Rawzor beta release (lossless raw compression)

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Sachin Garg, Sep 2, 2008.

  1. Sachin Garg

    Sachin Garg Guest

    I have just released the first 'with GUI' beta for the lossless raw
    compression tool I was working on.

    http://www.rawzor.com

    We have discussed this here multiple times before but unlike previous techy
    talks and geeky command line tools :) this time there is a easily usable
    GUI tool (screenshot on homepage).

    For a brief introduction for first time readers, its a lossless compression
    tool for raw images. It supports images from (almost) all the camera models,
    getting around 20% to 60% compression depending on raw format.

    I have also published a nice little graph of space saving achieved by Rawzor
    on all the different raw formats, and as requested I have also added a
    supported cameras list.

    The core is still more or less the same as previous preview release (just a
    few minor speed improvements). If you were using the previous command-line
    builds, this version maintains full compatibility with files created with
    them.

    For the developers, there is an SDK available to support Rawzor compressed
    files directly in applications. Format details are available on request
    (will be published soon).

    Sachin Garg [India]
    www.sachingarg.com | www.imagecompression.info

    Sachin Garg, Sep 2, 2008

  2. Sachin Garg wrote:

    > I have just released the first 'with GUI' beta for the lossless raw
    > compression tool I was working on.
    >
    > http://www.rawzor.com
    >
    > We have discussed this here multiple times before but unlike previous techy
    > talks and geeky command line tools :) this time there is a easily usable
    > GUI tool (screenshot on homepage).
    >
    > For a brief introduction for first time readers, its a lossless compression
    > tool for raw images. It supports images from (almost) all the camera models,
    > getting around 20% to 60% compression depending on raw format.

    <looks at Nikon list> D40, D40X but not D60?

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

    Blinky the Shark, Sep 2, 2008

  3. Sachin Garg

    Sachin Garg Guest

    "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message
    > Sachin Garg wrote:
    >
    >> I have just released the first 'with GUI' beta for the lossless raw
    >> compression tool I was working on.
    >>
    >> http://www.rawzor.com
    >>
    >> We have discussed this here multiple times before but unlike previous
    >> techy
    >> talks and geeky command line tools :) this time there is a easily usable
    >> GUI tool (screenshot on homepage).
    >>
    >> For a brief introduction for first time readers, its a lossless
    >> compression
    >> tool for raw images. It supports images from (almost) all the camera
    >> models,
    >> getting around 20% to 60% compression depending on raw format.

    > <looks at Nikon list> D40, D40X but not D60?

    Rawzor probably supports it, its just not in the list (The list is not
    complete, its one of the reasons I had been postponing puting up the list).

    It seems you have a D60, can you try it on your images. It will also help if
    you can mail/rapidshare me a few sample images (or I can send you ftp login
    details).

    Sachin Garg, Sep 2, 2008
  4. Sachin Garg

    Guest

    On Wed, 3 Sep 2008 00:31:45 +0530, in rec.photo.digital.slr-systems "Sachin
    Garg" <> wrote:

    >I have just released the first 'with GUI' beta for the lossless raw
    >compression tool I was working on.
    >
    > http://www.rawzor.com
    >
    >We have discussed this here multiple times before but unlike previous techy
    >talks and geeky command line tools :) this time there is a easily usable
    >GUI tool (screenshot on homepage).
    >
    >For a brief introduction for first time readers, its a lossless compression
    >tool for raw images. It supports images from (almost) all the camera models,
    >getting around 20% to 60% compression depending on raw format.

    First thing I would comment on is it definitely needs a feature adding the
    selected source file directory to the output directory if one desires to
    output to the current source directory.

    , Sep 2, 2008
  5. Sachin Garg wrote:

    > "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message
    >> Sachin Garg wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have just released the first 'with GUI' beta for the lossless raw
    >>> compression tool I was working on.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.rawzor.com
    >>>
    >>> We have discussed this here multiple times before but unlike previous
    >>> techy
    >>> talks and geeky command line tools :) this time there is a easily usable
    >>> GUI tool (screenshot on homepage).
    >>>
    >>> For a brief introduction for first time readers, its a lossless
    >>> compression
    >>> tool for raw images. It supports images from (almost) all the camera
    >>> models,
    >>> getting around 20% to 60% compression depending on raw format.

    >> <looks at Nikon list> D40, D40X but not D60?

