    3 separate files, one for each colour?

    --
    Nospam

    Nospam, Jan 11, 2008

  2. Nospam

    nospam Guest

    In article <G3$>, Nospam
    <> wrote:

    > Exactly how does it work.
    >
    > Do I download all the shots from the Camera to the hard disc using
    > Nikons own software then process each one separately using a software
    > package I prefer?

    you can download the files just by dragging them from the card. or,
    various software, either nikon's or someone elses, can automate it.

    > Do/can I download them all at once?

    generally, yes. if you don't have time to transfer all of the images
    and you know exactly which ones you want, then you can copy just those,
    but that's very atypical. it's usually easier to just copy them all
    and pick the good ones later.

    > Is a single photo made up of one file with the 3 colours in it or is it
    > 3 separate files, one for each colour?

    one file with everything that's needed contained within. occasionally,
    there's an extra file, but that's rare (canon used to have a separate
    thumbnail file, for instance). if you shoot raw+jpg you get two files,
    one raw and one jpeg, but it's still a single file per image.

    nospam, Jan 11, 2008

  3. Nospam

    acl Guest

    On Jan 11, 4:07 am, Nospam <> wrote:
    > Exactly how does it work.
    >
    > Do I download all the shots from the Camera to the hard disc using
    > Nikons own software then process each one separately using a software
    > package I prefer?

    Yes, but you don't even need Nikon's software to download them. If the
    camera is set to "mass storage" mode (it is by default, I think), you
    just plug it into a usb port using the supplied cable and use it as an
    external disk drive. Simple! Or you can use an external USB card
    reader (really cheap).

    > Do/can I download them all at once?

    Yes, as described above: just treat it as a normal drive.

    > Is a single photo made up of one file with the 3 colours in it or is it
    > 3 separate files, one for each colour?

    It's a single file, eg dsc_3487.nef and so on.

    acl, Jan 11, 2008
  4. Nospam <> wrote:
    >Exactly how does it work.
    >
    >Do I download all the shots from the Camera to the hard disc

    Yes.

    > using Nikons own software

    If you want to. A simple "copy" on the OS level works much faster, thou.

    > then process each one separately using a software
    >package I prefer?

    Yes.

    >Do/can I download them all at once?

    Of course.

    >Is a single photo made up of one file with the 3 colours in it or is it
    >3 separate files, one for each colour?

    Well, it's a single file with all the information to create a picture. I'm
    not sure if "with the 3 colours in it" is really the right term when talking
    about RAW.

    jue

    Jürgen Exner, Jan 11, 2008
  5. Nospam

    Nospam Guest

    In message <100120081722375010%>, nospam
    <> writes
    >> Is a single photo made up of one file with the 3 colours in it or is it
    >> 3 separate files, one for each colour?

    >one file with everything that's needed contained within. occasionally,
    >there's an extra file, but that's rare (canon used to have a separate
    >thumbnail file, for instance). if you shoot raw+jpg you get two files,
    >one raw and one jpeg, but it's still a single file per image.

    Thanks for the info - a little knowledge helps me understand the extra
    stuff I read on the net.

    If I shoot raw +jpg

    do a particular photo have the same name but with a different
    extensions;
    say

    photo_20080112.nef and

    photo_20080112.jpg

    --
    Nospam

    Nospam, Jan 11, 2008
  6. Nospam

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Nospam
    <> wrote:

    > If I shoot raw +jpg
    >
    > do a particular photo have the same name but with a different
    > extensions;
    > say
    >
    > photo_20080112.nef and
    >
    > photo_20080112.jpg

    exactly. and some software can even handle both files, knowing that
    it's really just one photo in two different formats.

    nospam, Jan 11, 2008