RAW Images with Jasc Paint Shop Pro 8

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Larry R Harrison Jr, May 3, 2004.

  1. I just acquired a Nikon Coolpix 5700 on eBay. I'd LOVE the D70 but
    couldn't pony up a grand, but with the advent of the $150 rebate etc I
    WAS able to pony up for the 5700. Look forward so much to enjoying it.

    I also have Jasc Paint Shop Pro 8 software, which will matter more in
    a minute.

    I do this as a hobby, and I'm not really so hot at it--when it comes
    to judging colors, white balance, etc, I suck at

    it--except maybe in the most obvious of circumstances. I really don't
    have that great of an "eye" per se.

    That said, with the Coolpix I desire to shoot almost exclusively in
    RAW format. That way, I can always tweak it later if photography
    friends of mine are around to show me good judgment with color balance
    etc--in addition to the realization that the more you tweak & resave
    JPEGs the more they're prone to losing quality.

    Thing is, Jasc Paint Shop Pro 8 can't open RAW photos as far as I
    know. I do have Nikon View 6 from owning a point & shoot Coolpix 775,
    and it will open and make a JPEG or TiFF of the RAW, but I would like
    to realize the full potential of Paint Shop Pro 8.

    So my questions are:

    * I expect a "no" on this, but is there a plug-in for allowing Jasc
    Paint Shop Pro 8 to open NEF RAW files?

    * When Nikon View 6 converts RAW to JPEG (or TIFF), is the sharpness,
    contrast etc the same as the 5700 would do it I were shooting in JPEG
    in the 1st place? If not, how do I make it that way (or close)? In
    other words, where's the "quick" or "one-touch" mode--as well as the
    overrides for allowing me to have it convert with different
    sharpness/white balance/etc settings?

    * I'm thinking the best way to do these things if there is no RAW
    plug-in for Jasc is to
    $ Convert the RAW to TIFF in Nikon View 6 (again, though--where
    are the sharpness etc defaults for how it does that--as well as a way
    to return those settings to "defaults" which would approximate how the
    5700 would do it?)

    $ Make the adjustments to the TIFF in Jasc

    $ For the FINAL step, save a JPEG of the TIFF--again, only when
    I'm practically done

    $ For future abilities, save the TIFF and RAW version of the file
    as well as the JPEG

    Tips? Any websites which explain this already?

    LRH

    Larry R Harrison Jr, May 3, 2004

  2. Larry R Harrison Jr

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On 3 May 2004 14:18:35 -0700, in rec.photo.digital
    (Larry R Harrison Jr) wrote:

    >I just acquired a Nikon Coolpix 5700 on eBay. I'd LOVE the D70 but
    >couldn't pony up a grand, but with the advent of the $150 rebate etc I
    >WAS able to pony up for the 5700. Look forward so much to enjoying it.
    >
    >I also have Jasc Paint Shop Pro 8 software, which will matter more in
    >a minute.

    >That said, with the Coolpix I desire to shoot almost exclusively in
    >RAW format. That way, I can always tweak it later if photography
    >friends of mine are around to show me good judgment with color balance
    >etc--in addition to the realization that the more you tweak & resave
    >JPEGs the more they're prone to losing quality.

    Be prepared to wait a while between shots. Takes ~20sec to write NEF to the
    card.

    >* I expect a "no" on this, but is there a plug-in for allowing Jasc
    >Paint Shop Pro 8 to open NEF RAW files?

    Not to my knowledge. The NV5/6 NEF plugins do not work with PSP7/8.

    >* When Nikon View 6 converts RAW to JPEG (or TIFF), is the sharpness,
    >contrast etc the same as the 5700 would do it I were shooting in JPEG
    >in the 1st place?

    It's whatever you had set in the camera. In NV you only have control over
    EV and WB adjustments. If you pay for Nikon Capture you have much more
    control including sharpness.

    >* I'm thinking the best way to do these things if there is no RAW
    >plug-in for Jasc is to
    > $ Convert the RAW to TIFF in Nikon View 6

    If you are really set on NEF, then you should consider editors that allow
    you to make use of the 12bit info. Once you convert to TIFF for PSP you're
    back down to 8bit, so you've lost the added benefit of NEF.

    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    See images taken with my CP-990 and 5700 at
    http://EdwardGRuf.com

    Ed Ruf, May 3, 2004

  3. Larry R Harrison Jr

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Mon, 03 May 2004 18:42:43 -0400, in rec.photo.digital Ed Ruf
    <> wrote:

    >If you are really set on NEF, then you should consider editors that allow
    >you to make use of the 12bit info. Once you convert to TIFF for PSP you're
    >back down to 8bit, so you've lost the added benefit of NEF.

    Forget this gibberish. I had a brain malfunction, it's been a long day.

    Ed Ruf, May 3, 2004
  4. Download the free image manipulation application called "Irfanview". Copy an
    image to the clipboard and then create a new image in Paintshop with the
    data. It's not perfect but a usable workaround.

    Douglas

    Douglas MacDonald, May 4, 2004