    So would it be necessary to apply some sharpening in ACR to achieve a pin
    sharp image - because of the Anti aliasing filter in front of the sensor in
    the camera?
    Matalog, Jul 10, 2007

  2. Matalog

    Matalog Guest

    "Matalog" <> wrote in message
    news:8kSki.23859$%...
    > When shooting in RAW on the 400d and then bringing the images into ACR, is
    > it true that none of the in camera settings will be applied, e.g. no
    > Sharpness adjustments and no saturation or contrast adjustments - even if
    > the selected picture style is not neutral.
    >
    > So would it be necessary to apply some sharpening in ACR to achieve a pin
    > sharp image - because of the Anti aliasing filter in front of the sensor
    > in the camera?

    Sorry, low pass filter in front of the sensor I meant.

    Thanks for any replies.

    Matalog, Jul 10, 2007

  3. A more accurate name is blur filter!

    I produce fine art photographs with a high end canon eos camera and my
    advice is to urn the incamera sharpening off anyway as the in camera
    algorithms are usually not as good as you can do in applications like
    photoshop. To counteract the blur filter you need to source sharpen when
    the image is read in, content sharpen of the general image as part of your
    artistic processing and output sharpen to counteract the blur caused by
    inkjet dithering (if you use ink jet). I recommend Bruce Frasers book on
    photoshop sharpening for a good understanding of the processes involved.
    Malcolm
    Malcolm Smith, Jul 10, 2007
  4. Just noticed your previous post on sharp photo. Bruces book will answer
    your viewing questions. He suggests using 50% 100% etc as intermediate 33%
    66% etc anti alias heavily. Also you should only do final output sharpening
    when the image has been resized and then apply sharpening. Good output
    sharpening usually looks over the top on screen and you should print to see
    the effect.

    Malcolm
    Malcolm Smith, Jul 10, 2007
  5. Matalog

    Matt Ion Guest

    Matalog wrote:
    > When shooting in RAW on the 400d and then bringing the images into ACR, is
    > it true that none of the in camera settings will be applied, e.g. no
    > Sharpness adjustments and no saturation or contrast adjustments - even if
    > the selected picture style is not neutral.
    >
    > So would it be necessary to apply some sharpening in ACR to achieve a pin
    > sharp image - because of the Anti aliasing filter in front of the sensor in
    > the camera?

    Some settings will be stored in the file's metadata (particularly the
    camera's white balance setting), but no in-camera processing is applied.
    The term RAW basically describes what you're getting: the RAW sensor
    data, with no extra processing.
    Matt Ion, Jul 12, 2007