Raw Shooter Premium available!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by David J. Littleboy, Oct 28, 2005.

  1. Pixmantec has released RawShooter Premium, the for-money version of their
    freebie RawShooter Essentials.

    http://www.pixmantec.com/

    They're having a 4-day only introductory price special of US$59.00.

    I don't know what the price will go up to.

    I really like RSE, and RSP adds a couple of minor niceties. RSP supports a
    couple of cameras that RSE doesn't, has some improved algorithms, more
    features in the workflow, and adds a curves/levels control. They claim that
    the camera support and improved algorithms will make it back into RSE, but
    the workflow features and curves/levels control won't.

    And RSP has a "Vibrancy" slider in the color control section to "slide in
    some Velvia"!

    David J. Littleboy
    Just a satisfied RSP customer in
    Tokyo, Japan
    David J. Littleboy, Oct 28, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. David J. Littleboy

    Mike G. Guest

    David J. Littleboy wrote:
    >
    > I don't know what the price will go up to.
    >

    I think US$99.
    Mike G., Oct 28, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. David J. Littleboy

    Mark² Guest

    David J. Littleboy wrote:
    > Pixmantec has released RawShooter Premium, the for-money version of
    > their freebie RawShooter Essentials.
    >
    > http://www.pixmantec.com/
    >
    > They're having a 4-day only introductory price special of US$59.00.
    >
    > I don't know what the price will go up to.
    >
    > I really like RSE, and RSP adds a couple of minor niceties. RSP
    > supports a couple of cameras that RSE doesn't, has some improved
    > algorithms, more features in the workflow, and adds a curves/levels
    > control. They claim that the camera support and improved algorithms
    > will make it back into RSE, but the workflow features and
    > curves/levels control won't.
    > And RSP has a "Vibrancy" slider in the color control section to
    > "slide in some Velvia"!
    >
    > David J. Littleboy
    > Just a satisfied RSP customer in
    > Tokyo, Japan


    Hey, thanks for the heads up, David!
    Bill Hilton turned me on to RSE and I've been enjoying this great little
    FREE program ever since.
    I find I use it more than either CS RAW or C1.
    -Just like it.
    Curves and levels would be a VERY helpful addition.
    Mark², Oct 28, 2005
    #3
  4. David J. Littleboy

    Mark² Guest

    Mike G. wrote:
    > David J. Littleboy wrote:
    >>
    >> I don't know what the price will go up to.
    >>

    > I think US$99.


    I just checked...
    US$59...not 99.
    :)
    Ordered.
    Mark², Oct 28, 2005
    #4
  5. "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote:
    > Mike G. wrote:
    >> David J. Littleboy wrote:
    >>>
    >>> I don't know what the price will go up to.
    >>>

    >> I think US$99.

    >
    > I just checked...
    > US$59...not 99.
    > :)
    > Ordered.


    The US$59 bit is a special introductory low price for the first five days
    only. I don't know what the price after Nov. 1 will be, and Mike chipped in
    with US$99.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan
    David J. Littleboy, Oct 28, 2005
    #5
  6. David J. Littleboy

    Mark² Guest

    David J. Littleboy wrote:
    > "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote:
    >> Mike G. wrote:
    >>> David J. Littleboy wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>> I don't know what the price will go up to.
    >>>>
    >>> I think US$99.

    >>
    >> I just checked...
    >> US$59...not 99.
    >> :)
    >> Ordered.

    >
    > The US$59 bit is a special introductory low price for the first five
    > days only. I don't know what the price after Nov. 1 will be, and Mike
    > chipped in with US$99.
    >
    > David J. Littleboy
    > Tokyo, Japan


    Just installed it, and the levels/curves works a charm.
    I really think this interface is best over CS RAW and C1.
    Only complaint is that RSE has always seemed to be a bit of a memory hog...
    works great though.
    -This will save time for shots where only minimal correction is required,
    rather than having to open into PS.
    Often I have a lot of "snap-shot" type images that require no more than a
    bit of EV adjustment in RSE, but I would still have to open in PS for
    levels. I'm sure I'll always use PShop for any serious images, but this is
    great for a quick workflow with tons of other images.

