    Is it possible to edit? Raw in Adobe PS 7.0? How?

    Camera EOS 10D

    Ivan

    Ivan Pedersen, Jul 29, 2003

  2. Ivan Pedersen

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >From: "Ivan Pedersen"

    >Is it possible to edit? Raw in Adobe PS 7.0?

    Yes.

    >How? Camera EOS 10D

    Buy the $99 plug-in and edit a file header to accept the 10D ... do a Google
    search for details.

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, Jul 29, 2003

  3. Ivan Pedersen

    Bryce Guest

    Why is it that when I ask a question about an Intrepid in the Dodge news
    group that no one says:

    Actually, you'll need the 2003 Intrepid before you can "yada yada yada".
    FYI, if you have a stolen 1999 Intrepid...... "yada, yada, yada"

    but in the PS newsgroup, this silly Dan assumes that there is a chance that
    this Ivan might have a stolen item?

    Interesting

    Bryce, Jul 29, 2003
  4. Ivan Pedersen

    W6DKN Guest

    wrote:
    > In article <IDzVa.74$>,
    > says...
    >> Why is it that when I ask a question about an Intrepid in the Dodge
    >> news group that no one says:
    >>
    >> Actually, you'll need the 2003 Intrepid before you can "yada yada
    >> yada". FYI, if you have a stolen 1999 Intrepid...... "yada, yada,
    >> yada"
    >>

    >> but in the PS newsgroup, this silly Dan assumes that there is a
    >> chance that this Ivan might have a stolen item?

    Now who is making an assumption ?

    I did not assume, or even try to imply, that the guy had done anything
    wrong. I was merely responding to the erroneous advice given him that the
    Camera RAW plug-in would work with PS v.7.0 - which it won't. Apparently,
    it would have made you happier if the guy was left to find out for
    himself - after spending $100 for the plug-in...

    <<< Dan >>>

    W6DKN, Jul 30, 2003
  5. Ivan Pedersen

    Bryce Guest

    Bryce, Jul 30, 2003
  6. I loaded my RAW converter plug-in onto a friends computer that just
    bought a D10 and it wouldn't work.
    I went to Adobe.com to see if they had an update (they didn't) and
    sure enough the D10 is not listed as one of the cameras this plug-in
    is designed for.

    My friend has Photoshop 7.0 and the ability to save as JPG2000 format
    was available after the plug-in install.

    I'm a little surprised as it is listed as working for the D60.
    Did Canon change the RAW format?

    Larry

    Larry Miracle, Jul 30, 2003
  7. Ivan Pedersen

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >From: Larry Miracle

    >I loaded my RAW converter plug-in onto a friends computer that just
    >bought a D10 and it wouldn't work.
    >
    >I went to Adobe.com to see if they had an update (they didn't) and
    >sure enough the D10 is not listed as one of the cameras this plug-in
    >is designed for.
    >
    >I'm a little surprised as it is listed as working for the D60.
    >Did Canon change the RAW format?

    The 10D came out after the plug-in was introduced, apparently. To make it work
    you just need to edit one of the files to include the 10D. The chief designer
    of Photoshop (Thomas Knoll) agreed that this will work. Sounds like the RAW
    edit feature will be in Photoshop 8 so they haven't bothered updating the
    plug-in.

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, Jul 30, 2003
  8. It's a simple hack to get it to work with the 10D. I use it all the
    time. Just use a hex editor and search forD60 - change it to 10D.

    Randall Ainsworth, Jul 30, 2003
  9. Ivan Pedersen

    Charlie D Guest

    In article <XgEVa.23823$Bp2.15119@fed1read07>, <>
    wrote:

    > Good question. An even better question is how would Dan know? Did he try
    > it?

    Because people see the world through their own eyes.

    --
    Charlie Dilks
    Newark, DE USA

    Charlie D, Jul 30, 2003
  10. Ivan Pedersen

    Chris Cox Guest

    In article <>, Larry Miracle
    <> wrote:

    > I loaded my RAW converter plug-in onto a friends computer that just
    > bought a D10 and it wouldn't work.
    > I went to Adobe.com to see if they had an update (they didn't) and
    > sure enough the D10 is not listed as one of the cameras this plug-in
    > is designed for.
    >
    > I'm a little surprised as it is listed as working for the D60.
    > Did Canon change the RAW format?

    Yes, and the sensor changed slightly.

    Also, Canon failed to provide Adobe with any sample files or cameras to
    help them support the 10D (despite being told about the plugin far in
    advance).

    CHris

    Chris Cox, Jul 31, 2003
  11. "Chris Cox" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>, Larry Miracle
    > <> wrote:

    SNIP
    > > I'm a little surprised as it is listed as working for the D60.
    > > Did Canon change the RAW format?

    > Yes, and the sensor changed slightly.

    Wouldn't that mean that just binary editing the ACR plugin, replacing "D60"
    with "10D", isn't enough for an optimal conversion? Or does the ACR massage
    the data to such an extent (taking whatever R/G/B it gets from the file, and
    parameters from the EXIF) that that is not important anymore?

    Bart

    Bart van der Wolf, Jul 31, 2003
  12. Ivan Pedersen

    Stuart Guest

    "Ivan Pedersen" <> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > Is it possible to edit? Raw in Adobe PS 7.0? How?
    >
    > Camera EOS 10D
    >
    > Ivan

    You need to patch a data file that the RAW plugin uses:-

    Make a copy of the file "Camera Raw.8bi" in the same directory.
    Call it "Camera Raw-10D.8bi"
    Find this string:
    Canon EOS D30 Canon EOS D60"
    Patch it with a safe binary hex-editor to read:
    Canon EOS D30 Canon EOS 10D"
    Save the patched and renamed file
    Open PS 7 again
    and - voila - both file types opens... ! Simultanously!

    see threads in
    http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=null&message=4593948

    I've done this it works perfectly on PS 7.01

    Incidentally - If anyone out there is wondering whether it is tooo much
    bother dealing with RAW format let me give you one very strong reason. - the
    PS RAW plugin allows you to change the color temperature of the image as
    part of the conversion process - I have found this an enormously useful
    facility - espectially when shots have been taken in poor or mixed lighting.

    Stuart, Aug 1, 2003
  13. Ivan Pedersen

    Chris Cox Guest

    In article <3f290cb5$0$49102$4all.nl>, Bart van der
    Wolf <> wrote:

    > "Chris Cox" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <>, Larry Miracle
    > > <> wrote:

    > SNIP
    > > > I'm a little surprised as it is listed as working for the D60.
    > > > Did Canon change the RAW format?

    > > Yes, and the sensor changed slightly.

    > Wouldn't that mean that just binary editing the ACR plugin, replacing "D60"
    > with "10D", isn't enough for an optimal conversion?

    That's correct - it is not optimal.
    The color is just a little off.

    > Or does the ACR massage
    > the data to such an extent (taking whatever R/G/B it gets from the file, and
    > parameters from the EXIF) that that is not important anymore?

    You can get a (small) color cast in the 10D images that you wouldn't
    have in the D60 images.

    Chris

    Chris Cox, Aug 3, 2003