  1. Kevin

    Kevin Guest

    How do I open raw images in CS3 please?
    Kevin, Dec 12, 2008

  2. Kevin

    Sharon Guest

    File > Open in Camera Raw

    "Kevin" <> wrote in message
    news:49426fc6$...
    > How do I open raw images in CS3 please?
    Sharon, Dec 12, 2008

  3. Kevin

    Kevin Guest

    I am a relative novice to desktop manipulation and CS3

    I have taken test RAW images with my Canon and would ideally like a guide to
    transferring them to Photoshop so that I can edit them.

    Kevin, Dec 13, 2008
  4. Kevin

    nospam Guest

    In article <49437c3f$>, Kevin
    <> wrote:

    > I am a relative novice to desktop manipulation and CS3
    >
    > I have taken test RAW images with my Canon and would ideally like a guide to
    > transferring them to Photoshop so that I can edit them.

    which canon camera?

    do you have the latest camera raw plugin (v 4.6 for cs3)? if not, you
    might need to update it (free) at adobe.com for support for your
    camera.

    then all you need to do is open the raw image as you would any other
    image, and camera raw will appear.
    nospam, Dec 13, 2008
  5. Kevin

    ray Guest

    On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 09:11:20 +0000, Kevin wrote:

    > I am a relative novice to desktop manipulation and CS3
    >
    > I have taken test RAW images with my Canon and would ideally like a
    > guide to transferring them to Photoshop so that I can edit them.

    You might find it simpler to install ufraw. It will read the raw files,
    allow you to do basic editing and save output in various formats.

    ray, Dec 13, 2008
  6. Kevin

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Avery
    <Avery@home> wrote:

    > Every model of camera that produces RAW images is different to every
    > other model. You will need th exact Photoshop RAW plugin for the model
    > camera that you have.

    false. there's one camera raw plugin and it supports numerous cameras.

    > You will probably need to go to Adobe .com to
    > find the right one.

    at worst, he only needs to update it to the latest version.

    > If it is a very new model camera there is a chance
    > that CS3 will not open the file and you will need to go to CS4 or go
    > down a different path entirely.

    that's a possibility. he said it's a canon camera, and the only canon
    cameras that are not supported in cs3 is the canon 5d mark ii and g10.
    nospam, Dec 13, 2008
  7. ray wrote:
    > On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 09:11:20 +0000, Kevin wrote:
    >
    >> I am a relative novice to desktop manipulation and CS3
    >>
    >> I have taken test RAW images with my Canon and would ideally like a
    >> guide to transferring them to Photoshop so that I can edit them.
    >>

    > You might find it simpler to install ufraw. It will read the raw files,
    > allow you to do basic editing and save output in various formats.

    Bzzzzzzt!

    Wrong answer. Not for someone already using PS CS3.

    --
    john mcwilliams
    John McWilliams, Dec 13, 2008
  8. Kevin

    ray Guest

    On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 15:25:58 -0800, John McWilliams wrote:

    > ray wrote:
    >> On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 09:11:20 +0000, Kevin wrote:
    >>
    >>> I am a relative novice to desktop manipulation and CS3
    >>>
    >>> I have taken test RAW images with my Canon and would ideally like a
    >>> guide to transferring them to Photoshop so that I can edit them.
    >>>

    >> You might find it simpler to install ufraw. It will read the raw files,
    >> allow you to do basic editing and save output in various formats.
    >>

    > Bzzzzzzt!
    >
    > Wrong answer. Not for someone already using PS CS3.

    Could still be easier than sorting through all the plug-ins as previously
    advised.
    ray, Dec 13, 2008
  9. Kevin

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, ray <>
    wrote:

    > >> You might find it simpler to install ufraw. It will read the raw files,
    > >> allow you to do basic editing and save output in various formats.
    > >>

    > > Bzzzzzzt!
    > >
    > > Wrong answer. Not for someone already using PS CS3.

    > Could still be easier than sorting through all the plug-ins as previously
    > advised.

    that advice was wrong. there's only *one* camera raw plugin for cs3,
    although he may need to update it to the latest version.
    nospam, Dec 14, 2008
  10. Kevin

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Kevin <> wrote:
    >I am a relative novice to desktop manipulation and CS3
    >
    >I have taken test RAW images with my Canon and would ideally like a guide to
    >transferring them to Photoshop so that I can edit them.

    There's nothing to "transfer". You just open the files like any other
    image files.

    Assuming that you have a legal copy of Photoshop it should be trivial.

    --
    Ray Fischer
    Ray Fischer, Dec 14, 2008
  11. Kevin

    Dudley Hanks Guest

    "Ray Fischer" <> wrote in message
    > Kevin <> wrote:
    >>I am a relative novice to desktop manipulation and CS3
    >>
    >>I have taken test RAW images with my Canon and would ideally like a guide
    >>transferring them to Photoshop so that I can edit them.

