    that take AA batteries. Can a pair of good (2500mAH+) NiMH AA
    batteries be used in place of the CR-V3 type batteries?

    Thanks

    Raoul, Aug 15, 2007

  2. Raoul

    Dave Cohen Guest

    Raoul wrote:
    > I'm looking at a camera that uses CR-V3 Li Batteries or RCR-V3
    > rechargeable Li-Ion batteries. These can also be used as in cameras
    > that take AA batteries. Can a pair of good (2500mAH+) NiMH AA
    > batteries be used in place of the CR-V3 type batteries?
    >
    > Thanks

    Some cameras accept either, but best to check actual specs. You'll get
    fewer shots with NiMH but save a lot of money. Late model cameras get
    hundreds of shots from NiMH so it's not a problem.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Aug 15, 2007

  3. Raoul

    ASAAR Guest

    On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 20:26:38 -0400, Raoul wrote:

    > I'm looking at a camera that uses CR-V3 Li Batteries or RCR-V3
    > rechargeable Li-Ion batteries. These can also be used as in cameras
    > that take AA batteries. Can a pair of good (2500mAH+) NiMH AA
    > batteries be used in place of the CR-V3 type batteries?

    It depends on the camera, so you might get a better answer if you
    either download the camera's manual or mention which camera you're
    considering. Most cameras that use CR-V3 batteries should also work
    well using NiMH AA batteries, but there may be an oddball camera or
    two that won't perform well if you don't use the batteries it was
    designed for. The manual should state which batteries are
    compatible as well as how many shots you can expect to get. Someone
    may have the same camera and may be able to share their experience.

    FWIW, the first camera manual I checked was for Kodak's C663, and
    it rates CR-V3 lithium batteries from 350 to 500 shots, and lithium
    AA cells from 250 to 350 shots, so the ones you'd want to use would
    depend mostly on their prices. The lithium AA cells, btw, should
    have about a 5 year longer shelf life and should also work much
    better in very cold temperatures.

    The number of shots using NiMH AA cells will depend on their
    capacity, with 200 to 300 for 2100mAh NiMH AA cells, about 238 to
    357 shots for 2,500mAh cells and from 257 to 386 shots for 2,700mAh
    AA cells.

    Kodak has a guide that can help select the best battery type to
    use depending on how the camera will be used, but it's not a perfect
    guide since it doesn't consider some of the newer, more efficient
    cameras, and it was probably written before the latest Eneloop (very
    low self discharge rate) type NiMH batteries became available.

    http://www.kodak.com/global/en/service/batteries/batteryUsage.jhtml

    ASAAR, Aug 15, 2007
  4. Raoul

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Raoul wrote:
    > I'm looking at a camera that uses CR-V3 Li Batteries or RCR-V3
    > rechargeable Li-Ion batteries. These can also be used as in cameras
    > that take AA batteries. Can a pair of good (2500mAH+) NiMH AA
    > batteries be used in place of the CR-V3 type batteries?
    >
    > Thanks

    Normally, yes.

    Ron Hunter, Aug 15, 2007
  5. Raoul

    SMS Guest

    On Aug 14, 5:26 pm, Raoul <> wrote:
    > I'm looking at a camera that uses CR-V3 Li Batteries or RCR-V3
    > rechargeable Li-Ion batteries. These can also be used as in cameras
    > that take AA batteries. Can a pair of good (2500mAH+) NiMH AA
    > batteries be used in place of the CR-V3 type batteries?
    >
    > Thanks

    Normally no. You'll just have to try. Going the other way like that
    often does not work. CR-V3 batteries start off at about 3.8-3.9 volts,
    and the camera shuts down at about 3.1 volts. With two NiMH AA cells
    you're only at around 2.5 volts fresh off the charger. Lithium AA
    cells begin at about 1.8 volts, so two would be 3.6 volts and would
    work (assuming the camera can physically accept two AA cells), but of
    course these are not rechargeable.

    Also remember, the camera has to have the battery contacts in place to
    use two AA cells rather than a single CR-V3 battery. If it has those
    contacts that connect the two AA batteries in series inside the
    battery compartment, then they probably designed it to work with the
    lower voltages of NiMH and Alkaline batteries, and may have a switch
    to specify the battery type being used.

