    Windows ME
    Lacie electron19Blue IV monitor

    --
    W Chan, Jan 30, 2005

  2. W Chan

    Stacey Guest

    W Chan wrote:

    > Nikon Capture, PB Capture One, PhotoShop CS? or Elements 3.0?
    > I am new to RAW shooting/file converters.
    >
    > Any suggestion?

    Yes, test them yourself! Not being a SA, it's just some of this is VERY
    subjective and you'll have to see which one you like the looks of. That's
    why they have trial versions.

    --

    Stacey
    Stacey, Jan 30, 2005

  3. W Chan

    Joe Makowiec Guest

    Joe Makowiec, Jan 30, 2005
  4. W Chan

    SoFlaChris Guest

    I have had the best results with Capture One LE. Second to that, I
    like PS CameraRaw
    SoFlaChris, Jan 30, 2005
  5. W Chan

    Carl Miller Guest

    On January 30 2005, "W Chan" <> wrote:
    > Nikon Capture, PB Capture One, PhotoShop CS? or Elements 3.0?
    > I am new to RAW shooting/file converters.
    >
    > Any suggestion?

    I've been playing around with DxO (www.dxo.com) and kinda like it. You
    may read some complaints about the simplicity of the interface. I guess
    people figure for that amount of money they should get more buttons... I
    didn't buy it for the number of buttons and switches, I bought it for
    how it makes my images look. But I'm weird that way.

    Anyway, it's obviously not for everyone, but then, what is? I like
    capture one, but I shoot a lot of .jpgs and DxO will process .jpgs as
    well as raw files. It's got a free trial version you can download and
    try out. I have a Canon 10D so I tested DxO against Canon's RAW
    converter (ZoomBrowser) and Capture One, and I liked the images from DxO
    the best. Capture One was number two.

    You may also want to look at Bibble, which I've never tried but some
    people seem to like.

    But keep in mind, "better" is subjective, so you may just have to
    download trial versions and test them all yourself using the type of
    images you shoot.

    --
    Carl Miller

    www.stellarphotos.com
    Carl Miller, Jan 30, 2005
  6. W Chan

    paul Guest

    W Chan wrote:

    > Nikon Capture, PB Capture One, PhotoShop CS? or Elements 3.0?
    > I am new to RAW shooting/file converters.
    >
    > Any suggestion?

    Breeze Browser is another. I'm trying to figure out how to batch
    process, I like CS but capture includes curve adjustment & CS doesn't
    seem to include batch output though it's great for applying settings to
    other pics based on one in thumbnail view.
    paul, Jan 30, 2005
  7. W Chan

    paul Guest

    Carl Miller wrote:

    > On January 30 2005, "W Chan" <> wrote:
    >
    >>Nikon Capture, PB Capture One, PhotoShop CS? or Elements 3.0?
    >>I am new to RAW shooting/file converters.
    >>
    >>Any suggestion?

    > I've been playing around with DxO (www.dxo.com) and kinda like it.

    Ah that's the one that has lens specific noise corrections.
    Unfortunately not my lens yet.
    paul, Jan 30, 2005
  8. W Chan

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 11:16:02 -0600, in rec.photo.digital
    (Carl Miller) wrote:

    >I've been playing around with DxO (www.dxo.com) and kinda like it. You
    >may read some complaints about the simplicity of the interface. I guess
    >people figure for that amount of money they should get more buttons... I
    >didn't buy it for the number of buttons and switches, I bought it for
    >how it makes my images look. But I'm weird that way.

    Then you are missing one of the reasons one wants to work with the raw
    data, the ability to work with the 12-bit data. If you don't have the tools
    within the converter, your only option is to save to 16-bit tiff as an
    intermediary medium. A very inefficient workflow.
    ----------
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
    Ed Ruf, Jan 30, 2005
  9. W Chan

    Ryadia Guest

    "paul" <> wrote in message
    > Carl Miller wrote:
    >
    > > On January 30 2005, "W Chan" <> wrote:
    > >
    > >>Nikon Capture, PB Capture One, PhotoShop CS? or Elements 3.0?
    > >>I am new to RAW shooting/file converters.
    > >>
    > >>Any suggestion?

    > > I've been playing around with DxO (www.dxo.com) and kinda like it.

    > Ah that's the one that has lens specific noise corrections.
    > Unfortunately not my lens yet.

    Maybe the soft images when you use the lens specific module for some lenses
    put people off too.
    In particular it can't make a crisp conversion on the 18~55 Canon lens but
    corrects the barrel distortion. Figure that out!

    Doug
    Ryadia, Jan 30, 2005
  10. W Chan

    Hunt Guest

    In article <L__Kd.211557$Xk.42482@pd7tw3no>, says...

    >Nikon Capture, PB Capture One, PhotoShop CS? or Elements 3.0?
    >I am new to RAW shooting/file converters.
    >
    >Any suggestion?
    >
    >will.
    >Nikon D-70
    >Windows ME
    >Lacie electron19Blue IV monitor

    For PS-CS, you will need to upgrade your OS to XP. I use Nikon Capture and PS
    -CS, and rely on PS most of the time. I cannot comment on Capture One, or
    what/how PS-Elements works, i.e. what the RAW plug-in is like, or if it will
    run under ME.

    Hunt
    Hunt, Jan 30, 2005
  11. W Chan

    Barry Guest

    On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 06:18:19 GMT, "W Chan" <> wrote:

    >Nikon Capture, PB Capture One, PhotoShop CS? or Elements 3.0?
    >I am new to RAW shooting/file converters.
    >
    >Any suggestion?

    I've been using Bibble Pro 4.1 since November and am very happy with
    it. There is a free download for a trial period. Forum support is
    outstanding. Version 4.2 will be released soon. Purchasing 4.1 will
    get you the upgrade free.

    http://www.bibblelabs.com
    Barry, Jan 31, 2005
  12. W Chan

    paul Guest

    Barry wrote:

    > I've been using Bibble Pro 4.1 since November and am very happy with
    > it. There is a free download for a trial period. Forum support is
    > outstanding. Version 4.2 will be released soon. Purchasing 4.1 will
    > get you the upgrade free.
    >
    > http://www.bibblelabs.com

    Ouch $130! It does sound good though. Seems you can easily apply
    settings from one to another. Can the batching use different settings
    for each pic? PS-CS does not batch; you can apply settings easily across
    images but must open each to save/convert. PS-CS also does not include
    curves which bibble does and Capture does.
    paul, Jan 31, 2005
  13. W Chan

    paul Guest

    Barry wrote:

    > I've been using Bibble Pro 4.1 since November and am very happy with
    > it. There is a free download for a trial period. Forum support is
    > outstanding. Version 4.2 will be released soon. Purchasing 4.1 will
    > get you the upgrade free.
    >
    > http://www.bibblelabs.com

    Works as a plugin to PS too. Hmmm PS-CS includes lens correction for
    chromatic abberation, it seems bibble lacks this feature. It shrinks &
    grows color channels for mismatch inherent in lenses at the edges
    causing purple fringing. I don't know another simple way to fix that.

    Thanks for any clarification, I'm hesitant to give them my email for a
    download but tempted by the batch feature.
    paul, Jan 31, 2005