    Granted the C-5060W is not a state-of-the-art digital SLR, so I would like to know if the
    Olympus C-8080 or E1 have a better record in this respect.

    Thanks to all.
    RD Munger, Jul 9, 2004

  2. RD Munger

    deimos Guest

    RD Munger wrote:

    > Hello everyone.
    >
    > I have an Olympus C-5060W and discovered that it takes approximately 5-6 seconds to store
    > an uncompressed RAW or TIFF image.
    >
    > This is generally not a problem, but I occasionally take animal photographs which require
    > a faster response time of just a brief moment between shots.
    >
    > Granted the C-5060W is not a state-of-the-art digital SLR, so I would like to know if the
    > Olympus C-8080 or E1 have a better record in this respect.
    >
    > Thanks to all.

    dpreview.com

    You'll find better media make a big difference in write speed. Also,
    RAW is faster than TIFF (total time).
    deimos, Jul 10, 2004

  3. RD Munger

    Alfred Molon Guest

    RD Munger <> wrote:
    >Hello everyone.
    >
    >I have an Olympus C-5060W and discovered that it takes approximately 5-6 seconds to store
    >an uncompressed RAW or TIFF image.
    >
    >This is generally not a problem, but I occasionally take animal photographs which require
    >a faster response time of just a brief moment between shots.
    >
    >Granted the C-5060W is not a state-of-the-art digital SLR, so I would like to know if the
    >Olympus C-8080 or E1 have a better record in this respect.

    It's a sad story.

    The Olympus 5050 is capable of writing to a fast CF card at 2.5 MByte/s,
    thereby storing a RAW image in 3 seconds.

    Then Olympus decided to reduce this speed in the 5060 and 8080. The 5060
    tops out at 1MB/s, the 8080 only at 0.9MB/s. The person at Olympus who
    took this design decision should be shot.

    The E1 instead is capable of writing to the memory card at 3.5MByte/s.
    --

    Alfred Molon
    Alfred Molon, Jul 10, 2004
  4. RD Munger

    RD Munger Guest

    On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 11:00:26 +0200, Alfred Molon <>
    wrote:

    >RD Munger <> wrote:
    >>Hello everyone.
    >>
    >>I have an Olympus C-5060W and discovered that it takes approximately 5-6 seconds to store
    >>an uncompressed RAW or TIFF image.
    >>
    >>This is generally not a problem, but I occasionally take animal photographs which require
    >>a faster response time of just a brief moment between shots.
    >>
    >>Granted the C-5060W is not a state-of-the-art digital SLR, so I would like to know if the
    >>Olympus C-8080 or E1 have a better record in this respect.

    >It's a sad story.
    >
    >The Olympus 5050 is capable of writing to a fast CF card at 2.5 MByte/s,
    >thereby storing a RAW image in 3 seconds.
    >
    >Then Olympus decided to reduce this speed in the 5060 and 8080. The 5060
    >tops out at 1MB/s, the 8080 only at 0.9MB/s. The person at Olympus who
    >took this design decision should be shot.
    >
    >The E1 instead is capable of writing to the memory card at 3.5MByte/s.

    Thank you, Alfred for the information!

    Robert

    RD Munger, Jul 13, 2004