    > Rawzor probably supports it, its just not in the list (The list is not
    > complete, its one of the reasons I had been postponing puting up the list).
    >
    > It seems you have a D60, can you try it on your images. It will also help if
    > you can mail/rapidshare me a few sample images (or I can send you ftp login
    > details).

    I don't do enough image manipulation on any Windows systems for it to
    matter. I just noticed the omission and thought I'd mention it in case it
    had inadvertently been left out. Let me know when you port it to Linux.

    Blinky the Shark, Sep 2, 2008
  6. Sachin Garg wrote:
    > For a brief introduction for first time readers, its a
    > lossless compression tool for raw images. It supports
    > images from (almost) all the camera models, getting
    > around 20% to 60% compression depending on raw format.

    Hmmm, let me see if i got that right: you developed a software that converts
    an already proprietary format into an even more proprietary one just to save
    a few MEGs on HDD, but with the possible risk never to be able to access my
    RAW files again (or only for money if you decide to charge users)? No thanks
    ..... but good luck with your business.

    Regards,
    Markus

    Markus Fuenfrocken, Sep 3, 2008
  7. Sachin Garg

    > Sachin Garg wrote:
    >

    >> "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message

    >>> <looks at Nikon list> D40, D40X but not D60?

    >> Rawzor probably supports it, its just not in the list (The list is not
    >> complete, its one of the reasons I had been postponing puting up the
    >> list).
    >>
    >> It seems you have a D60, can you try it on your images. It will also help
    >> if
    >> you can mail/rapidshare me a few sample images (or I can send you ftp
    >> login
    >> details).

    > I don't do enough image manipulation on any Windows systems for it to
    > matter. I just noticed the omission and thought I'd mention it in case it
    > had inadvertently been left out.

    Thanks, I will try to get my hands on D60 samples and add it to list.

    > Let me know when you port it to Linux.

    I have already ported the SDK to linux (not on website yet but available on
    request, still needs more testing). Will port the GUI too, hopefully soon.

    Till then, maybe you can try running it with Wine, I haven't tried but it
    just might work.

    Sachin Garg, Sep 3, 2008
  8. Sachin Garg

    Sachin Garg Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 3 Sep 2008 00:31:45 +0530, in rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
    > "Sachin
    > Garg" <> wrote:
    >
    >>I have just released the first 'with GUI' beta for the lossless raw
    >>compression tool I was working on.
    >>
    >> http://www.rawzor.com
    >>
    >>We have discussed this here multiple times before but unlike previous
    >>techy
    >>talks and geeky command line tools :) this time there is a easily usable
    >>GUI tool (screenshot on homepage).
    >>
    >>For a brief introduction for first time readers, its a lossless
    >>compression
    >>tool for raw images. It supports images from (almost) all the camera
    >>models,
    >>getting around 20% to 60% compression depending on raw format.

    > First thing I would comment on is it definitely needs a feature adding the
    > selected source file directory to the output directory if one desires to
    > output to the current source directory.

    Have added this, download the latest beta (v0.35). Have also updated the
    screenshot on homepage, let me know if it is what you were expecting.

    Sachin Garg [India]
    www.sachingarg.com | www.rawzor.com

    Sachin Garg, Sep 3, 2008
  9. Sachin Garg

    Sachin Garg Guest

    "thepixelfreak" <> wrote in message
    > On 2008-09-02 12:31:45 -0700, "Sachin Garg" <> said:
    >
    >> I have just released the first 'with GUI' beta for the lossless raw
    >> compression tool I was working on.
    >>
    >> http://www.rawzor.com
    >>
    >> We have discussed this here multiple times before but unlike previous
    >> techy
    >> talks and geeky command line tools :) this time there is a easily usable
    >> GUI tool (screenshot on homepage).

    > Sounds great. No Mac port though? Lots of photographers use Mac's you
    > know.

    Rawzor's code is fairly portable but I don't have a Mac yet, and they don't
    come cheap :)

    I even tried one of those hacked OSX installs which claim to run on non-mac
    PCs but they seem to need a 64-bit processor, so it will have to wait till I
    upgrade my machine. It may take a while but its definitely gonna come.

    Sachin Garg, Sep 3, 2008
  10. Sachin Garg wrote:

    > "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message
    >> Sachin Garg wrote:
    >>

    >>> "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message

    >>> Rawzor probably supports it, its just not in the list (The list is not
    >>> complete, its one of the reasons I had been postponing puting up the
    >>> list).
    >>>
    >>> It seems you have a D60, can you try it on your images. It will also help
    >>> if
    >>> you can mail/rapidshare me a few sample images (or I can send you ftp
    >>> login
    >>> details).