    The vibrance slider it interesting.
    Mark², Oct 28, 2005
    #6
  7. On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 12:53:01 +0900, in rec.photo.digital "David J.
    Littleboy" <> wrote:

    >The US$59 bit is a special introductory low price for the first five days
    >only. I don't know what the price after Nov. 1 will be, and Mike chipped in
    >with US$99.


    Just to be clear the newsletter I received states the $59 price is good
    through Oct. 31,2005 and would appear only available to those who have
    registered RSE.

    "The list price is $99.00. It’s a great price for a great product, but
    wait, there is more to come. To show our thanks for your loyal support of
    the essentials product we’re giving registered users a one-time amazing
    discount upgrade price of $59.00. This offer will only be available if the
    product is purchased during the remaining days of October. You will be able
    to pay in your local currency when downloading from our e-Shop."
    --
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
    http://edwardgruf.com/Digital_Photography/General/index.html
    Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!), Oct 28, 2005
    #7
  8. David J. Littleboy

    Annika1980 Guest

    >Just installed it, and the levels/curves works a charm.
    >I really think this interface is best over CS RAW and C1.


    I installed the new version as well and I find myself using it more and
    more.
    Guess I'll plop down the $59 before the price goes up.

    I'm still confused about the Sharpness slider. The mid-point on the
    slider is "0" and the lowest point is "-50."
    How can you have less than zero?
    Same thing for the Detail Extraction control.

    I think they should've made these starting at "0" and going up.
    When I first used RSE (at the "0" setting) I noticed that the pics were

    sharper than ACR was giving me. So I guess it's a marketing thing.

    Other than that minor quibble (I love quibbling with minors) it's a
    great program.
    Annika1980, Oct 28, 2005
    #8
  9. On 28 Oct 2005 04:17:28 -0700, in rec.photo.digital "Annika1980"
    <> wrote:

    >I'm still confused about the Sharpness slider. The mid-point on the
    >slider is "0" and the lowest point is "-50."
    >How can you have less than zero?
    >Same thing for the Detail Extraction control.
    >
    >I think they should've made these starting at "0" and going up.
    >When I first used RSE (at the "0" setting) I noticed that the pics were
    >
    >sharper than ACR was giving me. So I guess it's a marketing thing.


    RTFHF. The help file mentions that zero for several settings doesn't mean
    none, sharpening and detail extraction are at least two I remember being
    mentioned.
    --
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
    http://edwardgruf.com/Digital_Photography/General/index.html
    Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!), Oct 28, 2005
    #9
  10. David J. Littleboy

    Annika1980 Guest

    >RTFHF. The help file mentions that zero for several settings doesn't mean
    >none, sharpening and detail extraction are at least two I remember being
    >mentioned.


    I didn't need to RTFHF to see that since the slider goes down to -50.
    My point was that they did it that way as a marketing ploy to make the
    results sharper at the default setting of "0."

    Besides, who reads help files?
    Annika1980, Oct 28, 2005
    #10
  11. "Annika1980" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > >Just installed it, and the levels/curves works a charm.
    >>I really think this interface is best over CS RAW and C1.

    >
    > I installed the new version as well and I find myself using it more
    > and more.
    > Guess I'll plop down the $59 before the price goes up.
    >
    > I'm still confused about the Sharpness slider. The mid-point on
    > the slider is "0" and the lowest point is "-50."
    > How can you have less than zero?


    -50 sharpness is what other converters could call '0'. The truth is
    that all converters have 'some' sort of sharpening (due to the native
    conversion algorithm) applied. RSE/RSP just extracts more detail than
    others. If you need to post-process, just turn default Sharpening
    to -50 for low sharpening like some other converters.

    > Same thing for the Detail Extraction control.


