    thru his d-link dsl-504g from the internet?

    I did a search but didn't see much information about it.

    Evans

    Evans, Nov 14, 2005

  2. Evans

    Mark C Guest

    "Evans" <> wrote in
    news::

    > Hi,
    >
    > a friend of mine is wondering if he could connect his PC (WinXP)
    > with RDP thru his d-link dsl-504g from the internet?
    >
    > I did a search but didn't see much information about it.

    You will need to port-forward port 3389 to the PC.
    This site:
    http://www.portforward.com/
    .... may help with how to forward ports for your router.

    For (some, small) security, you may want to change the port used:
    http://www.sanx.org/tipShow.asp?index=80

    Opening that (or any) RDP port will create the possibility of someone
    connecting in and attempting to hack the password.
    So:
    - Use a non-standard port
    - Use a very strong passord
    - Disable all default 'guest' and administrator accounts
    - If you can (I don't know how) create a VPN on the PC; the outside
    PC must first login to the VPN and then uses RDP locally
    - If you know the IP address which will be accessing the PC (the
    client IP), then a third-party (non MS) firewalls can be configured
    to only open up the RDP port to that known IP (I believe ZoneAlarm
    can do this)

    HTH
    Mark

    Mark C, Nov 14, 2005

  3. Evans

    Not Dave Guest

    On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 23:47:07 +1300, "Evans" <>
    growled these words from under a rock:

    >Hi,
    >
    >a friend of mine is wondering if he could connect his PC (WinXP) with RDP
    >thru his d-link dsl-504g from the internet?
    >
    >I did a search but didn't see much information about it.

    Yes.

    He needs to create a new Port Forwarding rule through the router to
    port forward the RDP port (3389) to his machine.

    1. Log in to your router.
    2. Click "Advanced" at the top, then "Port Forwarding" at the left.
    3. Enter an arbitrary name, Private IP = LAN IP of the machine to
    forward to, Protocol = TCP, then Port Start, End and Map = 3389.
    4. Click Apply
    5. Restart the router.

    If you are with Orcon, or pretty much any ISP other than Xtra, you
    will have a static IP. You can find out what it is by going to
    www.whatismyip.com from any machine on the LAN. This is the address
    you connect to with Remote Desktop.

    If you do not have a Static IP, it will change regularly. You will
    need to use something like a No-IP (www.no-ip.com) to keep track of
    what your IP is.

    Let us know how you get on.

    Not Dave, Nov 14, 2005
  4. Evans

    JohnO Guest

    Not Dave wrote:
    > On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 23:47:07 +1300, "Evans" <>
    > growled these words from under a rock:
    >
    > >Hi,
    > >
    > >a friend of mine is wondering if he could connect his PC (WinXP) with RDP
    > >thru his d-link dsl-504g from the internet?
    > >
    > >I did a search but didn't see much information about it.

    > Yes.
    >
    > He needs to create a new Port Forwarding rule through the router to
    > port forward the RDP port (3389) to his machine.
    >
    > 1. Log in to your router.
    > 2. Click "Advanced" at the top, then "Port Forwarding" at the left.
    > 3. Enter an arbitrary name, Private IP = LAN IP of the machine to
    > forward to, Protocol = TCP, then Port Start, End and Map = 3389.
    > 4. Click Apply
    > 5. Restart the router.
    >
    > If you are with Orcon, or pretty much any ISP other than Xtra, you
    > will have a static IP. You can find out what it is by going to
    > www.whatismyip.com from any machine on the LAN. This is the address
    > you connect to with Remote Desktop.
    >
    > If you do not have a Static IP, it will change regularly. You will
    > need to use something like a No-IP (www.no-ip.com) to keep track of
    > what your IP is.
    >
    > Let us know how you get on.

    Dunno about the dlink, but my netgear modem/router/switch/wifi unit
    knows about dyndns and will notify dyndns of the WAN IP whenever it
    gets its DHCP ip from the ISP.

    JohnO, Nov 14, 2005
  5. Evans

    Mark C Guest

    "Evans" <> wrote in

    > Hi,
    >
    > a friend of mine is wondering if he could connect his PC (WinXP)
    > with RDP thru his d-link dsl-504g from the internet?
    >
    > I did a search but didn't see much information about it.

    Oh...

    IIRC, WinXP Home does not allow incoming RDP. It only allows Remote
    Assistance, which must be initiated from the XP PC itself.
    (I suppose you could create a remote assistance request and set an
    extremely large timout?)

    WinXP Professional does allow incoming RDP.

    UltraVnc may be another alternative.
    http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net/

    Mark

    Mark C, Nov 14, 2005