    The aim, of course, if a JPEG with
    full and accurate EXIF.

    BugBear

    bugbear, Jul 9, 2007

  2. bugbear <bugbear@trim_papermule.co.uk_trim> wrote:
    >Has anyone written a workflow script that uses
    >ExifTool (http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/)
    >to transfer the appropriate EXIF tags from the RAW
    >file to the output JPEG file when using
    >DCRAW (http://cybercom.net/~dcoffin/dcraw/) ?
    >
    >In general, the "-TagsFromFile" option
    >is a good "first approximation, but some
    >tags would need altering or creating
    >(e.g. White Balance, Compression, colour space,
    >and any colour temperature assumptions
    >made during the use of DCraw)
    >
    >The aim, of course, if a JPEG with
    >full and accurate EXIF.

    One script that I use primarily to rotate images for
    correct orientation according to the EXIF tag, or
    lacking a tag by checking horizontal vs. vertical size
    also makes an attempt at that "first approximation".

    It rotates the image (using /convert/), and then tries
    to verify EXIF data and will copy it from the original
    JPEG file or from an NEF file if the JPEG is lacking.
    Other than changing the flagged orientation to match, it
    makes no attempt at updating tags though.

    I use /ufraw/ rather than /dcraw/, but the script is
    generic in that sense.

    Is that of any use to you?

    I'm not sure how significant it is with other cameras,
    but with Nikon there is a rather large difference
    between the EXIF data in a JPEG output file compared to
    an NEF output file.

    Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)

    Floyd L. Davidson, Jul 10, 2007

  3. bugbear

    l v Guest

    bugbear wrote:
    > Has anyone written a workflow script that uses
    > ExifTool (http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/)
    > to transfer the appropriate EXIF tags from the RAW
    > file to the output JPEG file when using
    > DCRAW (http://cybercom.net/~dcoffin/dcraw/) ?
    >
    > In general, the "-TagsFromFile" option
    > is a good "first approximation, but some
    > tags would need altering or creating
    > (e.g. White Balance, Compression, colour space,
    > and any colour temperature assumptions
    > made during the use of DCraw)
    >
    > The aim, of course, if a JPEG with
    > full and accurate EXIF.
    >
    > BugBear

    I wrote my own Perl scripts many years ago. My Canon 300D does not
    record the EXIF tags in the RAW file, rather in the THM file. I use
    dcraw and Image Magic (convert) to create a small (1024 x 1024) jpeg.
    exifcopy (http://www.hugsan.com/EXIFutils/) to copy all EXIF and IPTC
    data and Image::IPTCInfo to set some IPTC attributes followed by jhead
    (http://www.sentex.net/~mwandel/jhead) is used to automatically rotate
    the image based on the EXIF orientation tag. This and more occurs
    within the same script which downloads from the card to the hard drive
    which includes a backup copy of the raw file to an external server.

    However, since I do not use my converted jpegs for anything other than
    keyword tagging and previewing, I do not alter the tags for WB or color
    as I use dcraw with the following options: -m -t 0 -w -c

    --

    Len

    l v, Jul 10, 2007