    inside the file ??

    Thanks

    Emilio

    evilaro, May 8, 2004

  2. >denominator .. or is there a way to know if a image is a raw by looking
    >inside the file ??

    Supposedly that is true.

    A Nikon NEF in fact is a TIFF file ("tagged image format file": a sequence
    of image related information blocks in any (but defined) coding). It
    contains EXIF information in a standard format, a JPG coded small version of
    the picture and the picture itself coded in a propriety format. When you
    rename it to *.TIF many programs will show the EXIF information and the JPG
    picture.

    -Michael

    Michael Schnell, May 8, 2004

  3. evilaro

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >From: "evilaro"

    >To all:
    >I got a Nikon camera that produces raw with a extension .NEF
    >
    >A friend got a Fuji with .RAF extension.
    >
    >I would like to know if there is a list of extensions ... or if there is a
    >common denominator

    I have two Canon dSLR's and with one (10D) the extension is .CRW and with the
    other (1Ds) it's .TIF (even though it's clearly not a TIFF file).

    There is no common denominator, not even within the same brand :)

    Bill Hilton, May 8, 2004
  4. evilaro

    Jürgen Eidt Guest

    "evilaro" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

    > I would like to know if there is a list of extensions

    DCRAW uses:
    ..bay;.bmq;.cr2;.crw;.cs1;.dc2;.dcr;.fff;.k25;.kdc;.mos;.mrw;.nef;.orf;.pef;.raf;.raw;.rdc;.srf;.x3f

    --
    Regards
    Jürgen

    http://cpicture.de/en

    Jürgen Eidt, May 8, 2004
  5. evilaro

    Guest

    On Sat, 08 May 2004 20:42:11 GMT, "evilaro" <> wrote:

    >To all:
    >
    >I got a Nikon camera that produces raw with a extension .NEF
    >
    >A friend got a Fuji with .RAF extension.
    >
    >I would like to know if there is a list of extensions ... or if there is a
    >common
    >denominator .. or is there a way to know if a image is a raw by looking
    >inside the file ??

    There's "raw" and "RAW'.

    In lowercase, "raw" means "image data as it comes off the sensor".
    That doesn't say anything about image format (except that whatever
    image format the data gets inserted into must be non-compressed).

    Some camera manufacturer may have created their own image format to
    hold their raw data and given it an extension of "RAW" ... I don't
    know. Nikon created an image format to hold their raw data and gave
    it an extension ".NEF". Fuji created an image format and gave it an
    extension .RAF. Etc.

    Most people who talk about RAW images really are talking about "raw"
    images.

    So finally, no, there would be no way to know if an image is a raw by
    looking side the file.

    , May 9, 2004
  6. Michael Schnell <> wrote in message news:<c7jj46$ms0$00$-online.com>...
    > >denominator .. or is there a way to know if a image is a raw by looking
    > >inside the file ??

    > Supposedly that is true.
    >
    > A Nikon NEF in fact is a TIFF file ("tagged image format file": a sequence
    > of image related information blocks in any (but defined) coding). It
    > contains EXIF information in a standard format, a JPG coded small version of
    > the picture

    Uh oh, sounds like another camera that doesn't allow full image review
    on the camera LCD when shooting in RAW format.

    Is there any pro option besides Sigma? No.

    George Preddy, May 9, 2004
  7. evilaro

    evilaro Guest

    Michael:

    Thanks for the clarification.

    Emilio

    mensaje news:c7jj46$ms0$00$-online.com...

    evilaro, May 9, 2004
  8. evilaro

    evilaro Guest

    Mr B:
    Thanks you for such a good clarification.
    At least I know that I can not follow that path.

    Emilio

    evilaro, May 9, 2004
  9. evilaro

    evilaro Guest

    Jürgen
    Okay Okay....

    I see that there is no en to this naming...

    Thanks a lot

    I am more lost than before.....

    Emilio

    evilaro, May 9, 2004
  10. evilaro

    evilaro Guest

    Bill:

    From the answer of all that helped I see that there is nothing in common.

    Thanks

    Emilio

    evilaro, May 9, 2004
  11. evilaro

    Guest

    In message <>,
    (George Preddy) wrote:

    >Uh oh, sounds like another camera that doesn't allow full image review
    >on the camera LCD when shooting in RAW format.

    The Sigmas do not show you RAW files on the LCD. You obviously have no
    idea how RAW data works. The white-balance in RAW data is usally way
    off; what will become white in a converted file will be medium tone,
    what will become black in the converted file will be dark grey, and the
    gamma in-between will be way off.

    What you are seeing on the rear of your SD9 is basically an 8-bit,
    gamma-corrected RGB bitmap (like an 8-bit TIFF) converted for your
    viewing.
    --

    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
    John P Sheehy <>
    ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><

    , May 9, 2004
  12. evilaro

    Jürgen Eidt Guest

    "evilaro" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

    > Jürgen
    > Okay Okay....
    >
    > I see that there is no en to this naming...
    >
    > Thanks a lot
    >
    > I am more lost than before.....

    Don't give up ;)
    The is no standardization for the Raw format. Everyone can make up their own
    schema these days.
    The common formats like JPEG or TIFF for example have a clear specification
    about the (stream-) content and the file format (including the file
    extension).
    The Raw format content is specific to the CCD and most manufacturer make the
    file format efficient as possible for their used CCD (and keep the file size
    small).

    --
    Regards
    Jürgen