    it working.

    Thanks,
    Jon

    scubatv, Apr 29, 2005

  2. scubatv

    Al Dykes Guest

    In article <>,
    scubatv <> wrote:
    >Hello,
    >
    >Would anyone know of availabe free software for viewing RAW files?
    >
    >I DL the trial version of Capture One, but can't figure out how to get
    >it working.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Jon

    IrFanView (http://irfanview.com/) works fine for all the raw formats I
    know of. When you d/l it make sure you get the plugins.

    The price is right.

    --
    a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

    Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.

    Al Dykes, Apr 29, 2005

  3. scubatv

    dylan Guest

    "scubatv" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > Would anyone know of availabe free software for viewing RAW files?
    >
    > I DL the trial version of Capture One, but can't figure out how to get
    > it working.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Jon

    If you have a Canon try http://www.rawxplorer.com/Overview.html
    (used to be photoexplorer)

    dylan, Apr 29, 2005
  4. scubatv

    jimkramer Guest

    "scubatv" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > Would anyone know of availabe free software for viewing RAW files?
    >
    > I DL the trial version of Capture One, but can't figure out how to get
    > it working.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Jon

    http://www.pixmantec.com/products/rawshooter_essentials.html

    Very nice program

    Jim

    jimkramer, Apr 29, 2005
  5. scubatv

    Sheldon Guest

    "scubatv" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > Would anyone know of availabe free software for viewing RAW files?
    >
    > I DL the trial version of Capture One, but can't figure out how to get
    > it working.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Jon

    Just download Nikon View. It's free, much simpler than Capture and gives
    you a few adjustments as well. I bought Capture and the manual is the size
    of a phone book. It does have a lot of features, however, and some
    magazines place it on the same shelf as Photoshop, although I think
    Photoshop is much better. Many people like Nikon View better than the
    software that now comes with new Nikons.

    Sheldon, Apr 29, 2005
  6. scubatv

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 10:05:29 -0600, in rec.photo.digital "Sheldon"
    <> wrote:
    >"scubatv" <> wrote in message

    >> Would anyone know of availabe free software for viewing RAW files?
    >>
    >> I DL the trial version of Capture One, but can't figure out how to get
    >> it working.

    >Just download Nikon View. It's free, much simpler than Capture and gives
    >you a few adjustments as well. I bought Capture and the manual is the size
    >of a phone book. It does have a lot of features, however, and some
    >magazines place it on the same shelf as Photoshop, although I think
    >Photoshop is much better. Many people like Nikon View better than the
    >software that now comes with new Nikons.

    Umm, he said Capture One, not Nikon Capture. You are assuming a bit much.

    ----------
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at

    Ed Ruf, Apr 30, 2005
  7. On 29 Apr 2005 10:51:25 EDT, "jimkramer"
    <> wrote:

    >http://www.pixmantec.com/products/rawshooter_essentials.html
    >
    >Very nice program

    I tried that today (after spending a while trying to see why I needed
    a "trial" version for something they insisted was free), and after
    installing the program it told me my old Athlon lacked SSE so it
    wouldn't run. Oh well. It sounded good.

    Duncan

    Duncan Chesley, Apr 30, 2005
  8. scubatv

    Sheldon Guest

    "Ed Ruf" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 10:05:29 -0600, in rec.photo.digital "Sheldon"
    > <> wrote:
    >>"scubatv" <> wrote in message

    >>> Would anyone know of availabe free software for viewing RAW files?
    >>>
    >>> I DL the trial version of Capture One, but can't figure out how to get
    >>> it working.

    >>Just download Nikon View. It's free, much simpler than Capture and gives
    >>you a few adjustments as well. I bought Capture and the manual is the
    >>size
    >>of a phone book. It does have a lot of features, however, and some
    >>magazines place it on the same shelf as Photoshop, although I think
    >>Photoshop is much better. Many people like Nikon View better than the
    >>software that now comes with new Nikons.

