Raw photo software

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Mayayana, Aug 11, 2012.

  1. Mayayana

    Mayayana Guest

    XP 32-bit. Can anyone shed some light on stable options
    for processing raw photos?

    Photos from Nikon and Panasonic cameras.

    No Photoshop.

    RawTherapee sometimes crashes with a VC++ runtime error.

    UFRaw crashes generally. (GIMP 2.8 is installed with UFRaw
    installed to the GIMP folder. I haven't yet tried installing an
    earlier GIMP version.)

    Found Delaboratory but haven't yet tried it.

    Another option seems to be Photiva. But Delaboratory
    and Photiva both seem to be lacking even the most
    basic documentation.

    Panasonic software is pretty good, but only for the
    Panasonic camera. Nikon's ViewNX is limited and their
    more involved software is expensive.

    Mayayana, Aug 11, 2012

  2. Mayayana

    PeterN Guest

    On 8/11/2012 4:42 PM, Mayayana wrote:
    > XP 32-bit. Can anyone shed some light on stable options
    > for processing raw photos?
    >
    > Photos from Nikon and Panasonic cameras.
    >
    > No Photoshop.
    >
    > RawTherapee sometimes crashes with a VC++ runtime error.
    >
    > UFRaw crashes generally. (GIMP 2.8 is installed with UFRaw
    > installed to the GIMP folder. I haven't yet tried installing an
    > earlier GIMP version.)
    >
    > Found Delaboratory but haven't yet tried it.
    >
    > Another option seems to be Photiva. But Delaboratory
    > and Photiva both seem to be lacking even the most
    > basic documentation.
    >
    > Panasonic software is pretty good, but only for the
    > Panasonic camera. Nikon's ViewNX is limited and their
    > more involved software is expensive.

    Try Corel PhotoPaint.

    --
    Peter

    PeterN, Aug 11, 2012

  3. Mayayana

    Bruce Guest

    "Mayayana" <> wrote:
    >XP 32-bit. Can anyone shed some light on stable options
    >for processing raw photos?
    >
    >Photos from Nikon and Panasonic cameras.
    >
    >No Photoshop.
    >
    >RawTherapee sometimes crashes with a VC++ runtime error.
    >
    >UFRaw crashes generally. (GIMP 2.8 is installed with UFRaw
    >installed to the GIMP folder. I haven't yet tried installing an
    >earlier GIMP version.)
    >
    >Found Delaboratory but haven't yet tried it.
    >
    > Another option seems to be Photiva. But Delaboratory
    >and Photiva both seem to be lacking even the most
    >basic documentation.
    >
    > Panasonic software is pretty good, but only for the
    >Panasonic camera. Nikon's ViewNX is limited and their
    >more involved software is expensive.

    Try here:
    <http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=5389>

    Bruce, Aug 11, 2012
  4. Mayayana

    nospam Guest

    In article <k06frj$s9a$>, Mayayana
    <> wrote:

    > XP 32-bit. Can anyone shed some light on stable options
    > for processing raw photos?

    lightroom.

    nospam, Aug 12, 2012
  5. Mayayana

    Mayayana Guest

    | > XP 32-bit. Can anyone shed some light on stable options
    | > for processing raw photos?
    |
    | lightroom.

    The latest version doesn't support XP. But I'm
    not sure it's really what I'm looking for, either.
    It seems to be a photo organizer. (The descriptions
    are vague.)

    Mayayana, Aug 12, 2012
  6. Mayayana

    Mayayana Guest

    | Try Corel PhotoPaint.

    That seems to be a basic grpahic editor. I'm looking
    specifically for a raw photo editor. At this point I'm
    looking for open source options, mainly because the
    price of Photoshop is absurd. But a very good program
    at a reasonable price would also be fine.

    Mayayana, Aug 12, 2012
  7. Mayayana

    Mayayana Guest

    | Try here:
    | <http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=5389>

    That's something I didn't know about, but how
    does it apply to raw photo editors? UFRaw and
    RawTherapee can both handle different formats.
    I can open a Nikon .NEF in either, for instance.
    It's just that the programs themselves don't seem
    to be stable. Would conversion to the neutral format
    help with that?

