] Ofcom plans future of UK Telephone Numbering

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Solario, Jul 27, 2006.

  1. Solario

    Solario Guest

    Paul Cupis wrote:
    > Ofcom plans future of UK Telephone Numbering
    > http://www.ofcom.org.uk/media/news/2006/07/nr_20060727
    >
    > *******
    > Ofcom is also taking specific action to prevent scams on 070 personal
    > numbers, which are often confused with mobile numbers. Ofcom will end
    > 070 personal numbering allocations from the end of 2007, and from early
    > 2007 customers will have to get a pre-call announcement of call charges
    > for any calls above a certain price.
    >
    > During 2007 Ofcom will assess demand for genuine personal numbering
    > services and may then open replacement 06 numbers for them. This will
    > allow 07 numbers to be used only for mobile services, ending any
    > potential confusion.
    > *******

    Well thank you Ofcom! I seriously believed when I took a personal
    number, just after they were first introduced, that it was mine for
    life. I do not abuse it. Potential customers and my family can reach
    me wherever I am. At times my personal number even reaches me on my
    mobile in the US.

    Why should people like me be punished because others have abused the
    system?

    S.
    Solario, Jul 27, 2006

  2. Solario

    Paul Cupis Guest

    Solario wrote:
    > Paul Cupis wrote:
    >> Ofcom plans future of UK Telephone Numbering
    >> http://www.ofcom.org.uk/media/news/2006/07/nr_20060727
    >>
    >> *******
    >> Ofcom is also taking specific action to prevent scams on 070 personal
    >> numbers, which are often confused with mobile numbers. Ofcom will end
    >> 070 personal numbering allocations from the end of 2007, and from early
    >> 2007 customers will have to get a pre-call announcement of call charges
    >> for any calls above a certain price.
    >>
    >> During 2007 Ofcom will assess demand for genuine personal numbering
    >> services and may then open replacement 06 numbers for them. This will
    >> allow 07 numbers to be used only for mobile services, ending any
    >> potential confusion.
    >> *******

    > Well thank you Ofcom! I seriously believed when I took a personal
    > number, just after they were first introduced, that it was mine for
    > life. I do not abuse it. Potential customers and my family can reach
    > me wherever I am. At times my personal number even reaches me on my
    > mobile in the US.
    >
    > Why should people like me be punished because others have abused the
    > system?

    I don't think that they will be revoking the existing PNS number, they
    say that they will not be issuing any more 070 ranges to operators from
    the end of 2007.

    After that, PNS call with charges greater than a threshold (to be
    defined, maybe 20ppm), will have to have a charge-announcement.

    I do not think they are saying that you'll have to surrender your
    current 070 number (or that it will be removed by them).

    Of course, the PNS number is not really /yours/, but belongs to the
    range holder (as assigned by Ofcom).
    Paul Cupis, Jul 27, 2006

  3. Solario

    Solario Guest

    Paul Cupis wrote:
    > Solario wrote:
    > > Paul Cupis wrote:
    > >> Ofcom plans future of UK Telephone Numbering
    > >> http://www.ofcom.org.uk/media/news/2006/07/nr_20060727
    > >>
    > >> *******
    > >> Ofcom is also taking specific action to prevent scams on 070 personal
    > >> numbers, which are often confused with mobile numbers. Ofcom will end
    > >> 070 personal numbering allocations from the end of 2007, and from early
    > >> 2007 customers will have to get a pre-call announcement of call charges
    > >> for any calls above a certain price.
    > >>
    > >> During 2007 Ofcom will assess demand for genuine personal numbering
    > >> services and may then open replacement 06 numbers for them. This will
    > >> allow 07 numbers to be used only for mobile services, ending any
    > >> potential confusion.
    > >> *******

    > > Well thank you Ofcom! I seriously believed when I took a personal
    > > number, just after they were first introduced, that it was mine for
    > > life. I do not abuse it. Potential customers and my family can reach
    > > me wherever I am. At times my personal number even reaches me on my
    > > mobile in the US.
    > >
    > > Why should people like me be punished because others have abused the
    > > system?

