  1. I have a 802.11b router, settings at 11mbps, but when i copy a file to
    another computer it takes one hour to move 700MB!!!

    Any setting to change????

    =?Utf-8?B?SnVhblBhYmxvR2FsbGFyZG8=?=, May 28, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?SnVhblBhYmxvR2FsbGFyZG8=?=

    Jack Guest

    Hi
    If you need a frame of reference: http://www.ezlan.net/net_speed.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "JuanPabloGallardo" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    Jack, May 29, 2005

  3. Juan Pablo,

    This is not as easy of a problem as it may seem. You need to determine what
    is the capacity of the wireless link and then determine where the problem
    is. So, your link can copy 1 megabyte per second at top speed. Actual
    throughput is usually 3/4 of this. So, this is 0.75 megabytes per second.
    However, you wireless card can also connect to the access point at much
    lower rates, down to 0.125 megabytes per second (1 Mbps).

    A higher rate is not necesarrily better because at higher speeds there can
    be more errors, etc, if there is a lot of interference. Make sure that the
    channel you are using is not being used by another access point in your area
    (try a different channel, 3 channels away from your current one to get
    started) and make sure you are as close as possible to your access point.
    If these don't seem to help, try setting the speed of your wireless card to
    5 Mbps and see if you performance increases.

    Best of luck!
    --
    Brian Wehrle

    Software Test Engineer/Wireless Networking
    Microsoft Corp.

    Brian Wehrle [MSFT], Jun 3, 2005