    > There's nothing to "transfer". You just open the files like any other
    > image files.
    >
    > Assuming that you have a legal copy of Photoshop it should be trivial.
    >
    > --
    > Ray Fischer

    Here's another wrinkle to the RAW file issue:

    My wife shoots with a Canon EOS Rebel XT, and she wants to try using the RAW
    files. She set the camera to store images in both RAW and JPEG, and uses
    the Canon software to transfer files from the camera to the computer.

    Somehow, during the file transfer, the RAW files get converted to JPEG so
    that she ends up with two copies of the same file, in the same format.

    Anyone know what's happening?

    She's also tried to simply copy the files from the camera to a directory on
    the computer using Windows Explorer. The same thing happens.

    I haven't been able to figure out why the RAW's won't copy without being
    converted.

    We have Photoshop Elements installed, and she wants to see if RAW images
    give a better print, but it's difficult to do when she can only work with
    the RAW's on the camera.

    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

    Take Care,
    Dudley
    Dudley Hanks, Dec 14, 2008
  12. Kevin

    ray Guest

    On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 16:17:24 -0800, nospam wrote:

    >> > Bzzzzzzt!
    >> >
    >> > Wrong answer. Not for someone already using PS CS3.

    >> Could still be easier than sorting through all the plug-ins as
    >> previously advised.

    > that advice was wrong. there's only *one* camera raw plugin for cs3,
    > although he may need to update it to the latest version.

    OK, so there is only one latest version of the raw plugin. That's much
    easier then, than installing ufraw - NOT.
    ray, Dec 14, 2008
  13. Kevin

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Dudley Hanks <> wrote:
    >"Ray Fischer" <> wrote in message

    >>>I am a relative novice to desktop manipulation and CS3
    >>>
    >>>I have taken test RAW images with my Canon and would ideally like a guide
    >>>transferring them to Photoshop so that I can edit them.

    >> There's nothing to "transfer". You just open the files like any other
    >> image files.
    >>
    >> Assuming that you have a legal copy of Photoshop it should be trivial.

    >Here's another wrinkle to the RAW file issue:
    >
    >My wife shoots with a Canon EOS Rebel XT, and she wants to try using the RAW
    >files. She set the camera to store images in both RAW and JPEG, and uses
    >the Canon software to transfer files from the camera to the computer.
    >
    >Somehow, during the file transfer, the RAW files get converted to JPEG so
    >that she ends up with two copies of the same file, in the same format.
    >
    >Anyone know what's happening?

    Shrug. I don't use Canon's software. It's unneeded.

    >She's also tried to simply copy the files from the camera to a directory on
    >the computer using Windows Explorer. The same thing happens.
    >
    >I haven't been able to figure out why the RAW's won't copy without being
    >converted.

    Don't use the camera?

    >We have Photoshop Elements installed, and she wants to see if RAW images
    >give a better print, but it's difficult to do when she can only work with
    >the RAW's on the camera.
    >
    >Any suggestions would be appreciated.

    Microsoft does some things very well. User interface design is not
    one of those things. One of my pet peeves is software that screws
    things up by being too clever.

    --
    Ray Fischer
    Ray Fischer, Dec 14, 2008
  14. Kevin

    > Dudley Hanks <> wrote:

    >>> There's nothing to "transfer". You just open the files like any other
    >>> image files.
    >>>
    >>> Assuming that you have a legal copy of Photoshop it should be trivial.

    >>Here's another wrinkle to the RAW file issue:
    >>
    >>My wife shoots with a Canon EOS Rebel XT, and she wants to try using the
    >>RAW
    >>files. She set the camera to store images in both RAW and JPEG, and uses
    >>the Canon software to transfer files from the camera to the computer.
    >>
    >>Somehow, during the file transfer, the RAW files get converted to JPEG so
    >>that she ends up with two copies of the same file, in the same format.
    >>
    >>Anyone know what's happening?

    > Shrug. I don't use Canon's software. It's unneeded.
    >
    >>She's also tried to simply copy the files from the camera to a directory
    >>on
    >>the computer using Windows Explorer. The same thing happens.
    >>
    >>I haven't been able to figure out why the RAW's won't copy without being
    >>converted.

    > Don't use the camera?
    >
    >>We have Photoshop Elements installed, and she wants to see if RAW images
    >>give a better print, but it's difficult to do when she can only work with
    >>the RAW's on the camera.
    >>
    >>Any suggestions would be appreciated.

    > Microsoft does some things very well. User interface design is not
    > one of those things. One of my pet peeves is software that screws
    > things up by being too clever.
    >
    > --
    > Ray Fischer

    Yep...

    That's my pet peeve as well...

    Take Care,
    Dudley
    Dudley Hanks, Dec 14, 2008
  15. Kevin

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, ray <>
    wrote:

    > >> Could still be easier than sorting through all the plug-ins as
    > >> previously advised.

    > > that advice was wrong. there's only *one* camera raw plugin for cs3,
    > > although he may need to update it to the latest version.

    > OK, so there is only one latest version of the raw plugin. That's much
    > easier then, than installing ufraw - NOT.

    how exactly is installing and learning a new program easier than
    replacing a single file for one he already has?
    nospam, Dec 14, 2008
  16. Kevin

    ray Guest

    On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 20:02:24 -0800, nospam wrote:

    >> > that advice was wrong. there's only *one* camera raw plugin for cs3,
    >> > although he may need to update it to the latest version.