    > I don't think that they will be revoking the existing PNS number, they
    > say that they will not be issuing any more 070 ranges to operators from
    > the end of 2007.
    >
    > After that, PNS call with charges greater than a threshold (to be
    > defined, maybe 20ppm), will have to have a charge-announcement.
    >
    > I do not think they are saying that you'll have to surrender your
    > current 070 number (or that it will be removed by them).
    >
    > Of course, the PNS number is not really /yours/, but belongs to the
    > range holder (as assigned by Ofcom).

    Thanks Paul,

    Digital Mail/Redstone told me that it was mine! :)

    BTW, it is a 07050. Does anyone know where can I locate the current
    cost for calling it? I believe it is not especially expensive to call.

    S.
    Solario, Jul 27, 2006
  4. Solario

    Jono Guest

    Solario explained :
    > Paul Cupis wrote:
    >> Solario wrote:

    >>> Well thank you Ofcom! I seriously believed when I took a personal
    >>> number, just after they were first introduced, that it was mine for
    >>> life. I do not abuse it. Potential customers and my family can reach
    >>> me wherever I am. At times my personal number even reaches me on my
    >>> mobile in the US.
    >>>
    >>> Why should people like me be punished because others have abused the
    >>> system?

    >> I don't think that they will be revoking the existing PNS number, they
    >> say that they will not be issuing any more 070 ranges to operators from
    >> the end of 2007.
    >>
    >> After that, PNS call with charges greater than a threshold (to be
    >> defined, maybe 20ppm), will have to have a charge-announcement.
    >>
    >> I do not think they are saying that you'll have to surrender your
    >> current 070 number (or that it will be removed by them).
    >>
    >> Of course, the PNS number is not really /yours/, but belongs to the
    >> range holder (as assigned by Ofcom).

    > Thanks Paul,
    >
    > Digital Mail/Redstone told me that it was mine! :)
    >
    > BTW, it is a 07050. Does anyone know where can I locate the current
    > cost for calling it? I believe it is not especially expensive to call.
    >
    > S.

    I think you are mistaken
    <http://www.serviceview.bt.com/list/current/docs/Call_Charges.boo/00161.htm>

    07050 is either j or k rate - 31.99p or 37.495, depending on the 6th
    digit.
    Jono, Jul 27, 2006
  5. Solario

    Andy Pandy Guest

    Andy Pandy, Jul 27, 2006
  6. Solario

    news Guest

    In message <eab0a3$kh$>, Paul Cupis
    <> writes

    Erm, what they said was:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    During 2007 Ofcom will assess demand for genuine personal numbering
    services and may then open replacement 06 numbers for them.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    To me, this means that there is a real possibility that 07 personal
    numbers will be replaced by 06 numbers if the demand for genuine 07
    personal numbers is not perceived to be high enough.

    --
    Ian
    news, Jul 28, 2006
  7. Solario

    Paul Cupis Guest

    news wrote:
    > In message <eab0a3$kh$>, Paul Cupis
    > <> writes
    >>
    >> I don't think that they will be revoking the existing PNS number, they
    >> say that they will not be issuing any more 070 ranges to operators from
    >> the end of 2007.
    >>
    >> I do not think they are saying that you'll have to surrender your
    >> current 070 number (or that it will be removed by them).
    >>

    > Erm, what they said was:
    > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    > During 2007 Ofcom will assess demand for genuine personal numbering
    > services and may then open replacement 06 numbers for them.
    > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    >
    > To me, this means that there is a real possibility that 07 personal
    > numbers will be replaced by 06 numbers if the demand for genuine 07
    > personal numbers is not perceived to be high enough.

    Ah yes, sorry, I was thinking of the shorter term of 2007 (which is when
    most of the changes in the document are slated for).

    ******
    If 06 is opened then [end of 2007], current 070 services would be
    expected to transfer by the end of July 2009, and we would cease to
    allocate new 070 personal numbers after 2007. As part of this review
    Ofcom will attempt to contact all providers who have been allocated 070
    personal numbers.
    ******
    Paul Cupis, Jul 28, 2006