    >> I don't do enough image manipulation on any Windows systems for it to
    >> matter. I just noticed the omission and thought I'd mention it in case it
    >> had inadvertently been left out.

    > Thanks, I will try to get my hands on D60 samples and add it to list.
    >
    >> Let me know when you port it to Linux.

    > I have already ported the SDK to linux (not on website yet but available on
    > request, still needs more testing). Will port the GUI too, hopefully soon.
    >
    > Till then, maybe you can try running it with Wine, I haven't tried but it
    > just might work.

    I'm not into trying to run Windows applications on my Linux boxes.
    Similarly, I don't date my ex-wives. ;)

    Blinky the Shark, Sep 3, 2008
  11. Sachin Garg

    Sachin Garg Guest

    "Markus Fuenfrocken" <> wrote in message
    > Sachin Garg wrote:
    >> For a brief introduction for first time readers, its a
    >> lossless compression tool for raw images. It supports
    >> images from (almost) all the camera models, getting
    >> around 20% to 60% compression depending on raw format.

    > Hmmm, let me see if i got that right: you developed a software that
    > converts an already proprietary format into an even more proprietary one
    > just to save a few MEGs on HDD, but with the possible risk never to be
    > able to access my RAW files again (or only for money if you decide to
    > charge users)? No thanks .... but good luck with your business.

    Markus, thanks for brining this up, there must be others too having same
    concerns. There are two things I would like to mention here.

    First, regarding the proprietary camera raw formats. I agree that its
    painful that these formats are not officially documented by camera makers.
    But all of them have been reverse engeinnered almost completely, so they are
    not really proprietary anymore and camera makers haven't really objected to
    this reverse-engineering even when all these other softwares compete with
    their software. You are not dependent upon camera maker's software to open
    your raw images.

    There are many independent applications which can open all these raw
    formats, some of them open source. Its just not going to happen that all
    these applications will dissappear together. If details of these formats
    weren't documented (although not officially) then all these people wouldn't
    have been able to write those software, adobe wouldn't be able to write dng
    convertor, even I wouldn't be able to write rawzor.

    Fact is that we were all able to write software which works with these
    formats the way we want to. Yes, its less than ideal that these formats are
    not 'officially' documented making it harder for us software developers, but
    atleast you can stop feeling afraid of not being able to open your raw files
    in future.

    Things are not as bad as we have been told, cheers :)

    Second, you have assumed that Rawzor is going to stay proprietary. Rawzor
    needs to restore the exact original raw format so parts of rawzor are
    closely tied to 'documentation' of original raw formats, this slightly
    complicates the rawzor format by tying it to all these formats and this
    can't be changed or else rawzor won't be able to recreate the original raw
    files. But as explained above, although that 'documentation' isn't official,
    it doesn't means its not available.

    There is already a free SDK for opening Rawzored files and it will stay
    free, and I wouldn't mind sharing format details if some application really
    needs it (documentation isn't cheap, it takes time too, just like coding).

    Sachin Garg, Sep 3, 2008
  12. Sachin Garg

    Sachin Garg Guest

    "Alan Browne" <> wrote in message
    > Sachin Garg wrote:
    >> I have just released the first 'with GUI' beta for the lossless raw
    >> compression tool I was working on.
    >>
    >> http://www.rawzor.com
    >>
    >> We have discussed this here multiple times before but unlike previous
    >> techy talks and geeky command line tools :) this time there is a easily
    >> usable GUI tool (screenshot on homepage).

    > I'll stick with DNG, thanks. And yes it has a GUI for conversion which I
    > use to convert directly out of the camera onto the computer disk (straight
    > to backup as well if I thought that would streamline anything...).

    Rawzor and dng solve different problems. Rawzor is more about preserving the
    original raw format while saving space, dng has a different goal. If you
    prefer dng, so be it.

    Sachin Garg, Sep 3, 2008
  13. Sachin Garg

    > Sachin Garg wrote:
    >> "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message

    >>> I don't do enough image manipulation on any Windows systems for it to
    >>> matter. I just noticed the omission and thought I'd mention it in case
    >>> it
    >>> had inadvertently been left out.

    >> Thanks, I will try to get my hands on D60 samples and add it to list.
    >>
    >>> Let me know when you port it to Linux.