    The RCR-V3 batteries aren't two expensive, so why would you want to do
    this anyway?

    "http://sterlingtek.com/recrba.html"
    "http://sterlingtek.com/crbachkit.html"

    Personally, a camera that used CR-V3 batteries would be unacceptable
    to me. These batteries are lower capacity and higher cost than
    proprietary Li-Ion batteries and NiMH batteries.

    Steve
    "http://batterydata.com"
    Earth's Independent Source for Unbiased Digital Camera Battery
    Information

    SMS, Aug 16, 2007
  6. Raoul

    Ron Hunter Guest

    SMS wrote:
    > On Aug 14, 5:26 pm, Raoul <> wrote:
    >> I'm looking at a camera that uses CR-V3 Li Batteries or RCR-V3
    >> rechargeable Li-Ion batteries. These can also be used as in cameras
    >> that take AA batteries. Can a pair of good (2500mAH+) NiMH AA
    >> batteries be used in place of the CR-V3 type batteries?
    >>
    >> Thanks

    > Normally no. You'll just have to try. Going the other way like that
    > often does not work. CR-V3 batteries start off at about 3.8-3.9 volts,
    > and the camera shuts down at about 3.1 volts. With two NiMH AA cells
    > you're only at around 2.5 volts fresh off the charger. Lithium AA
    > cells begin at about 1.8 volts, so two would be 3.6 volts and would
    > work (assuming the camera can physically accept two AA cells), but of
    > course these are not rechargeable.
    >
    > Also remember, the camera has to have the battery contacts in place to
    > use two AA cells rather than a single CR-V3 battery. If it has those
    > contacts that connect the two AA batteries in series inside the
    > battery compartment, then they probably designed it to work with the
    > lower voltages of NiMH and Alkaline batteries, and may have a switch
    > to specify the battery type being used.
    >
    > The RCR-V3 batteries aren't two expensive, so why would you want to do
    > this anyway?
    >
    > "http://sterlingtek.com/recrba.html"
    > "http://sterlingtek.com/crbachkit.html"
    >
    > Personally, a camera that used CR-V3 batteries would be unacceptable
    > to me. These batteries are lower capacity and higher cost than
    > proprietary Li-Ion batteries and NiMH batteries.
    >
    > Steve
    > "http://batterydata.com"
    > Earth's Independent Source for Unbiased Digital Camera Battery
    > Information

    I see no advantage to the CRV3 today, but they were useful before the
    advent of AA lithium disposables. My first camera would allow CRV3, or
    two NIMH, or two AA lithium batteries, but NOT AA alkalines.
    My current one still doesn't allow alkalines, although the newer ones
    (oxirides) would probably work.

    Ron Hunter, Aug 17, 2007
  7. Raoul

    SMS Guest

    Ron Hunter wrote:

    > I see no advantage to the CRV3 today, but they were useful before the
    > advent of AA lithium disposables. My first camera would allow CRV3, or
    > two NIMH, or two AA lithium batteries, but NOT AA alkalines.
    > My current one still doesn't allow alkalines, although the newer ones
    > (oxirides) would probably work.

    I wonder what digital camera the original poster is looking at that
    accepts only CR-V3 batteries. I've never seen such a camera.

    SMS, Aug 17, 2007
  8. Raoul

    Raoul Guest

    On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 14:24:23 -0700, SMS <>
    wrote:

    >The RCR-V3 batteries aren't two expensive, so why would you want to do
    >this anyway?
    >
    >"http://sterlingtek.com/recrba.html"
    >"http://sterlingtek.com/crbachkit.html"

    I have a bunch of AAs already and am trying to not have a bunch of
    different batteries around. But, the camera I'm looking at, the Kodak
    Z812IS looks to have everything else on my wish list.

    After looking at Sterlingtek, I checked out ebay. There are generic
    ECRV3s there for even less. Any reason not to go with those?

