    transfers raw files into tiffs and into photoshop, isn't processing tiffs in
    photoshop just as good?
    hope someone can shed some light on this. Many thanks.

    Onepercentf, Nov 8, 2003

  2. In article <>,
    (Onepercentf) wrote:

    > I have just bought a Canon 10D. I am wondering whether it is worth getting
    > the
    > Photoshop Raw plug-in (ok I know it needs a bit of tweaking to recognise the
    > Canon 10D), or even upgrading to Photoshop CS (which I am told includes a raw
    > facility which supports the 10D). Alternatively, as the Canon software
    > transfers raw files into tiffs and into photoshop, isn't processing tiffs in
    > photoshop just as good?
    > hope someone can shed some light on this. Many thanks.

    Not as good.
    Check the Adobe site for info on what RAW can do.
    You can't get the separate plugin anymore. However, the RAW in CS is
    better than the plugin and you get all the other benefits of CS for only
    $70 more than the plugin alone was.
    --
    Charlie Dilks
    Newark, DE USA

    Charlie Dilks, Nov 8, 2003

  3. Onepercentf

    gr Guest

    "Onepercentf" <> wrote
    > I have just bought a Canon 10D. I am wondering whether it is worth

    getting the
    > Photoshop Raw plug-in (ok I know it needs a bit of tweaking to recognise

    the
    > Canon 10D), or even upgrading to Photoshop CS (which I am told includes a

    raw
    > facility which supports the 10D). Alternatively, as the Canon software
    > transfers raw files into tiffs and into photoshop, isn't processing tiffs

    in
    > photoshop just as good?
    > hope someone can shed some light on this. Many thanks.

    I did some recent tests between RAW and TIFF, using an Olympus C-5050 zoom
    camera. Here's what I wrote in that thread...

    I've done some much better tests, and now it's quite clear that RAW format
    shows much more detail in the shadow areas than an 8-bit TIFF can show in
    the same image. This is on an Olympus C-5050 camera.

    This time I used the very same image for comparison. The RAW image, and the
    8-bit TIFF which was converted from the RAW image using the in-camera
    conversion process. This is equivalent to taking the picture in TIFF format,
    but it eliminates any differences due to a change in the image from once
    picture to the next. I also used no sharpening in the conversion, so that
    the RAW image and TIFF image would be identical in sharpness.

    After brightening both images by 50% and enhancing contrast by 50%, there is
    a remarkable difference in detail in the shadow areas. The RAW image shows
    far more detail at 100% zoom. Trees that simply don't show up in the TIFF
    image are visible in the RAW image. If anyone wants to see the comparison,
    I'd be happy to e-mail the results.

    Until now, I didn't think shooting in RAW would be that much better than
    high-quality JPEG (or TIFF). Since the difference is so apparent on the
    C-5050, I imagine it's very apparent on a dSLR like the 300D.

    Of course, it's still better to use auto-bracketing to give yourself
    properly exposed images to combine in software later. Then you don't have to
    worry about dragging detail out of shadow areas. But, if you can shoot only
    one frame, then RAW is by far the best choice.

    gr, Nov 8, 2003