    >> I have already ported the SDK to linux (not on website yet but available
    >> on
    >> request, still needs more testing). Will port the GUI too, hopefully
    >> soon.
    >>
    >> Till then, maybe you can try running it with Wine, I haven't tried but it
    >> just might work.

    > I'm not into trying to run Windows applications on my Linux boxes.

    If you are interested in testing the linux version before release, you can
    drop me an email and I will contact you whenever its ready.

    Sachin Garg, Sep 3, 2008
  14. Sachin Garg

    HapHazzard Guest

    On Wed, 3 Sep 2008 15:04:39 +0530, "Sachin Garg" <> wrote:

    >"Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message
    >> Sachin Garg wrote:
    >>

    >>> "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message

    >>> Rawzor probably supports it, its just not in the list (The list is not
    >>> complete, its one of the reasons I had been postponing puting up the
    >>> list).
    >>>
    >>> It seems you have a D60, can you try it on your images. It will also help
    >>> if
    >>> you can mail/rapidshare me a few sample images (or I can send you ftp
    >>> login
    >>> details).

    >> I don't do enough image manipulation on any Windows systems for it to
    >> matter. I just noticed the omission and thought I'd mention it in case it
    >> had inadvertently been left out.

    >Thanks, I will try to get my hands on D60 samples and add it to list.
    >
    >> Let me know when you port it to Linux.

    >I have already ported the SDK to linux (not on website yet but available on
    >request, still needs more testing). Will port the GUI too, hopefully soon.
    >
    >Till then, maybe you can try running it with Wine, I haven't tried but it
    >just might work.
    >
    >Sachin Garg [India]
    >www.sachingarg.com | www.imagecompression.info

    You can get RAW samples from many cameras at this RAW-samples archive.

    http://www.rawsamples.ch/

    Unfortunately I don't see any Nikon D60 there.

    Someone needs to contribute an example for them. Many software developers use
    the files on that site to test their software. If you want your camera supported
    by any new programs or updates for older programs, make sure there's a sample
    from your camera there. Send them one.

    HapHazzard, Sep 3, 2008
  15. Sachin Garg

    ray Guest

    On Wed, 03 Sep 2008 00:31:45 +0530, Sachin Garg wrote:

    > I have just released the first 'with GUI' beta for the lossless raw
    > compression tool I was working on.
    >
    > http://www.rawzor.com
    >
    > We have discussed this here multiple times before but unlike previous
    > techy talks and geeky command line tools :) this time there is a easily
    > usable GUI tool (screenshot on homepage).
    >
    > For a brief introduction for first time readers, its a lossless
    > compression tool for raw images. It supports images from (almost) all
    > the camera models, getting around 20% to 60% compression depending on
    > raw format.
    >
    > I have also published a nice little graph of space saving achieved by
    > Rawzor on all the different raw formats, and as requested I have also
    > added a supported cameras list.
    >
    > The core is still more or less the same as previous preview release
    > (just a few minor speed improvements). If you were using the previous
    > command-line builds, this version maintains full compatibility with
    > files created with them.
    >
    > For the developers, there is an SDK available to support Rawzor
    > compressed files directly in applications. Format details are available
    > on request (will be published soon).
    >
    > Sachin Garg [India]
    > www.sachingarg.com | www.imagecompression.info

    No Linux version. So pretty much worthless to me. I eschew WINE.

    ray, Sep 3, 2008
  16. Sachin Garg

    Sachin Garg Guest

    "bugbear" <bugbear@trim_papermule.co.uk_trim> wrote in message
    > Sachin Garg wrote:
    >> Rawzor and dng solve different problems. Rawzor is more about preserving
    >> the original raw format while saving space, dng has a different goal. If
    >> you prefer dng, so be it.

    > How does rawzor compare with simple running pkzip, gzip, bzip2
    > on the original raw file?

    Simply put, much better than zip, bz2, rar, 7z etc...

    On Rawzor homepage, click to expand the results graph.

