    get extra money after 10pm.(unsociable hours or something)
    The store told her no, it just depends who you work for.
    Surely that is not right?
    Annette Kurten, Aug 26, 2005

  2. Annette Kurten

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 23:49:41 +0000 (UTC), "Annette Kurten"
    <> wrote:

    >My daughter works for "GAME" in our local complex, she has been asked to
    >work from 4.30 pm until 02.30am (one day only). I told her that she would
    >get extra money after 10pm.(unsociable hours or something)
    >The store told her no, it just depends who you work for.
    >Surely that is not right?

    If you have something like the USA's EDD (Employment Development
    Department), give them a call or look on their website.

    I'm kind of thinking if GAME is a reputable store, they would know the
    laws.
    Evan Platt, Aug 26, 2005

  3. Annette Kurten

    Chas Guest

    "Annette Kurten" <> wrote in message
    > My daughter works for "GAME" in our local complex, she has been asked to
    > work from 4.30 pm until 02.30am (one day only). I told her that she would
    > get extra money after 10pm.(unsociable hours or something)
    > The store told her no, it just depends who you work for.
    > Surely that is not right?

    I'm afraid it is.

    Chas
    Chas, Aug 26, 2005
  4. Annette Kurten

    sam-i-am Guest

    Chas wrote:
    > "Annette Kurten" <> wrote in message
    > > My daughter works for "GAME" in our local complex, she has been asked to
    > > work from 4.30 pm until 02.30am (one day only). I told her that she would
    > > get extra money after 10pm.(unsociable hours or something)
    > > The store told her no, it just depends who you work for.
    > > Surely that is not right?
    > >

    > I'm afraid it is.
    >
    > Chas

    is this USA? she's working 10 hours a week. no overtime till over 40
    hours. although in CA there might be an 8 hr.per day rule, giving her 2
    hrs OT at 1.5; but they have changed that ruling back and forth a
    couple times and not sure where it stands now.
    sam-i-am, Aug 26, 2005
  5. Annette Kurten

    Chas Guest

    "sam-i-am" <> wrote in message

    > Chas wrote:
    >> "Annette Kurten" <> wrote in message
    >> > My daughter works for "GAME" in our local complex, she has been asked
    >> > work from 4.30 pm until 02.30am (one day only). I told her that she
    >> > would
    >> > get extra money after 10pm.(unsociable hours or something)
    >> > The store told her no, it just depends who you work for.
    >> > Surely that is not right?
    >> >

    >> I'm afraid it is.
    >>
    >> Chas

    > is this USA? she's working 10 hours a week. no overtime till over 40
    > hours. although in CA there might be an 8 hr.per day rule, giving her 2
    > hrs OT at 1.5; but they have changed that ruling back and forth a
    > couple times and not sure where it stands now.

    No this is the U/K

    chas
    Chas, Aug 26, 2005
  6. Annette Kurten

    Dave Lear Guest

    > My daughter works for "GAME" in our local complex, she has
    > been asked to work from 4.30 pm until 02.30am (one day only).
    > I told her that she would get extra money after 10pm.(unsociable
    > hours or something) The store told her no, it just depends who
    > you work for. Surely that is not right?

    Part-Time Workers - The Law and Best Practice
    http://www.dti.gov.uk/er/pt-detail.htm

    Working Time Regulations - Working At Night
    http://www.dti.gov.uk/er/work_time_regs/wtr3.htm

    According to the second article "Night time is between 11pm and 6am" and
    there are extra limits on how many night hours a 'young person' can be
    required to work, except in certain industries.
    Dave Lear, Aug 26, 2005
  7. Annette Kurten

    knackered Guest

    > My daughter works for "GAME" in our local complex, she has been asked to
    > work from 4.30 pm until 02.30am (one day only). I told her that she would
    > get extra money after 10pm.(unsociable hours or something)
    > The store told her no, it just depends who you work for.
    > Surely that is not right?

    I'm A frayed knot.
    There are a few laws, such as minimum wage etc,
    also "safety critical licensing" example being train-
    drivers have to have a set period between end of
    shift to start of next shift (10 hours) and how many
    hours actually spent driving etc etc.
    But there are any number of shift workers who are
    on the same hourly rate regardless of time of day.
    Her employment will not be "safety critical license"
    and depending upon her contract she has little redress.
    And there is nothing to compel an employer to pay
    overtime at anything above flat rate, unless agreed
    with a trade union. She should format and reinstall.
    knackered, Aug 26, 2005
  8. "knackered" <.> wrote in message

    > "Annette Kurten" <> wrote in message
    > > My daughter works for "GAME" in our local complex, she has been asked to
    > > work from 4.30 pm until 02.30am (one day only). I told her that she

    would
    > > get extra money after 10pm.(unsociable hours or something)
    > > The store told her no, it just depends who you work for.
    > > Surely that is not right?
    > >

    > I'm A frayed knot.
    > There are a few laws, such as minimum wage etc,
    > also "safety critical licensing" example being train-
    > drivers have to have a set period between end of
    > shift to start of next shift (10 hours) and how many
    > hours actually spent driving etc etc.
    > But there are any number of shift workers who are
    > on the same hourly rate regardless of time of day.
    > Her employment will not be "safety critical license"
    > and depending upon her contract she has little redress.
    > And there is nothing to compel an employer to pay
    > overtime at anything above flat rate, unless agreed
    > with a trade union. She should format and reinstall.

    Thanx all for the imfo A.K XX
    Annette Kurten, Aug 26, 2005