    Mayayana, Aug 12, 2012
  8. Mayayana

    nospam Guest

    In article <k06s4o$2js$>, Mayayana
    <> wrote:

    > | > XP 32-bit. Can anyone shed some light on stable options
    > | > for processing raw photos?
    > |
    > | lightroom.
    >
    > The latest version doesn't support XP.

    maybe you can still find an older version.

    > But I'm
    > not sure it's really what I'm looking for, either.
    > It seems to be a photo organizer. (The descriptions
    > are vague.)

    it's an organizer, raw processor, output manager (print, web, slide
    show, books, etc.) and more.

    it does just about everything most people need.

    highly recommended.

    30 day free trial (although probably not for the older xp compatible
    version).

    nospam, Aug 12, 2012
  9. Mayayana

    nospam Guest

    In article <k06sll$51t$>, Mayayana
    <> wrote:

    > | Try here:
    > | <http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=5389>
    > |

    > That's something I didn't know about, but how
    > does it apply to raw photo editors? UFRaw and
    > RawTherapee can both handle different formats.
    > I can open a Nikon .NEF in either, for instance.
    > It's just that the programs themselves don't seem
    > to be stable. Would conversion to the neutral format
    > help with that?

    adobe camera raw (part of lightroom) will process just about any raw
    format there is.

    nospam, Aug 12, 2012
  10. Mayayana

    PeterN Guest

    On 8/11/2012 8:17 PM, Mayayana wrote:
    > | Try Corel PhotoPaint.
    > |

    > That seems to be a basic grpahic editor. I'm looking
    > specifically for a raw photo editor. At this point I'm
    > looking for open source options, mainly because the
    > price of Photoshop is absurd. But a very good program
    > at a reasonable price would also be fine.

    I was just playing with Corel PhotoPaint, Sorry, I meant Paint Shop Pro,
    also a Corel product. They have a 30day free trial.

    --
    Peter

    PeterN, Aug 12, 2012
  11. Mayayana

    J. Clarke Guest

    In article <k06frj$s9a$>, says...

    > XP 32-bit. Can anyone shed some light on stable options
    > for processing raw photos?
    >
    > Photos from Nikon and Panasonic cameras.
    >
    > No Photoshop.

    Is there any reason you don't want to run Photoshop Elements 10?

    J. Clarke, Aug 12, 2012
  12. Mayayana

    Mayayana Guest

    | Is there any reason you don't want to run Photoshop Elements 10?

    I don't know. I'm looking for recommendations from
    people who work with raw photos. My only experience
    with PS Elements was a few years ago. It was junk.
    $100 for what was actually just a repackaging of the
    shareware PS3. But it may be very different now.

    It's hard to compare these different programs, so I
    was looking to narrow down the list of possibilities to
    programs that experienced photographers recommend.
    I have Paint Shop Pro 5 and the GIMP, which covers
    general graphic editing. The need is specifically for
    raw editing.

    In general I'd prefer to avoid Adobe. Their software
    is *very* bloated and *very* expensive. But at this
    point I'm not ruling out anything. It sounds like everyone
    here is using Adobe products. No one has commented
    on UFRaw, RawTherapee, or anything else open-source.

    Mayayana, Aug 12, 2012
  13. Mayayana

    tony cooper Guest

    On Sat, 11 Aug 2012 22:38:50 -0400, "Mayayana"
    <> wrote:

    >| Is there any reason you don't want to run Photoshop Elements 10?
    >|

    > I don't know. I'm looking for recommendations from
    >people who work with raw photos. My only experience
    >with PS Elements was a few years ago. It was junk.
    >$100 for what was actually just a repackaging of the
    >shareware PS3. But it may be very different now.
    >
    > It's hard to compare these different programs, so I
    >was looking to narrow down the list of possibilities to
    >programs that experienced photographers recommend.
    >I have Paint Shop Pro 5 and the GIMP, which covers
    >general graphic editing. The need is specifically for
    >raw editing.
    >
    > In general I'd prefer to avoid Adobe. Their software
    >is *very* bloated and *very* expensive. But at this
    >point I'm not ruling out anything. It sounds like everyone
    >here is using Adobe products. No one has commented
    >on UFRaw, RawTherapee, or anything else open-source.