    Sachin Garg, Sep 3, 2008
  17. Sachin Garg

    Sachin Garg Guest

    "ray" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 03 Sep 2008 00:31:45 +0530, Sachin Garg wrote:
    >
    >> I have just released the first 'with GUI' beta for the lossless raw
    >> compression tool I was working on.
    >>
    >> http://www.rawzor.com
    >>
    >> We have discussed this here multiple times before but unlike previous
    >> techy talks and geeky command line tools :) this time there is a easily
    >> usable GUI tool (screenshot on homepage).
    >>
    >> For a brief introduction for first time readers, its a lossless
    >> compression tool for raw images. It supports images from (almost) all
    >> the camera models, getting around 20% to 60% compression depending on
    >> raw format.
    >>
    >> I have also published a nice little graph of space saving achieved by
    >> Rawzor on all the different raw formats, and as requested I have also
    >> added a supported cameras list.
    >>
    >> The core is still more or less the same as previous preview release
    >> (just a few minor speed improvements). If you were using the previous
    >> command-line builds, this version maintains full compatibility with
    >> files created with them.
    >>
    >> For the developers, there is an SDK available to support Rawzor
    >> compressed files directly in applications. Format details are available
    >> on request (will be published soon).
    >>
    >> Sachin Garg [India]
    >> www.sachingarg.com | www.imagecompression.info

    > No Linux version. So pretty much worthless to me. I eschew WINE.

    I will try to finish the porting as soon as possible.

    SG

    Sachin Garg, Sep 3, 2008
  18. Sachin Garg

    nospam Guest

    In article <g9lm5b$7fu$>, Sachin Garg <>
    wrote:

    > > Sounds great. No Mac port though? Lots of photographers use Mac's you
    > > know.

    > Rawzor's code is fairly portable but I don't have a Mac yet, and they don't
    > come cheap :)

    sure they do. get a mac mini, which is more than capable for what you
    need to do. for even less money, keep an eye on the refurb section of
    the apple store (especially in the next month or so as new models are
    introduced and the previous model is sold off on clearance) or hit up
    ebay for a used one.

    nospam, Sep 3, 2008
  19. Sachin Garg

    RichA Guest

    On Sep 2, 3:01 pm, "Sachin Garg" <> wrote:
    > I have just released the first 'with GUI' beta for the lossless raw
    > compression tool I was working on.
    >
    > http://www.rawzor.com
    >
    > We have discussed this here multiple times before but unlike previous techy
    > talks and geeky command line tools :) this time there is a easily usable
    > GUI tool (screenshot on homepage).
    >
    > For a brief introduction for first time readers, its a lossless compression
    > tool for raw images. It supports images from (almost) all the camera models,
    > getting around 20% to 60% compression depending on raw format.
    >
    > I have also published a nice little graph of space saving achieved by Rawzor
    > on all the different raw formats, and as requested I have also added a
    > supported cameras list.
    >
    > The core is still more or less the same as previous preview release (just a
    > few minor speed improvements). If you were using the previous command-line
    > builds, this version maintains full compatibility with files created with
    > them.
    >
    > For the developers, there is an SDK available to support Rawzor compressed
    > files directly in applications. Format details are available on request
    > (will be published soon).
    >
    > Sachin Garg [India]www.sachingarg.com|www.imagecompression.info

    Side issue:
    I guess there is no way to mathematically factor-out the AA filter in
    a camera to increase resolution, right?

    RichA, Sep 3, 2008
  20. Sachin Garg

    Sachin Garg Guest

    "RichA" <> wrote in message
    > On Sep 2, 3:01 pm, "Sachin Garg" <> wrote:
    >> I have just released the first 'with GUI' beta for the lossless raw
    >> compression tool I was working on.
    >>
    >> http://www.rawzor.com
    >>
    >> We have discussed this here multiple times before but unlike previous
    >> techy
    >> talks and geeky command line tools :) this time there is a easily usable
    >> GUI tool (screenshot on homepage).
    >>
    >> For a brief introduction for first time readers, its a lossless
    >> compression
    >> tool for raw images. It supports images from (almost) all the camera
    >> models,
    >> getting around 20% to 60% compression depending on raw format.
    >>
    >> I have also published a nice little graph of space saving achieved by
    >> Rawzor
    >> on all the different raw formats, and as requested I have also added a
    >> supported cameras list.
    >>
    >> The core is still more or less the same as previous preview release (just
    >> few minor speed improvements). If you were using the previous
    >> command-line
    >> builds, this version maintains full compatibility with files created with
    >> them.
    >>
    >> For the developers, there is an SDK available to support Rawzor
    >> compressed
    >> files directly in applications. Format details are available on request
    >> (will be published soon).

    > Side issue:
    > I guess there is no way to mathematically factor-out the AA filter in
    > a camera to increase resolution, right?

    Atleast I am not aware of any.

    Sachin Garg, Sep 3, 2008