    Raoul, Aug 17, 2007
  9. Raoul

    ASAAR Guest

    On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 20:01:09 -0500, Ron Hunter wrote:

    >> Personally, a camera that used CR-V3 batteries would be unacceptable
    >> to me. These batteries are lower capacity and higher cost than
    >> proprietary Li-Ion batteries and NiMH batteries.
    >>
    >> Steve
    >> "http://batterydata.com"
    >> Earth's Independent Source for Unbiased Digital Camera Battery
    >> Information

    > I see no advantage to the CRV3 today, but they were useful before the
    > advent of AA lithium disposables. My first camera would allow CRV3, or
    > two NIMH, or two AA lithium batteries, but NOT AA alkalines.
    > My current one still doesn't allow alkalines, although the newer ones
    > (oxirides) would probably work.

    If you can get good prices for the CRV3 batteries they're still
    probably better than lithium AA batteries, but you may have to buy
    two lifetime supplies to get good prices. I have manuals for about
    1/2 dozen Kodak cameras and the different battery types performed
    comparably (using CIPA testing) in the different camera models.
    This is how they performed in the C503/C533 according to Kodak :

    # Shots Battery type
    xxxxxx AA manganese (not recommended or supported)
    70-100 AA alkaline
    100-200 AA (oxyride type)
    250-350 AA NiMH
    250-350 AA NiMH (proprietary Kodak battery pack?)
    350-550 AA lithium
    450-650 CRV3

    So for some people CRV3 batteries would be a good choice but as
    usual, YMMV.

    ASAAR, Aug 17, 2007
  10. Raoul

    SMS Guest

    Raoul wrote:
    > On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 14:24:23 -0700, SMS <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> The RCR-V3 batteries aren't two expensive, so why would you want to do
    >> this anyway?
    >>
    >> "http://sterlingtek.com/recrba.html"
    >> "http://sterlingtek.com/crbachkit.html"

    > I have a bunch of AAs already and am trying to not have a bunch of
    > different batteries around. But, the camera I'm looking at, the Kodak
    > Z812IS looks to have everything else on my wish list.
    >
    > After looking at Sterlingtek, I checked out ebay. There are generic
    > ECRV3s there for even less. Any reason not to go with those?

    I prefer dealing with a known entity. Also be sure to include the
    shipping costs. Often eBay sellers will inflate the shipping cost but
    set the price of the item very low. This is for two reasons, first
    shipping is not refundable, and second, eBay fees are based on the
    amount the item sells for, but not on shipping and handling.

    I'm just familiar with SterlingTek, I'm sure there are other good places
    as well.

    SMS, Aug 17, 2007
  11. Raoul

    SMS Guest

    Raoul wrote:
    > On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 14:24:23 -0700, SMS <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> The RCR-V3 batteries aren't two expensive, so why would you want to do
    >> this anyway?
    >>
    >> "http://sterlingtek.com/recrba.html"
    >> "http://sterlingtek.com/crbachkit.html"

    > I have a bunch of AAs already and am trying to not have a bunch of
    > different batteries around. But, the camera I'm looking at, the Kodak
    > Z812IS looks to have everything else on my wish list.
    >
    > After looking at Sterlingtek, I checked out ebay. There are generic
    > ECRV3s there for even less. Any reason not to go with those?

    The after-market Klic 8000 batteries are very reasonable. Google
    "Lenmark DLK8000". $15 at Amazon. Much higher capacity than the RCR-V3.

    SMS, Aug 17, 2007
  12. Raoul

    Ron Hunter Guest

    ASAAR wrote:
    > On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 20:01:09 -0500, Ron Hunter wrote:
    >
    >>> Personally, a camera that used CR-V3 batteries would be unacceptable
    >>> to me. These batteries are lower capacity and higher cost than
    >>> proprietary Li-Ion batteries and NiMH batteries.
    >>>
    >>> Steve
    >>> "http://batterydata.com"
    >>> Earth's Independent Source for Unbiased Digital Camera Battery
    >>> Information

    >> I see no advantage to the CRV3 today, but they were useful before the
    >> advent of AA lithium disposables. My first camera would allow CRV3, or
    >> two NIMH, or two AA lithium batteries, but NOT AA alkalines.
    >> My current one still doesn't allow alkalines, although the newer ones
    >> (oxirides) would probably work.