    I have and use Adobe CS4, but I also have Elements 9.0. My daughter
    doesn't have CSanything, so I bought E 9.0 and installed it on both my
    computer and her computer. (Adobe allows two installs of Elements).
    She's learning E9.0, and I have it so I can help her in this process.

    I'm not going to try to make you like Elements, but it's not "junk"
    and it does much more than Gimp. Less than CSX, but E 10.0 has the
    RAW capability you want, and it's available for less than $100. If
    you buy a copy of E 9.0 on eBay, it's much less and has the RAW
    capability. There's very little I can do in CS4 that I can't do in
    Elements 9.0.

    Lightroom, of course, also has RAW capability but you'd have to learn
    a new series of steps in general editing to take advantage of LR.
    Jumping from Gimp to Elements would be easier than jumping from Gimp
    to LR. A big factor in the choice, though, would be
    cataloging/keywording aspect of LR. If this is of interest, it might
    sway the decision.

    When you say a program is "junk", it doesn't mean anything other than
    a general aversion to it. If you want helpful information, you have
    to provide some information about what you think is lacking. Those of
    us who have some experience with the program can then address your
    specific comments.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Aug 12, 2012
  14. Mayayana

    Bruce Guest

    "Mayayana" <> wrote:

    >| Try here:
    >| <http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=5389>
    >|

    > That's something I didn't know about, but how
    >does it apply to raw photo editors? UFRaw and
    >RawTherapee can both handle different formats.
    >I can open a Nikon .NEF in either, for instance.
    >It's just that the programs themselves don't seem
    >to be stable. Would conversion to the neutral format
    >help with that?

    I don't know, but I suggested it as another approach, one that you
    haven't tried yet.

    There's also Lightroom, but it isn't free and there's no guarantee it
    will be stable on your hardware. You might like to try increasing
    your computer's RAM.

    All graphics applications thrive on RAM, the more the better. The
    instability may happen when you run out of RAM and the application has
    to run via swap files (virtual RAM) on your hard disk.

    Bruce, Aug 12, 2012
  15. Mayayana

    Bruce Guest

    Rich <> wrote:

    >Paint Shop Pro is a good program but...they are probably only up to the
    >Nikon D200 in terms of raw support right now. :)

    But if it reads .dng files, use Adobe DNG converter (free).

    Bruce, Aug 12, 2012
  16. Mayayana

    nospam Guest

    In article <k074ng$8dt$>, Mayayana
    <> wrote:

    > | Is there any reason you don't want to run Photoshop Elements 10?
    >
    > I don't know. I'm looking for recommendations from
    > people who work with raw photos. My only experience
    > with PS Elements was a few years ago. It was junk.
    > $100 for what was actually just a repackaging of the
    > shareware PS3. But it may be very different now.

    photoshop elements is the same as standard photoshop but without the
    stuff pros need, such as cmyk, lab, etc. non-pros more than likely
    won't ever miss any of that.

    > It's hard to compare these different programs, so I
    > was looking to narrow down the list of possibilities to
    > programs that experienced photographers recommend.
    > I have Paint Shop Pro 5 and the GIMP, which covers
    > general graphic editing. The need is specifically for
    > raw editing.

    there are trial versions, making it very easy to compare.

    > In general I'd prefer to avoid Adobe. Their software
    > is *very* bloated and *very* expensive.

    some of their stuff is expensive while other product are not. photoshop
    elements is very cheap and often bundled for free with hardware.

    > But at this
    > point I'm not ruling out anything. It sounds like everyone
    > here is using Adobe products.

    that's because adobe products are generally very, very good.