    That is another conversion trade-off setting, IMO best left at 'zero'.

    > I think they should've made these starting at "0" and going up.


    RSE/RSP allows to do that with their Procession bias parameter
    settings set to -50.

    > When I first used RSE (at the "0" setting) I noticed that the pics
    > were sharper than ACR was giving me. So I guess it's a
    > marketing thing.


    It's more than mere marketing. RSE/RSP also does (most) default
    Chromatic Aberration correction without human intervention.
    >
    > Other than that minor quibble (I love quibbling with minors) it's a
    > great program.


    Yes, its workflow is excellent with a possibility to automatically
    post-process in you favorite photoeditor for additional tweaking.

    Bart
    Bart van der Wolf, Oct 30, 2005
    #11
  12. "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote in message
    news:e4h8f.3572$UF4.2633@fed1read02...
    SNIP
    > Curves and levels would be a VERY helpful addition.


    They've added it to the RSP version by popular demand, and it is
    helpful (single control for both). There are (obviously) several
    useful expansions over the free version (e.g. magnifier,
    Curves/Levels, non-destructive Cropping and rotation (leveling), and
    "Vibrance" control).

    Bart
    Bart van der Wolf, Oct 30, 2005
    #12
  13. David J. Littleboy

    W (winhag) Guest

    > It's more than mere marketing. RSE/RSP also does (most) default
    > Chromatic Aberration correction without human intervention.


    Bart,

    Do you know this to be fact? (that RSE/RSP does 'automatic' CA
    correction). I have taken the same image with CA through ACR with
    manual CA correction as well as RSE. RSE appeared to 'correct' the CA,
    however there were artifacts. Specifically, the CA appeared on the edge
    of a roof against a bright sky (near the edge of the frame). On the ACR
    conversion, the CA was manually eliminated leaving a natural transition
    from 'sky' to 'roof'. On the RSE conversion, there appeared to be dark
    band along the inside line(i.e. on the roof) of the roof. So I am
    wondering if RSE did true CA correction ( spatially scaling RGB
    components) or did some other 'edge' processing which appeared to
    correct CA but was really doing something else?

    Bart van der Wolf wrote:
    > "Annika1980" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    > > >Just installed it, and the levels/curves works a charm.
    > >>I really think this interface is best over CS RAW and C1.

    > >
    > > I installed the new version as well and I find myself using it more
    > > and more.
    > > Guess I'll plop down the $59 before the price goes up.
    > >
    > > I'm still confused about the Sharpness slider. The mid-point on
    > > the slider is "0" and the lowest point is "-50."
    > > How can you have less than zero?

    >
    > -50 sharpness is what other converters could call '0'. The truth is
    > that all converters have 'some' sort of sharpening (due to the native
    > conversion algorithm) applied. RSE/RSP just extracts more detail than
    > others. If you need to post-process, just turn default Sharpening
    > to -50 for low sharpening like some other converters.
    >
    > > Same thing for the Detail Extraction control.

    >
    > That is another conversion trade-off setting, IMO best left at 'zero'.
    >
    > > I think they should've made these starting at "0" and going up.

    >
    > RSE/RSP allows to do that with their Procession bias parameter
    > settings set to -50.
    >
    > > When I first used RSE (at the "0" setting) I noticed that the pics
    > > were sharper than ACR was giving me. So I guess it's a
    > > marketing thing.

    >
    > It's more than mere marketing. RSE/RSP also does (most) default
    > Chromatic Aberration correction without human intervention.
    > >
    > > Other than that minor quibble (I love quibbling with minors) it's a
    > > great program.

    >
    > Yes, its workflow is excellent with a possibility to automatically
    > post-process in you favorite photoeditor for additional tweaking.
    >
    > Bart
    W (winhag), Oct 30, 2005
    #13
  14. "W (winhag)" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >> It's more than mere marketing. RSE/RSP also does (most) default
    >> Chromatic Aberration correction without human intervention.

