RCR-V3 (Rechargeable CR-V3) Li-ion vs NiMH AA

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by John Navas, Mar 4, 2004.

  1. John Navas

    John Navas Guest

    Many digital cameras are designed to use either CR-V3 batteries or AA
    batteries. (One CR-V3 is equivalent to 2 AA cells.) The usual recommendation
    is to use rechargeable NiMH AA batteries rather than disposable CR-V3
    batteries. A new alternative is the RCR-V3 (Rechargeable CR-V3) Lithium-Ion
    battery.

    Although they are significantly more expensive than NiMH AA batteries, RCR-V3
    batteries will *outperform* 2300 mAH NiMH AA batteries in digital cameras, in
    addition to advantages of lighter weight, lower self-discharge, faster flash
    recovery, and better cold performance. See:
    <http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/rcrv3.html>
    <http://www.steves-digicams.com/nimh_batteries.html#crv3>
    <http://www.thomas-distributing.com/rcr-v3-index.htm>

    --
    Best regards,
    John Navas

    John Navas, Mar 4, 2004

  2. John Navas

    Ron G Guest

    I'm using the DigiPower set available at Amazon/J&R for about $35 in my
    D-560. Amazing improvement over two NiMH's. However, I am a little
    confused about the compatibility of different batteries with each other
    and various chargers. Unfortunately, I learned about this after my
    purchase. DigiPower is yet to offer a battery without charger and in an
    e-mail to me they said they hoped to have one on the market late
    April-early May. And, Thomas has not answered my question about whether
    their standalones can be used in my charger. Interestingly, there is
    absolutely no voltage information on the battery or charger and I've
    noticed that the advertising for other batteries has little to say about
    that issue. Clarification welcome! I hope we're not in a muddle of
    incompatibility, but wouldn't be surprised if we are. Does it make a
    difference that the batteries themselves contain the circuitry to
    prevent over-charging, over-heating, etc?

    Ron G, Mar 5, 2004