    >> OK, so there is only one latest version of the raw plugin. That's much
    >> easier then, than installing ufraw - NOT.

    > how exactly is installing and learning a new program easier than
    > replacing a single file for one he already has?

    Well let me see. One file vs. one file - seems like a tossup to me. What's
    to learn? You run it, you do it.
    ray, Dec 14, 2008
  17. Kevin

    Paul Furman Guest

    Kevin wrote:
    > How do I open raw images in CS3 please?

    Just double click them. If it complains about the wrong version get the
    latest ACR download. If your computer opens in another program,
    right-click open-with & chose photoshop.

    --
    Paul Furman
    www.edgehill.net

    Paul Furman, Dec 14, 2008
  18. Kevin

    Jurgen Guest

    John McWilliams wrote:
    > ray wrote:
    >> On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 09:11:20 +0000, Kevin wrote:
    >>
    >>> I am a relative novice to desktop manipulation and CS3
    >>>
    >>> I have taken test RAW images with my Canon and would ideally like a
    >>> guide to transferring them to Photoshop so that I can edit them.
    >>>

    >> You might find it simpler to install ufraw. It will read the raw
    >> files, allow you to do basic editing and save output in various formats.
    >>

    > Bzzzzzzt!
    >
    > Wrong answer. Not for someone already using PS CS3.

    Adobe ACR is not the be-all and end-all of RAW developers. In fact, it
    is not very good at all with some types of RAW images. I'd say using ACR
    for Canon DSLR files is going to guarantee minimised (if any) detail in
    highlights and a color cast after it's finished UNLESS a skilled
    operator creates a profile specifically for a particular camera. Not a
    trivial task for a new user.

    If the OP is using a Canon DSLR, he could do a lot worse than use
    Canon's own "Digital Photo Professional" to develop the RAW files and
    transfer them to Photoshop for processing using the "Open in Photoshop"
    menu option of DPP.

    If ufraw is half as good as it's dedicated users say, it too will have
    an "open in Photoshop" option, just like many other RAW developers have,
    some of which do not blur off light areas of the developed image to
    conceal a bad development routine the way ACR does (with Canon images).
    Jurgen, Dec 14, 2008
  19. Jurgen wrote:
    > John McWilliams wrote:
    >> ray wrote:

    >>> You might find it simpler to install ufraw. It will read the raw
    >>> files, allow you to do basic editing and save output in various formats.
    >>>

    >> Bzzzzzzt!
    >>
    >> Wrong answer. Not for someone already using PS CS3.
    >>

    > Adobe ACR is not the be-all and end-all of RAW developers. In fact, it
    > is not very good at all with some types of RAW images. I'd say using ACR
    > for Canon DSLR files is going to guarantee minimised (if any) detail in
    > highlights and a color cast after it's finished UNLESS a skilled
    > operator creates a profile specifically for a particular camera. Not a
    > trivial task for a new user.

    I'd say you're wrong about the capabilities of ACR. I use LR, where
    there are already created Profiles for Canon DSLRs. However, some skill
    is required; otherwise you may as well shoot JPEGs exclusively, no?

    > If the OP is using a Canon DSLR, he could do a lot worse than use
    > Canon's own "Digital Photo Professional" to develop the RAW files and
    > transfer them to Photoshop for processing using the "Open in Photoshop"
    > menu option of DPP.

    For images at the very extreme of the color range, this may still be
    true. Not however, for 98% of my shots.

    > If ufraw is half as good as it's dedicated users say, it too will have
    > an "open in Photoshop" option, just like many other RAW developers have,
    > some of which do not blur off light areas of the developed image to
    > conceal a bad development routine the way ACR does (with Canon images).

    How bout you show us both the RAW and developed JPEG that illustrate this?

    --
    john mcwilliams
    John McWilliams, Dec 14, 2008
  20. Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2008-12-12 06:05:58 -0800, "Kevin" <> said:
    >
    >> How do I open raw images in CS3 please?

    > Provided youi have the Camera RAW plugin for your camera's version of
    > RAW file, all you should have to do is locate the RAW file on your
    > PC/MAC whatever, just open with CS3 and you should be introduced to the
    > arcane world of RAW work flow.
    >
    > If you have a full installation of CS3, it should also include ACR and
    > Adobe Bridge (maybe not the best file system, but funtional within the
    > CS environment).
    >
    > Open Bridge and find your RAW file and open it. If you have the
    > appropriate Camera Raw plugin installed, you should be able to work with
    > the file to your heart's content.
    > If it does not open you will need to go to the Adpbe web site and
    > download and install the latest Camera Raw plugin and restart the PS apps.

    This will not work for cameras that are quite new, or if the plugin is
    made for CS4 only.
    In either case, using the free Adobe DNG converter will allow you to
    import and develop almost any RAW image and edit it in at least CS2, 3,
    and 4. (Maybe CS1, too)

    --
    john mcwilliams
    John McWilliams, Dec 14, 2008