    other third party software? Just curious regarding what others find works
    best.
    Chuck

    Wright, Nov 19, 2004

  2. Wright

    Annika1980 Guest

    >From: Wright nojunk_wright9@nojunk_mac.com

    >For those with Canon EOS's or 20D's/10D's What program(s) do you use to
    >process and convert your RAW images? Do you use the Canon supplied EOS
    >Viewer Utility or Digital Photo Professional, or do you use Photoshop or
    >other third party software? Just curious regarding what others find works
    >best.

    For workflow considerations I usually use Adobe Camera RAW. However, I do like
    the little color wheel in the Digital Photo Professional software. That makes
    adjusting color a lot simpler. Silverfast scanning software does the same
    thing.
    I don't know why all software doesn't have this.

    Annika1980, Nov 19, 2004

  3. Wright

    Guest

    In message <>,
    (Annika1980) wrote:

    >For workflow considerations I usually use Adobe Camera RAW. However, I do like
    >the little color wheel in the Digital Photo Professional software.

    DPP looks like the beginnings of a good program, but it needs a lot of
    work. The worst thing about it is that it clips highlights, no matter
    how adjust the transfer curves. They just aren't there. I wonder if
    the programmer(s) even knew that RAW files have a stop or more of
    highlights not present in a JPEG.
    --

    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
    John P Sheehy <>
    ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><

    , Nov 19, 2004
  4. Wright

    David Hardin Guest

    Breezebrowser

    David Hardin, Nov 19, 2004
  5. Wright

    Mark B. Guest

    "Wright" <nojunk_wright9@nojunk_mac.com> wrote in message
    > For those with Canon EOS's or 20D's/10D's What program(s) do you use to
    > process and convert your RAW images? Do you use the Canon supplied EOS
    > Viewer Utility or Digital Photo Professional, or do you use Photoshop or
    > other third party software? Just curious regarding what others find works
    > best.
    > Chuck

    I use Capture One LE for my 10D raw, but just got Photoshop CS so I'll be
    comparing the two. I've been very happy with C1, however.

    Mark

    Mark B., Nov 19, 2004
  6. I shoot Oly and use Photoshop...have been happy with it but would be
    interested in what other programs offer in this regard. Does PS rank with
    the best...should I look around?

    Gene Palmiter, Nov 19, 2004
  7. Wright

    Mark² Guest

    "Wright" <nojunk_wright9@nojunk_mac.com> wrote in message
    > For those with Canon EOS's or 20D's/10D's What program(s) do you use to
    > process and convert your RAW images? Do you use the Canon supplied EOS
    > Viewer Utility or Digital Photo Professional, or do you use Photoshop or
    > other third party software? Just curious regarding what others find works
    > best.
    > Chuck

    Capture One LE has a very nice workflow, with excellent output.
    Photoshop CS has some nice options available, but I definitely prefer the
    over-all...day-to-day use of C1.

    Canon's software is a very sad excuse for a RAW converter.
    I don't understand how a company so innovative can allow their software to
    lag so far behind the curve. The only thing I can figure is that they know
    most editors need programs that convert more than just Canon files, and so
    perhaps they just assume it's not worth their efforts and expense to even
    attempt creating a competetive work-flow product for conversion.

    Mark², Nov 19, 2004
  8. Wright

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >From: Wright nojunk_wright9@nojunk_mac.com
    >
    >For those with Canon EOS's or 20D's/10D's What program(s) do you use to
    >process and convert your RAW images?

    Phase One Capture One LE is probably the best, once you get the hang of it.
    It's especially useful for evaluating a large number of files quickly once the
    big thumbnails are done, and if you look at out-of-focus areas with smooth
    tones at about 300% you'll see the demosaicing is slightly better than the
    others, which means large prints or files that are resampled up look better.

    Photoshop CS RAW is probably # 2. I'm reading Fraser's "Camera Raw with
    Photoshop CS" right now and he promises to show how to use File Browser to make
    CS as easy to use as Capture One. We'll see ... the demosaicing isn't quite as
    good as C1 though.

    Breezebrowser is basically the Canon converter with an easier-to-use shell
    around it, so the demosaicing is identical to what you get from Canon. BB was
    hot stuff about three years ago when Capture One cost $500 and the Adobe RAW
    converter wasn't available but it looks like the third string today.

    Canon DPP is an improvement over the earlier Canon software. And it's free.
    It's encouraging that the Canon software is getting better. Try it and if it
    meets your needs stick with it.

    That's how I'd rate them, after trying all four.

    Bill Hilton, Nov 19, 2004
  9. Wright

    Guest

    On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 02:20:40 GMT, Wright
    <nojunk_wright9@nojunk_mac.com> wrote:

    >For those with Canon EOS's or 20D's/10D's What program(s) do you use to
    >process and convert your RAW images? Do you use the Canon supplied EOS
    >Viewer Utility or Digital Photo Professional, or do you use Photoshop or
    >other third party software? Just curious regarding what others find works
    >best.
    >Chuck

    I have just gotten an upgrade from Photoshop 5.5 to CS and JUST this
    week started fooling around with RAW images.

    I HAD been using the FileViewer Utility that came with my Rebel to
    convert to TIFF and then work with the images in Photoshop.

    Now, I find corrections MUCH easier to do in PS CS Raw.... but I am
    seeing a LOT of onscreen grain in my pics. I have not had any of them
    printed yet so I cannot say as to the end quality...

    Now, Using the FileViewer Utility to convert those same images to TIFF
    and then looking at them in PS CS I see a LOT less grain. I sent a
    note into Canon Customer Support and surprisingly got an answer
    back.... saying they cannot comment on 3d party software (Adobe?
    Considered 3d Party? I always thought they set the standard??) Canon
    said that the RAW format was a propriatairy format and thus might
    perform differently with third party software.