    > Umm, he said Capture One, not Nikon Capture. You are assuming a bit much.

    My mistake. I guess I saw that he "downloaded" a trial version, and I just
    saw the word Capture and made some assumptions.

    Sheldon, Apr 30, 2005
  9. scubatv

    Guest

    In message <d4tcvu$r93$>,
    (Al Dykes) wrote:

    >IrFanView (http://irfanview.com/) works fine for all the raw formats I
    >know of. When you d/l it make sure you get the plugins.

    Irfanview may be showing you a small TIFF or a JPEG embedded in the RAW
    file. Even when set to convert the RAW file, it does not give you any
    control over the conversion, which is pretty useless.
    --

    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
    John P Sheehy <>
    ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><

    , Apr 30, 2005
  10. "scubatv" <> writes:

    > Hello,
    >
    > Would anyone know of availabe free software for viewing RAW files?
    >
    > I DL the trial version of Capture One, but can't figure out how to get
    > it working.

    I use UFRaw, which is a plugin for GIMP to view/edit E-1 RAW files:
    http://ufraw.sourceforge.net/

    It is based on David Coffin's free program dcraw to decode RAW files:
    http://www.cybercom.net/~dcoffin/dcraw/

    A different GIMP plugin (Raw Photo) is:
    http://ptj.rozeta.com.pl/Soft/RawPhoto/

    Gimp is available from:
    http://www.gimp.org

    If you want to decode the EXIF information, use EXIFTOOL:
    http://owl.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/

    All of these are free software, both in terms of cost, and in terms of freedom
    to modify the programs, since the source is available.

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email:

    Michael Meissner, Apr 30, 2005
  11. scubatv

    Bubbabob Guest

    Check out Pixmantec's 'Raw Shooter Essentials', now in beta and free.

    Bubbabob, Apr 30, 2005
  12. scubatv

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 20:21:07 -0000, in rec.photo.digital Bubbabob
    <rnorton@_remove_this_thuntek.net> wrote:

    >Check out Pixmantec's 'Raw Shooter Essentials', now in beta and free.

    FWIW, I've found it's auto WB feature just plain misses the boat.
    Not even close.
    ----------

    Ed Ruf, Apr 30, 2005
  13. scubatv

    nailer Guest

    Adobe has a free plugin for Photoshop, reads most of RAWs from various
    manufacturers..

    On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 20:06:59 -0400, Ed Ruf <>
    wrote:

    *On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 10:05:29 -0600, in rec.photo.digital "Sheldon"
    *<> wrote:
    *>"scubatv" <> wrote in message
    *>news:...
    *
    *>> Would anyone know of availabe free software for viewing RAW files?
    *>>
    *----------
    *http://edwardgruf.com/Digital_Photography/General/index.html

    nailer, May 1, 2005
  14. scubatv

    Bubbabob Guest

    Ed Ruf <> wrote:

    > On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 20:21:07 -0000, in rec.photo.digital Bubbabob
    ><rnorton@_remove_this_thuntek.net> wrote:
    >
    >>Check out Pixmantec's 'Raw Shooter Essentials', now in beta and free.

    > FWIW, I've found it's auto WB feature just plain misses the boat.
    > Not even close.
    > ----------
    > Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    > http://edwardgruf.com/Digital_Photography/General/index.html

    Who would use auto white balance in software? At that point in the
    workflow you're supposed to be using your eyes and your brain.

    My main problem with it is the lack of a gamma/midpoint control, relying
    instead on controls to bend the uppen and lower ends of the curve
    independently.

    The sharpening algorithm is remarkable and damned fast for a non-USM
    method that gives results very similar to deconvolution, which usually
    takes about 20 times longer on my computer.

    Bubbabob, May 1, 2005
  15. scubatv

    Bubbabob Guest

    nailer <> wrote:

    > Adobe has a free plugin for Photoshop, reads most of RAWs from various
    > manufacturers..

    Only for CS and CS2. Photoshop 7 users are out of luck.