    > No one has commented
    > on UFRaw, RawTherapee, or anything else open-source.

    most of those are crap.

    nospam, Aug 12, 2012
  17. Mayayana

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, tony cooper
    <> wrote:

    > I'm not going to try to make you like Elements, but it's not "junk"
    > and it does much more than Gimp. Less than CSX, but E 10.0 has the
    > RAW capability you want, and it's available for less than $100. If
    > you buy a copy of E 9.0 on eBay, it's much less and has the RAW
    > capability. There's very little I can do in CS4 that I can't do in
    > Elements 9.0.

    that's funny. a couple of weeks ago you insisted elements was $99 after
    i said it was available for less than $100. i guess you learned
    something.

    > Lightroom, of course, also has RAW capability but you'd have to learn
    > a new series of steps in general editing to take advantage of LR.

    nonsense. the raw processing is identical to photoshop. we went over
    this already. it's the *same* camera raw engine as in photoshop,
    including elements.

    nospam, Aug 12, 2012
  18. Mayayana

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Bruce
    <> wrote:

    > All graphics applications thrive on RAM, the more the better.

    that part is generally true.

    > The
    > instability may happen when you run out of RAM and the application has
    > to run via swap files (virtual RAM) on your hard disk.

    that is pure nonsense. it will just be slower. stability is unaffected.

    nospam, Aug 12, 2012
  19. Mayayana

    Mayayana Guest

    | All graphics applications thrive on RAM, the more the better. The
    | instability may happen when you run out of RAM and the application has
    | to run via swap files (virtual RAM) on your hard disk.

    I actually did increase to 4 GB and put the 3 GB switch
    in boot.ini, which allows software to use 3 GB on Win32.
    Raw Therapee advises that. But it's still crashing. :)

    Mayayana, Aug 12, 2012
  20. Mayayana

    Mayayana Guest

    Thanks, both of you, for sharing your opinions.
    I was hoping to hear personal opinions and
    experience about various things.

    This is all slightly awkward in that I'm trying to help
    a friend. She knows about cameras and photography.
    In the long run I think she's going to want to fullest
    possible range of functionality.
    I know about Windows, programming and to some
    extent digital graphics. I don't do much photography,
    but do work with computer graphics. So I'm also interested
    to learn about the general landscape of raw processing.

    It's been hard for me to assess the software options,
    partly because I don't know the camera settings and partly
    because I'm not clear about the different raw operations.
    (Maybe those are the same thing?)

    My impression was that what's called "Lab" is
    just basic raster functions like brightness/contrast that
    are already in "normal" graphic editors. Is there any easy
    explanation or list to differentiate basic raster operations
    from functions unique to raw photos?

    Lightroom: The latest version won't run on XP, so
    that's definitely out.

    About cataloguing and keywording: In general I think
    I'd consider that an obstacle, personally. A surprising
    number of the programs I've looked at put an Explorer
    treeview on the left and then want to display thumbnails
    of all photos in a folder. I don't want that sort of "help".
    I don't like software that tries to "protect me from the
    challenges" of navigating the filesystem.

    About calling software junk: The version of Photoshop
    Elements I tried was probably concurrent with PS v. 6 or
    7. I called it junk because, for the price, it was. The executable
    file for the program actually said it was Photoshop 3 in the
    embedded version information. I'm pretty sure that PS3 was
    cheap shareware. It probably sold for a lot less than $100.
    (I have a brother who got PS4 for free with a scanner.)
    PS3/Elements 6/7 only had one level of Undo. Old shareware
    with one level of Undo for $100, being presented as a limited
    version of a current product, seemed like a sneaky cheat to
    me.
    ...But, as I said, I haven't tried Elements since that time.

    >> on UFRaw, RawTherapee, or anything else open-source.

    > most of those are crap.

    Those two programs, at least, suffer from common drawbacks
    of open-source software. The interface of RawTherapee is very
    awkward. It doesn't even have a menu or right-click functionality.
    On the other hand, I was looking into them because I had come
    across conversations among what seemed to be professional
    photographers who repeatedly recommended Raw Therapee in
    particular. (Though from what I can tell, all such open source
    products are actually just wrappers around a base library known
    as dcraw.)

    Mayayana, Aug 12, 2012