    if any body has used this program and what they think of it.As i have just
    got used to Nikons Raw editor,i want to know if this other program is better
    many thank Stephen.
    Stephen Manaton, Jun 10, 2005

  2. Stephen Manaton

    Hannah Guest

    "Stephen Manaton" <> wrote in message
    news:d8cveb$b5n$...
    > After using my Nikon D70 on Auto,i now do all my shooting in Raw Format,i
    > use Nikon Capture Editor to alter the photo then save it as a jpeg file.I
    > then use Adobe Elements 3 for further editing.My question is i have
    > downloaded Rawshooter Essentials 2005 which is free.And i would like to

    know
    > if any body has used this program and what they think of it.As i have just
    > got used to Nikons Raw editor,i want to know if this other program is

    better
    > many thank Stephen.

    I'm not a Nikon user, but Rawshooter Essentials is very very good, and I've
    dumped my Capture One Pro in favour of it for all my work. It's almost
    certainly better than any camera manufacturers' own RAW software, which is
    usually rather weak - this is certainly true in the case of Canon, which
    produces pretty damned awful RAW conversion utilities.

    Hannah.
    Hannah, Jun 10, 2005

  3. Stephen Manaton

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >After using my Nikon D70 on Auto,i now do all my shooting in Raw Format.
    >My question is i have downloaded Rawshooter Essentials 2005 which is free.
    >And i would like to know if any body has used this program and what they
    >think of it.As i have just got used to Nikons Raw editor,i want to know if this
    >other program is better.

    You should pick say 4-5 images that are typical of what you shoot and
    convert them with each program ... ideally convert twice, once at
    default settings and again after dinking with the exposure, color and
    sharpness settings to optimize the image. Then look carefully at the
    results for these three things ... easiest program to get most pleasing
    colors, best detail in fine detail areas like hair, smoothest out of
    focus or single-toned areas (blow it up to 400% to be sure). I
    haven't used a Nikon converter so don't know how your comparison will
    turn out but for Canon cameras the RSE and Capture One programs both do
    a better job for me than the Canon software.

    I *think* there's a RAW converter built in to Elements 3 now too so
    might as well check the conversions in all three at the same time.
    Bill Hilton, Jun 10, 2005
  4. Stephen Manaton

    birdman Guest

    Try the raw converter in PSE3: I believe it is similar to the PS raw
    converter.
    If you use the Adobe converter and then open the image in PSE3 you should
    consider learning to save in the psd format and working in layers so there
    is no change to your base image.
    birdman, Jun 11, 2005
  5. Stephen Manaton

    Bubbabob Guest

    "Stephen Manaton" <> wrote:

    > After using my Nikon D70 on Auto,i now do all my shooting in Raw
    > Format,i use Nikon Capture Editor to alter the photo then save it as a
    > jpeg file.I then use Adobe Elements 3 for further editing.My question
    > is i have downloaded Rawshooter Essentials 2005 which is free.And i
    > would like to know if any body has used this program and what they
    > think of it.As i have just got used to Nikons Raw editor,i want to
    > know if this other program is better many thank Stephen.

    I use it sometimes. It works quite well. It has a very, very good
    sharpening algorithm. It fares poorly with moire but so does NC. I wish
    they had an adjustable gamma slider. All in all a pretty nice program and
    still improving. Can't beat the price. You've probably noticed that it
    ignores user curves. Lately my favorite is Raw Magick Lite but it's not
    for everyone and it's painfully slow in comparison.
    Bubbabob, Jun 11, 2005
  6. Stephen Manaton

    Stacey Guest

    Stephen Manaton wrote:

    > After using my Nikon D70 on Auto,i now do all my shooting in Raw Format,i
    > use Nikon Capture Editor to alter the photo then save it as a jpeg file.I
    > then use Adobe Elements 3 for further editing.

    You should be saving as a tiff not a jpeg between edits.

    --

    Stacey
    Stacey, Jun 11, 2005