    Bubbabob, May 1, 2005
  16. scubatv

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Sun, 01 May 2005 01:21:55 -0000, in rec.photo.digital Bubbabob
    <rnorton@_remove_this_thuntek.net> wrote:

    >Ed Ruf <> wrote:
    >>
    >> FWIW, I've found it's auto WB feature just plain misses the boat.
    >> Not even close.

    >Who would use auto white balance in software? At that point in the
    >workflow you're supposed to be using your eyes and your brain.

    If you'd climb down off your high horse you might realize there may be
    situations it's warranted. Not every photograph is art, and needs to be
    tweaked to the nth degree.There are other reasons to photograph things,
    such as for the purpose of documentation.

    I need to document the installation and chronological state of a half
    million dollar scramjet engine installed in a multi-million dollar test
    facility. The model is mostly made of high conductivity copper, not an easy
    subject to photograph. For safety concerns the "natural" lighting in the
    facility doesn't illuminate the model enough so use of the flash is
    required. The facility lighting can be a mix of protected fluorescents and
    explosion proof incandescents. Add the camera flash to this mix and you
    have an ever changing illumination temperature depending on the field of
    view of a specific photo. I've found batch processing in Nikon Capture
    using the auto WB calculation does a quite acceptable job on maybe a 100
    photos per week.It would be foolish to spend any more time on these.

    Given I'm doing this on taxpayers $$, you might actually have a stake in
    this and care that I've used my brain and have found the least "expensive"
    solution to the problem at hand. Then again, maybe not.
    ----------

    Ed Ruf, May 1, 2005
  17. scubatv

    David Hardin Guest

    "Bubbabob" <rnorton@_remove_this_thuntek.net> wrote in message
    > Check out Pixmantec's 'Raw Shooter Essentials', now in beta and free.

    I tried Raw Shooter as an alternative to Breezebrowser and Canon DPP. While
    it has some interesting features, I found that the converted files, when
    opened in PS or ACDSee did not match the colors on the screen in Raw
    Shooter. They tended to be more muted and shifted white balance.

    For now I'm sticking with Breezebrowser.

    David Hardin, May 1, 2005
  18. scubatv

    Bubbabob Guest

    "David Hardin" <> wrote:

    > "Bubbabob" <rnorton@_remove_this_thuntek.net> wrote in message
    >> Check out Pixmantec's 'Raw Shooter Essentials', now in beta and free.

    > I tried Raw Shooter as an alternative to Breezebrowser and Canon DPP.
    > While it has some interesting features, I found that the converted
    > files, when opened in PS or ACDSee did not match the colors on the
    > screen in Raw Shooter. They tended to be more muted and shifted white
    > balance.
    >
    > For now I'm sticking with Breezebrowser.

    As I work in Adobe98 space, I don't use ACDsee to view color critical
    material. Do you have PS properly set up to display files in their
    appropriate color spaces or are you doing some sort of color space
    conversion upon opening the file? I don't see any shift at all when I
    open my Raw Shooter converted files in PS. What output color space did
    you choose in Raw Shooter?

    Since you're seeing the image in Raw Shooter before it's trimmed to fit
    an output color space it's possible you're seeing some difference if
    you've exceeded the gamut of your output space. Perhaps RS modifies its
    displayed image to match the output space you've chosen. The
    documentation doesn't get into this.

    I don't recall BreezeBrowser giving you any control over the conversion,
    just like IrfanView.

    Bubbabob, May 2, 2005
  19. scubatv

    Iain Laskey Guest

    In article <>,
    (scubatv) wrote:

    > *From:* "scubatv" <>
    > *Date:* 29 Apr 2005 06:20:29 -0700
    >
    > Hello,
    >
    > Would anyone know of availabe free software for viewing RAW files?
    >
    > I DL the trial version of Capture One, but can't figure out how to get
    > it working.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Jon

    RawShooter Essentials from Pixmantec is currently free.

    Iain

    Iain Laskey, May 2, 2005