    test.

    --
    Kenny Cargill

    Kenny, Oct 2, 2007

  2. Kenny wrote:
    > Have ruled out the case fan, easy and safe to disconnect that.
    > Is it safe to run for a short time without the CPU fan?

    Sure, for less than 10 seconds, maybe considerably less, then you may or
    may not see the puff of smoke, but it will be dead. I wouldn't do it to
    a chip I planned to keep using.

    > Can I run with the video card out to eliminate the fan on that? It's a
    > Geforce 6600.

    Sure, you'll of course have nothing to look at on the screen, but it's
    okay let it attempt to start.

    > Don't think there's any way to disable the chipset fan or is there? It's a
    > Gigabyte m/b with Nvidia chipset.
    > Not sure about the PSU fan but I should be able to borrow another PSU to
    > test.

    You're sort of on the right track, but I've never had a problem
    narrowing down which fan is getting wonky just by listening carefully,
    maybe interfering with the fan's operation for only a second with my finger.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Oct 2, 2007

  3. Kenny

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    Rôgêr wrote:
    > Kenny wrote:
    > You're sort of on the right track, but I've never had a problem
    > narrowing down which fan is getting wonky just by listening carefully,
    > maybe interfering with the fan's operation for only a second with my
    > finger.

    Safety note:- On the hub, *not* on the blades.

    Desk Rabbit, Oct 2, 2007
  4. Kenny

    VanguardLH Guest

    "Kenny" <> wrote in message
    > Have ruled out the case fan, easy and safe to disconnect that.
    > Is it safe to run for a short time without the CPU fan? Will the on
    > chip protection be adequate for that? It's an Athlon XP3200.
    > Can I run with the video card out to eliminate the fan on that?
    > It's a Geforce 6600.
    > Don't think there's any way to disable the chipset fan or is there?
    > It's a Gigabyte m/b with Nvidia chipset.
    > Not sure about the PSU fan but I should be able to borrow another
    > PSU to test.

    Heat builds up very fast on a CPU without a fan. Most BIOSes these
    days will shutdown the PSU within a couple seconds if not immediately
    if they see the CPU fan is not spinning (or, more accurately, get a
    reported RPM from the CPU fan). If the case fans have been
    disconnected then you only have 4 fans left, maybe: CPU, chipset,
    video card, and PSU. You could disconnect the video and chipset fans
    and power up (just for 2 to 5 seconds) to see if it is the CPU fan.

    I haven't heard a fan "rattle". To rattle means the fan would have to
    be spinning very, very slowly. Because they typically spin at 1500
    RPM, or faster, even when slowed down by software/BIOS when the item
    is cool, the "rattle" would be a buzz sound. Did you check that no
    cables are hitting the fan blades?

    It is possible the rattle is an out-of-balance fan. Did you use an
    air can to blow off the blades, use a q-tip to scrub the stuck-on dust
    on the blades, and blow them off again (and repeat for both sides of
    the blades)? You should be able to clean the dust from the blades for
    all fans except for the PSU which might require dismantling the PSU,
    something you should not attempt unless you know how to take apart and
    put back together electronics and don't care about voiding any still
    existing warranty.

    VanguardLH, Oct 2, 2007
  5. Kenny

    Ron Martell Guest

    "Kenny" <> wrote:

    >Have ruled out the case fan, easy and safe to disconnect that.
    >Is it safe to run for a short time without the CPU fan? Will the on chip
    >protection be adequate for that? It's an Athlon XP3200.
    >Can I run with the video card out to eliminate the fan on that? It's a
    >Geforce 6600.
    >Don't think there's any way to disable the chipset fan or is there? It's a
    >Gigabyte m/b with Nvidia chipset.
    >Not sure about the PSU fan but I should be able to borrow another PSU to
    >test.

    Run the machine with the cover off and *all* fans connected.

    When the noise starts take a strip of soft plastic (small cable ties
    are ideal) or a narrow strip of stiff paper and gently touch the
    spinning hub of each fan in turn. Listen carefully for any change in
    the pitch and/or intensity of the noise. When that happens, you have
    found the culprit.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP (1997 - 2008)
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    has never been in bed with a mosquito."

    Ron Martell, Oct 2, 2007
  6. Kenny

    Kenny Guest

    Thanks for all the replies and tips, will try them out.

    --
    Kenny Cargill

    Kenny, Oct 2, 2007
  7. Kenny

    HEMI-Powered Guest

    Kenny added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...

    > Have ruled out the case fan, easy and safe to disconnect that.
    > Is it safe to run for a short time without the CPU fan? Will
    > the on chip protection be adequate for that? It's an Athlon
    > XP3200. Can I run with the video card out to eliminate the fan
    > on that? It's a Geforce 6600.
    > Don't think there's any way to disable the chipset fan or is
    > there? It's a Gigabyte m/b with Nvidia chipset.
    > Not sure about the PSU fan but I should be able to borrow
    > another PSU to test.

    Your CPU will overheat very quickly if you disconnect the fan, but
    if you just want to do a short-term check, that won't cause any
    problems. My CPU fan was dying but I didn't know it, I just knew
    that one of the 5 in my system was noisy as you report. I debugged
    mine by GENTLY using a finger to slow down each fan until I found
    the one making the racket. It very quickly pointed to the CPU in my
    case. If that's your problem, get it fixed ASAP. You don't want to
    risk damage to the chip or have your BIOS shut the PC down when it
    reaches its overheat threshold thus losing all your work in memory.

    --
    HP, aka Jerry

    HEMI-Powered, Oct 3, 2007