    a lot of time with the RAW images worth it, of course. Any
    recommendations as to what settings to use in Photoshop RAW editor or
    what tool to use to quickly output "decent" JPEGs?

    Hoshisato, Jun 5, 2006

  2. Hoshisato

    Scott W Guest

    Hoshisato wrote:
    > I'm looking for a tool that would quickly give me JPEGs from my RAW
    > images so that I can show them to people interested in my trip and not
    > so interested in seeing the best picture possible. I intend on spending
    > a lot of time with the RAW images worth it, of course. Any
    > recommendations as to what settings to use in Photoshop RAW editor or
    > what tool to use to quickly output "decent" JPEGs?

    RawShooter essentials is a free program that can do batch concretions
    of raw file to jpeg.

    It is also not a bad converter for those images you want to spend just
    a bit more time on.

    Scott

    Scott W, Jun 5, 2006

  3. Hoshisato

    Panno Zhai Guest

    Hoshisato wrote:
    > I'm looking for a tool that would quickly give me JPEGs from my RAW
    > images so that I can show them to people interested in my trip and not
    > so interested in seeing the best picture possible. I intend on spending
    > a lot of time with the RAW images worth it, of course. Any
    > recommendations as to what settings to use in Photoshop RAW editor or
    > what tool to use to quickly output "decent" JPEGs?

    Hoshisato,

    How about paying a homage and using the RAW converter of your
    countrymen, which is arguably the best RAW converter in the world ?

    It is called SilkyPix, and is avaliable for only 16000 yen,
    http://www.isl.co.jp/SILKYPIX/english/

    Panno Zhai, Jun 5, 2006
  4. Hoshisato

    Bob Williams Guest

    Hoshisato wrote:
    > I'm looking for a tool that would quickly give me JPEGs from my RAW
    > images so that I can show them to people interested in my trip and not
    > so interested in seeing the best picture possible. I intend on spending
    > a lot of time with the RAW images worth it, of course. Any
    > recommendations as to what settings to use in Photoshop RAW editor or
    > what tool to use to quickly output "decent" JPEGs?

    The Canon EOS series DSLRs can capture in RAW + jpeg.
    Probably others can do the same.
    Download the jpeg for friends and family.
    Download the RAW for extensive editing prior to printing.
    Bob Williams

    Bob Williams, Jun 5, 2006
  5. Hoshisato

    Hoshisato Guest

    Bob Williams wrote:
    > Hoshisato wrote:
    > > I'm looking for a tool that would quickly give me JPEGs from my RAW
    > > images so that I can show them to people interested in my trip and not
    > > so interested in seeing the best picture possible. I intend on spending
    > > a lot of time with the RAW images worth it, of course. Any
    > > recommendations as to what settings to use in Photoshop RAW editor or
    > > what tool to use to quickly output "decent" JPEGs?
    > >

    > The Canon EOS series DSLRs can capture in RAW + jpeg.
    > Probably others can do the same.
    > Download the jpeg for friends and family.
    > Download the RAW for extensive editing prior to printing.
    > Bob Williams

    I have a Pentax *Ist DS and it doesn't have that option yet. Wouldn't
    it be possible that the camera included the processing it would have
    done had it saved the image as a JPEG in its RAW header? DSLR cameras
    come with software and in that case it would be so easy to generate the
    same quality JPEGs the camera would have stored while still having
    access to the RAW file for tweaking. :)

    Hoshisato, Jun 5, 2006
  6. Hoshisato

    John Bean Guest

    On 5 Jun 2006 01:20:57 -0700, "Hoshisato"
    <> wrote:

    >Bob Williams wrote:
    >> Hoshisato wrote:
    >> > I'm looking for a tool that would quickly give me JPEGs from my RAW
    >> > images so that I can show them to people interested in my trip and not
    >> > so interested in seeing the best picture possible. I intend on spending
    >> > a lot of time with the RAW images worth it, of course. Any
    >> > recommendations as to what settings to use in Photoshop RAW editor or
    >> > what tool to use to quickly output "decent" JPEGs?
    >> >

    >> The Canon EOS series DSLRs can capture in RAW + jpeg.
    >> Probably others can do the same.
    >> Download the jpeg for friends and family.
    >> Download the RAW for extensive editing prior to printing.
    >> Bob Williams

    >I have a Pentax *Ist DS and it doesn't have that option yet. Wouldn't
    >it be possible that the camera included the processing it would have
    >done had it saved the image as a JPEG in its RAW header? DSLR cameras
    >come with software and in that case it would be so easy to generate the
    >same quality JPEGs the camera would have stored while still having
    >access to the RAW file for tweaking. :)

    Ah, even easier. All Pentax raw files have an embedded
    full-size JPEG which can be extracted. If you use Windows
    you can use the handy free program pef2jpeg from here:

    http://www.kit.hi-ho.ne.jp/yj_okawa/pef2jpeg_readme-e.html

    As an alternative the excellent Exiftool can also extract
    embedded JPEGs if you don't mind using a command line tool.

