    file A0008603.rbf . Doing some surfing, I'm not really sure I'd like
    windows to open a roll back file. Any clues on this issue?

    , Sep 24, 2006

  2. Dual booting with Vista? Just guessing, but that can mess up your restore
    points.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 24, 2006

  3. Guest

    Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:
    > Dual booting with Vista? Just guessing, but that can mess up your restore
    > points.
    >
    > --
    > Charlie.
    > http://msmvps.com/xperts64
    >

    > wrote:
    > > I've been getting a message on start up that windows cannot open the
    > > file A0008603.rbf . Doing some surfing, I'm not really sure I'd like
    > > windows to open a roll back file. Any clues on this issue?

    This PC does have a dual boot to XP and x64, but I haven't used XP in
    months. I bought XP on the net and it didn't authenticate. I got my
    money back fortunately, so then I figured I'd get X64. I uninstalled my
    software from the XP partition, but use it as my data partition,
    putting X64 OS on a different partition.

    Personally, I don't think I want to restore back to any previous state
    of my X64 system. So what is up with the file?

    , Sep 25, 2006
  4. John Barnes Guest

    Personally I'd rename the file if it exists and see if it solves the
    message problem (maybe .fbr) . Odds are no problem but you can rename it
    back in recovery console or from your other system if it causes a problem.
    Then I would probably delete it and make a copy of another .rbf file and
    rename it to the defective file name.

    John Barnes, Sep 25, 2006
  5. Guest

    Good idea. I found it and renamed it to a txt extension.

    John Barnes wrote:
    > Personally I'd rename the file if it exists and see if it solves the
    > message problem (maybe .fbr) . Odds are no problem but you can rename it
    > back in recovery console or from your other system if it causes a problem.
    > Then I would probably delete it and make a copy of another .rbf file and
    > rename it to the defective file name.
    >
    > <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:
    > >> Dual booting with Vista? Just guessing, but that can mess up your restore
    > >> points.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Charlie.
    > >> http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    > > This PC does have a dual boot to XP and x64, but I haven't used XP in
    > > months. I bought XP on the net and it didn't authenticate. I got my
    > > money back fortunately, so then I figured I'd get X64. I uninstalled my
    > > software from the XP partition, but use it as my data partition,
    > > putting X64 OS on a different partition.
    > >
    > > Personally, I don't think I want to restore back to any previous state
    > > of my X64 system. So what is up with the file?

    , Sep 25, 2006
  6. Guest

    wrote:
    > Good idea. I found it and renamed it to a txt extension.
    >
    > John Barnes wrote:
    > > Personally I'd rename the file if it exists and see if it solves the
    > > message problem (maybe .fbr) . Odds are no problem but you can rename it
    > > back in recovery console or from your other system if it causes a problem.
    > > Then I would probably delete it and make a copy of another .rbf file and
    > > rename it to the defective file name.
    > >
    > > <> wrote in message

    > > > This PC does have a dual boot to XP and x64, but I haven't used XP in
    > > > months. I bought XP on the net and it didn't authenticate. I got my
    > > > money back fortunately, so then I figured I'd get X64. I uninstalled my
    > > > software from the XP partition, but use it as my data partition,
    > > > putting X64 OS on a different partition.
    > > >
    > > > Personally, I don't think I want to restore back to any previous state
    > > > of my X64 system. So what is up with the file?

    Well, now windows fires up notepad with this file when I boot.

    , Sep 25, 2006
  7. Go into regedit and search on the file name. See what's calling it.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 25, 2006
  8. John Barnes Guest

    Like I originally said, I would use .fbr for the file name first.

    John Barnes, Sep 25, 2006
  9. Gene Guest

    > I've been getting a message on start up that windows cannot open the
    > file A0008603.rbf .

    This just happened to me (in Windows XP 32-bit) after uninstalling
    Diskeeper. Turns out the uninstaller left a Startup item in my Startup
    folder that was pointing to the .rbf file that was now in my
    Norton-protected Recycle Bin. I deleted the files in the Recycle Bin and
    removed the startup item and the problem was solved.

    The way I figure it out was to open the .rbf file in Notepad. At the end of
    the file was all the information I needed to figure out what was happening.

    Hope that helps,
    Gene

    Gene, Sep 25, 2006
  10. Guest

    I can do that, but it seems to me I'll be back in the situation where
    the computer can't find a program for the file. So what does fbr solve?

    John Barnes wrote:
    > Like I originally said, I would use .fbr for the file name first.
    >

    > <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > wrote:
    > >> Good idea. I found it and renamed it to a txt extension.

    > > Well, now windows fires up notepad with this file when I boot.

    , Sep 26, 2006
  11. Charlie,

    Can you point me to a definitive (heh heh) discussion of the "dual
    boot/restore point" issue? I just installed IE7 on my Win XP x64 partition
    (dual-booted with Vista x64 RC2 on a separate drive/partition). After using
    it for an hour or so, I decided to roll back to the previous restore point,
    but Win XP x64 refuses to do it, when it reboots. I show >20 active restore
    points under XP, but I tried a few of them and none work. Do I have to do all
    this in Safe Mode, or is it just hopeless?

    The IE7 rollback issue is minor, but I am worried that if I really need to
    use system restore in the future for something important, it won't work.

    Jay

    =?Utf-8?B?amFibG9vbWYxMjMw?=, Oct 30, 2006
  12. Jane C Guest

    AFAIK, when dual-booting between XP and Vista, XP kills the Vista restore
    points, but Vista shouldn't affect the XP restore points. XP doesn't
    recognise any Vista restore points and very kindly deletes them.

    Why not go via Add/Remove Programs to remove IE7? Tick the box for 'Show
    Updates'. IE7 *should* be listed.

    Determining the cause of your System Restore failure may be another kettle
    of fish entirely.

    --
    Jane, not plain ;) 64 bit enabled :)

    Jane C, Oct 30, 2006
  13. jabloomf1230 Guest

    Well, the few times that I have used system restore in Win XP x64, it
    worked fine. But that was before I installed RC2 in dual boot. I can
    remove IE7, but what's the likelihood that the IE7 installation also
    doesn't "upgrade" a few choice Windows core files? Would they also be
    removed or would it be like DirectX upgrades?

    IE7 is really not the issue at this point, but rather wading thru the
    kettle of fish. What's the procedure for using system restore in Safe
    Mode? Boot XP into Safe Mode with F8, select the previous restore point
    and then reboot XP again in Safe Mode with F8?

    jabloomf1230, Oct 30, 2006
  14. John Barnes Guest

    That would be the way I would do it. After it finishes booting into safe
    mode to finish the restore point, if it even accepts a restore point, I
    would then boot normally. I have experienced a problem with restore points
    with both x64 and XP86 and have been fortunate to find one that works (most
    of the time, otherwise it is Ghost restore). When necessary, I have just
    started with the most recent applicable and worked back until I have found
    one. Also, Jane's post is correct as far as I know. Vista restore points
    are deleted, XP restore points are unaffected.

    John Barnes, Oct 31, 2006
  15. Thanks. I'll see if that works.

    =?Utf-8?B?amFibG9vbWYxMjMw?=, Oct 31, 2006