    > If you can get good prices for the CRV3 batteries they're still
    > probably better than lithium AA batteries, but you may have to buy
    > two lifetime supplies to get good prices. I have manuals for about
    > 1/2 dozen Kodak cameras and the different battery types performed
    > comparably (using CIPA testing) in the different camera models.
    > This is how they performed in the C503/C533 according to Kodak :
    >
    > # Shots Battery type
    > xxxxxx AA manganese (not recommended or supported)
    > 70-100 AA alkaline
    > 100-200 AA (oxyride type)
    > 250-350 AA NiMH
    > 250-350 AA NiMH (proprietary Kodak battery pack?)
    > 350-550 AA lithium
    > 450-650 CRV3
    >
    > So for some people CRV3 batteries would be a good choice but as
    > usual, YMMV.

    I recall buying a few CRV3 batteries from Kodak for about $4.95 each,
    which was a great price at the time. Now I can get AA lithium batteries
    at Sam's Club for 12 for $20 ($1.67 each), which is enough cheaper that
    I just use them, and have additional flexibility as to what I can use
    them in.
    If I didn't already have substantial investment in AA NIMH batteries,
    and charger, I might choose the RCRV3 type, or lithium ion battery
    devices. I already have a cell phone and a GPS receiver that use
    lithium-ion batteries, and they both work well, except for the annoying
    abrupt change from working fine, to stone dead.
    The GPS has a very good battery meter display, but the one on the cell
    phone (Motorola RAZR) is pretty much useless.

    Ron Hunter, Aug 17, 2007
  13. Raoul

    Ron Hunter Guest

    SMS wrote:
    > Raoul wrote:
    >> On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 14:24:23 -0700, SMS <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> The RCR-V3 batteries aren't two expensive, so why would you want to do
    >>> this anyway?
    >>>
    >>> "http://sterlingtek.com/recrba.html"
    >>> "http://sterlingtek.com/crbachkit.html"

    >> I have a bunch of AAs already and am trying to not have a bunch of
    >> different batteries around. But, the camera I'm looking at, the Kodak
    >> Z812IS looks to have everything else on my wish list.
    >>
    >> After looking at Sterlingtek, I checked out ebay. There are generic
    >> ECRV3s there for even less. Any reason not to go with those?

    > I prefer dealing with a known entity. Also be sure to include the
    > shipping costs. Often eBay sellers will inflate the shipping cost but
    > set the price of the item very low. This is for two reasons, first
    > shipping is not refundable, and second, eBay fees are based on the
    > amount the item sells for, but not on shipping and handling.
    >
    > I'm just familiar with SterlingTek, I'm sure there are other good places
    > as well.

    Grin. Yes, like the 'cat tree' my wife bid on, and then found that the
    shipping cost was higher than the price of the item... Now she checks
    shipping cost on everything she buys everywhere on the internet. There
    are some real surprises in the shipping and handling costs.

    Ron Hunter, Aug 17, 2007
  14. Raoul

    Raoul Guest

    On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 23:12:16 -0700, SMS <>
    wrote:

    >Raoul wrote:
    >> On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 14:24:23 -0700, SMS <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> The RCR-V3 batteries aren't two expensive, so why would you want to do
    >>> this anyway?
    >>>
    >>> "http://sterlingtek.com/recrba.html"
    >>> "http://sterlingtek.com/crbachkit.html"

    >> I have a bunch of AAs already and am trying to not have a bunch of
    >> different batteries around. But, the camera I'm looking at, the Kodak
    >> Z812IS looks to have everything else on my wish list.
    >>
    >> After looking at Sterlingtek, I checked out ebay. There are generic
    >> ECRV3s there for even less. Any reason not to go with those?
    >>

    >The after-market Klic 8000 batteries are very reasonable. Google
    >"Lenmark DLK8000". $15 at Amazon. Much higher capacity than the RCR-V3.

    Thanks. That's only a dollar or two more than the cheapest 1300 mAH
    units on ebay, it's 1600mAH and sold by Amazon.

    Raoul, Aug 17, 2007