    Made sense byt the jury is still out for me till I get a few prints
    made!

    , Nov 19, 2004
  10. Wright

    MB Guest

    Capture One LE. I wouldn't use anything else.

    MB, Nov 19, 2004
  11. Wright

    Pixel Pirate Guest

    Pardon me for point this out.....
    C1 - according to it's web site doesn't support 20D files!

    Pixel Pirate, Nov 19, 2004
  12. Wright

    DJ Guest

    On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 06:53:47 -0000, "MB" <> wrote:

    >Capture One LE. I wouldn't use anything else.

    If I am reading Phase One's latest newsletter correctly they are dropping the
    low-end versions (viz LE) and retaining only the Pro version. If feel totally
    dudded by them. I bought the dRebel edition for (I seem to recall) $49 (I missed
    out on the initial limited time $29 offer). Now I have to upgrade to a $450
    (approx) product if I want to stay with them.

    BAH!

    To me that smacks of very sleezy marketing tactics. Nice software - shit
    company.

    DJ, Nov 19, 2004
  13. Wright

    Mark B. Guest

    "DJ" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 06:53:47 -0000, "MB" <> wrote:
    >
    >>Capture One LE. I wouldn't use anything else.

    > If I am reading Phase One's latest newsletter correctly they are dropping
    > the
    > low-end versions (viz LE) and retaining only the Pro version. If feel
    > totally
    > dudded by them. I bought the dRebel edition for (I seem to recall) $49 (I
    > missed
    > out on the initial limited time $29 offer). Now I have to upgrade to a
    > $450
    > (approx) product if I want to stay with them.
    >
    > BAH!
    >
    > To me that smacks of very sleezy marketing tactics. Nice software - shit
    > company.

    You read it wrong. They're discontinuing the SE version. If you go to the
    phaseone.com site, SE is no longer available for download. This is also
    confirmed in their News section.

    Mark

    Mark B., Nov 19, 2004
  14. Wright

    JohnJ Guest

    > Canon's software is a very sad excuse for a RAW converter.

    This may be so in many respects but I find that the colours produced by the
    Eos Viewer Utility from my 10D are better, ie more natural and accurate,
    than C1 Pro. I still use C1 Pro because it does everything I need in an
    efficient manner, however I wish it were written by Adobe so that it had
    fewer bugs.
    JJ

    JohnJ, Nov 19, 2004
  15. In article <BDC2B48D.DA91%nojunk_wright9@nojunk_mac.com>, Wright
    <nojunk_wright9@nojunk_mac.com> wrote:

    > For those with Canon EOS's or 20D's/10D's What program(s) do you use to
    > process and convert your RAW images? Do you use the Canon supplied EOS
    > Viewer Utility or Digital Photo Professional, or do you use Photoshop or
    > other third party software? Just curious regarding what others find works
    > best.

    Photoshop (on Mac, of course)

    Randall Ainsworth, Nov 19, 2004
  16. Wright

    Annika1980 Guest

    >From: Randall Ainsworth

    >Photoshop (on Mac, of course)

    Outside of the snob appeal, what difference would it make that you use PS on a
    Mac? The program runs identically on both platforms.

    Annika1980, Nov 19, 2004
  17. Wright

    DJ Guest

    On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 06:29:47 -0500, "Mark B." <> wrote:

    >"DJ" <> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 06:53:47 -0000, "MB" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Capture One LE. I wouldn't use anything else.

    >> If I am reading Phase One's latest newsletter correctly they are dropping
    >> the
    >> low-end versions (viz LE) and retaining only the Pro version. If feel
    >> totally
    >> dudded by them. I bought the dRebel edition for (I seem to recall) $49 (I
    >> missed
    >> out on the initial limited time $29 offer). Now I have to upgrade to a
    >> $450
    >> (approx) product if I want to stay with them.
    >>
    >> BAH!
    >>
    >> To me that smacks of very sleezy marketing tactics. Nice software - shit
    >> company.
    >>

    >You read it wrong. They're discontinuing the SE version. If you go to the
    >phaseone.com site, SE is no longer available for download. This is also
    >confirmed in their News section.

    Thanks Mark. Phew! Put it down to me getting confused between SE & LE.

    DJ

    DJ, Nov 19, 2004
  18. Wright

    Guest

    In message <>,
    dy (Bill Hilton) wrote:

    >Canon DPP is an improvement over the earlier Canon software.

    It doesn't make all the highlights captured in the RAW file accessible,
    though.
    --

    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
    John P Sheehy <>
    ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><

    , Nov 19, 2004
  19. In article <>, Annika1980
    <> wrote:

    > Outside of the snob appeal, what difference would it make that you use PS on a
    > Mac? The program runs identically on both platforms.

    No snob appeal here...the Mac is just a better way of doing things and
    I don't have to worry about it dying.

    Randall Ainsworth, Nov 20, 2004
  20. Wright

    c0smic Guest

    Wright wrote:

    > For those with Canon EOS's or 20D's/10D's What program(s) do you use to
    > process and convert your RAW images? Do you use the Canon supplied EOS
    > Viewer Utility or Digital Photo Professional, or do you use Photoshop or
    > other third party software? Just curious regarding what others find works
    > best.
    > Chuck

    Photoshop RAW is good because it can zoom up to 400% in the preview window.
    Lets you really fine tune the settings. The chromatic aberration sliders
    can make purple fringing disappear. White balance is easy too.

    c0smic, Nov 20, 2004