    >
    > Bart,
    >
    > Do you know this to be fact? (that RSE/RSP does 'automatic'
    > CA correction). I have taken the same image with CA through
    > ACR with manual CA correction as well as RSE. RSE appeared
    > to 'correct' the CA, however there were artifacts.


    Yes I'm sure, RSE/RSP does reduce the CA. It is not perfect, there can
    be some remainders, but they will probably be invisible in print.
    Whether it is true CA removal, it seems unlikely because that would
    probably require to also remove any pincushion/barrel distortion
    before applying a symmetrical correction.

    > Specifically, the CA appeared on the edge of a roof against
    > a bright sky (near the edge of the frame).


    That may have been a blooming artifact rather than CA, but it would
    take a closer inspection of the Raw file to make sure.

    SNIP
    > So I am wondering if RSE did true CA correction ( spatially
    > scaling RGB components) or did some other 'edge'
    > processing which appeared to correct CA but was really
    > doing something else?


    It is likely to be some kind of edge processing that hides the colored
    edges, but I could be wrong. The effect does improve the image by
    reducing colored edges.

    Bart
    Bart van der Wolf, Oct 31, 2005
    #14
  15. David J. Littleboy

    W (winhag) Guest

    > It is likely to be some kind of edge processing that hides the colored
    > edges, but I could be wrong. The effect does improve the image by
    > reducing colored edges.


    >From what I have seen, this is a bit scary. As I mentioned, it does

    'hide' colored edges but it seems this is at a cost of other (albeit
    less obvious) artifacts. I prefer to sit there manually with ACR and
    tweak the CA correction parameters to get a better more truly corrected
    result.


    Bart van der Wolf wrote:
    > "W (winhag)" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    > >> It's more than mere marketing. RSE/RSP also does (most) default
    > >> Chromatic Aberration correction without human intervention.

    > >
    > > Bart,
    > >
    > > Do you know this to be fact? (that RSE/RSP does 'automatic'
    > > CA correction). I have taken the same image with CA through
    > > ACR with manual CA correction as well as RSE. RSE appeared
    > > to 'correct' the CA, however there were artifacts.

    >
    > Yes I'm sure, RSE/RSP does reduce the CA. It is not perfect, there can
    > be some remainders, but they will probably be invisible in print.
    > Whether it is true CA removal, it seems unlikely because that would
    > probably require to also remove any pincushion/barrel distortion
    > before applying a symmetrical correction.
    >
    > > Specifically, the CA appeared on the edge of a roof against
    > > a bright sky (near the edge of the frame).

    >
    > That may have been a blooming artifact rather than CA, but it would
    > take a closer inspection of the Raw file to make sure.
    >
    > SNIP
    > > So I am wondering if RSE did true CA correction ( spatially
    > > scaling RGB components) or did some other 'edge'
    > > processing which appeared to correct CA but was really
    > > doing something else?

    >
    > It is likely to be some kind of edge processing that hides the colored
    > edges, but I could be wrong. The effect does improve the image by
    > reducing colored edges.
    >
    > Bart
    W (winhag), Oct 31, 2005
    #15
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. simon

    Pentax *istDL and Raw Shooter Essentials..?

    simon, Sep 5, 2005, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    361
    Pete D
    Sep 6, 2005
  2. Bill Hilton

    RAW Shooter Premium - did you upgrade or not?

    Bill Hilton, Nov 7, 2005, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    9
    Views:
    290
    Chip Gallo
    Nov 8, 2005
  3. Don

    breeze browser pro and Raw Shooter premium

    Don, Nov 13, 2005, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    331
  4. BillU

    AK raw shooter

    BillU, May 31, 2006, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    365
    Mark²
    May 31, 2006
  5. Steven Wandy

    Lightoom worth it for a non-RAW shooter?

    Steven Wandy, Feb 21, 2007, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    315
    Steven Wandy
    Feb 22, 2007
Loading...

Share This Page