RC for XP SP3 (32-bit)

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by DP, Dec 20, 2007.

  1. DP

    DP Guest

    DP, Dec 20, 2007

  2. DP

    S.SubZero Guest

    XP64 is built on the Windows Server 2003 codebase, and thus shares
    service packs with that OS. Service Pack 2 for XP64/2003 only came
    out a few months ago.

    It is unlikely we will see another service pack for XP64/2003 for a
    very long time.

    S.SubZero, Dec 20, 2007

  3. It doesn't. There is no relationship between XP x86 and XP x64 except for
    the name and the functionality. XP Pro x64 has its own upgrades and service
    packs along with its sister system, Windows 2003.

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 20, 2007
  4. > XP64 is built on the Windows Server 2003 codebase, and thus shares
    > service packs with that OS. Service Pack 2 for XP64/2003 only came
    > out a few months ago.
    >
    > It is unlikely we will see another service pack for XP64/2003 for a
    > very long time.

    That got me thinking...I don't have any service pack roadmap in front of me
    right now, but since 2003 is a server OS, rather than a consumer OS, isn't
    it more likely that MS will continue to support it for longer than XP (x86)?

    And if that's the case, then given that 2003 x64 is so closely tied to XP
    x64, wouldn't it make sense for MS to produce SP3[+] for 2003 x64 *as well*
    as XP x64?

    I'm not suggesting I'm expecting a 64-bit SP3 any time soon--just that MS
    hasn't announced any plan to drop support for 2003 any time soon, and in all
    likelihood *will* produce an SP3 for it (one day)...so I'm wondering where
    XP x64 sits in terms of future service packs...

    Homer J. Simpson, Dec 21, 2007
  5. XP Pro x86 and XP Pro x64 are both business systems rather than consumer
    systems. Beginning with XP both the active and extended support periods are
    set at 3 years for consumer systems and 5 years for business systems. That
    means that a futher service pack for XP Pro x64 is certainly within the
    support period but it is not an x86 versus x64 issue. The support roadmap
    for a system is based on its "date of first general availability" and
    whether it is a business or consumer system. For XP Pro x64 that date is
    May of 2005.

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 21, 2007