    --
    John Bean

    John Bean, Jun 5, 2006
  7. Hoshisato

    Hoshisato Guest

    John Bean wrote:
    > On 5 Jun 2006 01:20:57 -0700, "Hoshisato"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    > >Bob Williams wrote:
    > >> >
    > >> The Canon EOS series DSLRs can capture in RAW + jpeg.
    > >> Probably others can do the same.
    > >> Download the jpeg for friends and family.
    > >> Download the RAW for extensive editing prior to printing.
    > >> Bob Williams

    > >I have a Pentax *Ist DS and it doesn't have that option yet. Wouldn't
    > >it be possible that the camera included the processing it would have
    > >done had it saved the image as a JPEG in its RAW header? DSLR cameras
    > >come with software and in that case it would be so easy to generate the
    > >same quality JPEGs the camera would have stored while still having
    > >access to the RAW file for tweaking. :)

    > Ah, even easier. All Pentax raw files have an embedded
    > full-size JPEG which can be extracted. If you use Windows
    > you can use the handy free program pef2jpeg from here:
    >
    > http://www.kit.hi-ho.ne.jp/yj_okawa/pef2jpeg_readme-e.html
    >
    > As an alternative the excellent Exiftool can also extract
    > embedded JPEGs if you don't mind using a command line tool.

    Wow, thanks! That solves indeed all my problems!

    Hoshisato, Jun 5, 2006
  8. Hoshisato

    Scott W Guest

    Bob Williams wrote:
    > Hoshisato wrote:
    > > I'm looking for a tool that would quickly give me JPEGs from my RAW
    > > images so that I can show them to people interested in my trip and not
    > > so interested in seeing the best picture possible. I intend on spending
    > > a lot of time with the RAW images worth it, of course. Any
    > > recommendations as to what settings to use in Photoshop RAW editor or
    > > what tool to use to quickly output "decent" JPEGs?
    > >

    > The Canon EOS series DSLRs can capture in RAW + jpeg.
    > Probably others can do the same.
    > Download the jpeg for friends and family.
    > Download the RAW for extensive editing prior to printing.
    > Bob Williams

    I use to do this but in the end getting the jpeg from the raw was so
    easy there simply did not seem to be any point in it. I now save a
    some flash card space by only saving the raw file.

    Still for those people who really hate to mess with raw shooting
    jpeg+raw is far better then just shooting jpeg.

    Scott

    Scott W, Jun 5, 2006
  9. Scott W wrote:
    > Bob Williams wrote:
    >
    >>Hoshisato wrote:
    >>
    >>>I'm looking for a tool that would quickly give me JPEGs from my RAW
    >>>images so that I can show them to people interested in my trip and not
    >>>so interested in seeing the best picture possible. I intend on spending
    >>>a lot of time with the RAW images worth it, of course. Any
    >>>recommendations as to what settings to use in Photoshop RAW editor or
    >>>what tool to use to quickly output "decent" JPEGs?
    >>>

    >>The Canon EOS series DSLRs can capture in RAW + jpeg.
    >>Probably others can do the same.
    >>Download the jpeg for friends and family.
    >>Download the RAW for extensive editing prior to printing.
    >>Bob Williams

    > I use to do this but in the end getting the jpeg from the raw was so
    > easy there simply did not seem to be any point in it. I now save a
    > some flash card space by only saving the raw file.
    >
    > Still for those people who really hate to mess with raw shooting
    > jpeg+raw is far better then just shooting jpeg.

    H-

    It's right there in PS. What version have you?

    --
    john mcwilliams

    John McWilliams, Jun 5, 2006
  10. Hoshisato

    Hoshisato Guest

    John McWilliams wrote:
    > Scott W wrote:
    > > Bob Williams wrote:

    > >>The Canon EOS series DSLRs can capture in RAW + jpeg.
    > >>Probably others can do the same.
    > >>Download the jpeg for friends and family.
    > >>Download the RAW for extensive editing prior to printing.
    > >>Bob Williams

    > > I use to do this but in the end getting the jpeg from the raw was so
    > > easy there simply did not seem to be any point in it. I now save a
    > > some flash card space by only saving the raw file.
    > >
    > > Still for those people who really hate to mess with raw shooting
    > > jpeg+raw is far better then just shooting jpeg.
    > >

    > H-
    >
    > It's right there in PS. What version have you?

    I'm on Photoshop Elements 3.

    Hoshisato, Jun 6, 2006
  11. Hoshisato

    Scott W Guest

    Hoshisato wrote:

    > > It's right there in PS. What version have you?
    > >

    > I'm on Photoshop Elements 3.

    Whereas you can open a raw file with Elements 3 it is not very good at
    doing a whole lot of conversions at once.

    mode.

    http://www.pixmantec.com/

    Scott

    Scott W, Jun 6, 2006
  12. Hoshisato

    Matt Ion Guest

    Hoshisato wrote:
    > I'm looking for a tool that would quickly give me JPEGs from my RAW
    > images so that I can show them to people interested in my trip and not
    > so interested in seeing the best picture possible. I intend on spending
    > a lot of time with the RAW images worth it, of course. Any
    > recommendations as to what settings to use in Photoshop RAW editor or
    > what tool to use to quickly output "decent" JPEGs?

    www.irfanview.com

    Default RAW-viewing displays only the embedded JPG, for quick browsing,
    and it will do batch conversions to standalone JPGs, either extracing
    the embedded ones, or processing the actual RAW file.

    Matt Ion, Jun 6, 2006