    obviously I'm losing something, but really, that much? I heard "CS" can
    handle 16-bits but what did everyone do before this?

    Also I see a lot of what looks like grain when I view at 100% in Elements.

    end user too, Feb 11, 2004

  2. end user too

    DJ Guest

    On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 19:13:03 GMT, "end user too" <>
    wrote:

    >With my 300D I'm just starting to play with RAW format and for my first
    >test I did a white balance correction using the white point tool in the
    >Canon Fileviewer Utility v1.3.1.9 for Windows, and wow, what a difference in
    >the greens of a shot I took in a forest.
    >
    >But I can not get this same image quality into Photoshop Elements where I
    >can crop and reduce, etc., when I use the Transfer Image function, or when I
    >save as TIFF, or when I save to JPEG.
    >
    >I did notice there is a conversion to "8-bit per channel" option so
    >obviously I'm losing something, but really, that much? I heard "CS" can
    >handle 16-bits but what did everyone do before this?
    >
    >Also I see a lot of what looks like grain when I view at 100% in Elements.

    I suggest you invest $49 in Capture One Digital Rebel, a proper RAW converter
    program. Fileviewer is garbage.

    DJ, Feb 11, 2004

  3. "end user too" <> wrote in message
    > With my 300D I'm just starting to play with RAW format and for my first
    > test I did a white balance correction using the white point tool in the
    > Canon Fileviewer Utility v1.3.1.9 for Windows, and wow, what a difference

    in
    > the greens of a shot I took in a forest.
    >
    > But I can not get this same image quality into Photoshop Elements where I
    > can crop and reduce, etc., when I use the Transfer Image function, or when

    > save as TIFF, or when I save to JPEG.
    >
    > I did notice there is a conversion to "8-bit per channel" option so
    > obviously I'm losing something, but really, that much? I heard "CS" can
    > handle 16-bits but what did everyone do before this?
    >
    > Also I see a lot of what looks like grain when I view at 100% in Elements.

    It sounds like you might have colour management issues here. Are you savvy
    with ICC profiles and conversions?
    Before CS I still handled my PS work in 16-bit for 'showcase' images - I
    lost layers, that's all For 'bulk' processing I used 8-bit, actions and
    batching. Someone has already recomended Capture One for raw conversion -
    With this a lot of the pixel altering processing in PS becomes redundant for
    'straight' photo's, and therefore the requirement for 16-bit processing too
    --
    Simon
    http://www.pbase.com/phoenikz

    Simon Stanmore, Feb 11, 2004