Rate your ISP, how are the new plans going?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by MarkH, Jul 17, 2006.

  1. MarkH

    MarkH Guest

    It must be about time we had a report on the performance of the various
    ISPs.

    I am with Orcon on their Advanced 60 plan (3.5/512 60GB/Month $10/5GB
    overage)

    During the evenings it is often slower than at other times, but I still get
    pretty good speeds - usually about half of the 3.5 or better. If I
    download 2 files at once I can usually get better than 300kB/s between them
    and commonly over 400kB/s during offpeak times.

    Web browsing seems pretty fast and generally my internet experience is
    pretty good.

    Uploading to my website is very noticably faster with the 512 up.

    I don't play games, so I can't comment on latency.

    I do find the 60GB cap a hindrance and would prefer 100GB or more. I have
    to hold myself back, but still often end up paying $10 more as I edge past
    60GB.

    How are other Orcon customers finding them? How is the performance with the
    other ISPs?

    I am especially interested in how things are with the cheaper ISPs like
    Slingshot (are they still doing 50GB for $40?).

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade

    MarkH, Jul 17, 2006

  2. On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 22:52:50 GMT, MarkH <>
    magnanimously proffered:

    >It must be about time we had a report on the performance of the various
    >ISPs.
    >
    >I am with Orcon on their Advanced 60 plan (3.5/512 60GB/Month $10/5GB
    >overage)
    >
    >During the evenings it is often slower than at other times, but I still get
    >pretty good speeds - usually about half of the 3.5 or better. If I
    >download 2 files at once I can usually get better than 300kB/s between them
    >and commonly over 400kB/s during offpeak times.
    >
    >Web browsing seems pretty fast and generally my internet experience is
    >pretty good.
    >
    >Uploading to my website is very noticably faster with the 512 up.
    >
    >I don't play games, so I can't comment on latency.
    >
    >I do find the 60GB cap a hindrance and would prefer 100GB or more. I have
    >to hold myself back, but still often end up paying $10 more as I edge past
    >60GB.
    >
    >How are other Orcon customers finding them? How is the performance with the
    >other ISPs?
    >
    >I am especially interested in how things are with the cheaper ISPs like
    >Slingshot (are they still doing 50GB for $40?).

    How much do you pay for the plan you're on? I'm currently paying
    $49.49 p/m for a 5gig ADSL plan with Telecom. But I'm really having to
    reign myself in to stay within my allowance. 60gigs would be great!

    --

    A: Dunno, maybe it's because they're stupid.

    Q: Why do some people top post?

    A: Because they are REALLY STUPID!

    Q: Why do some people cross-post?

    Robert Feigel, Jul 18, 2006

  3. MarkH

    Mutlley Guest

    Robert Feigel <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 22:52:50 GMT, MarkH <>
    >magnanimously proffered:
    >
    >>It must be about time we had a report on the performance of the various
    >>ISPs.
    >>
    >>I am with Orcon on their Advanced 60 plan (3.5/512 60GB/Month $10/5GB
    >>overage)
    >>
    >>During the evenings it is often slower than at other times, but I still get
    >>pretty good speeds - usually about half of the 3.5 or better. If I
    >>download 2 files at once I can usually get better than 300kB/s between them
    >>and commonly over 400kB/s during offpeak times.
    >>
    >>Web browsing seems pretty fast and generally my internet experience is
    >>pretty good.
    >>
    >>Uploading to my website is very noticably faster with the 512 up.
    >>
    >>I don't play games, so I can't comment on latency.
    >>
    >>I do find the 60GB cap a hindrance and would prefer 100GB or more. I have
    >>to hold myself back, but still often end up paying $10 more as I edge past
    >>60GB.
    >>
    >>How are other Orcon customers finding them? How is the performance with the
    >>other ISPs?
    >>
    >>I am especially interested in how things are with the cheaper ISPs like
    >>Slingshot (are they still doing 50GB for $40?).

    >How much do you pay for the plan you're on? I'm currently paying
    >$49.49 p/m for a 5gig ADSL plan with Telecom. But I'm really having to
    >reign myself in to stay within my allowance. 60gigs would be great!

    He's currently paying about $159 WO tolls. I would like to go to
    their 3.5/128 - 10 gig for $59 WO tolls but the $10/5 gig puts me off
    considering before the great con of "Faster and Cheaper broadband"
    that it was $10 / 10 gig.. I'll stay on the 256/128-40gig plan in the
    mean time until ISPs sort out what they are going to do..

    Mutlley, Jul 18, 2006
  4. MarkH

    Chris Lim Guest

    MarkH wrote:
    > I am especially interested in how things are with the cheaper ISPs like
    > Slingshot (are they still doing 50GB for $40?).

    I'm with Slingshot. The last few days have been pretty slow, especially
    in the evenings. I just ran a speedtest at
    http://www.nzdsl.co.nz/module-Speedtest.phtml and I'm averaging abour
    200kbps down (I'm on a 3mbps plan!). No idea why it's so slow, I wonder
    if there's any point ringing the helpdesk..?

    Chris

    Chris Lim, Jul 18, 2006
  5. MarkH

    MarkH Guest

    "Chris Lim" <> wrote in news:1153219085.906102.234020
    @35g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

    > MarkH wrote:
    >> I am especially interested in how things are with the cheaper ISPs like
    >> Slingshot (are they still doing 50GB for $40?).

    > I'm with Slingshot. The last few days have been pretty slow, especially
    > in the evenings. I just ran a speedtest at
    > http://www.nzdsl.co.nz/module-Speedtest.phtml and I'm averaging abour
    > 200kbps down (I'm on a 3mbps plan!). No idea why it's so slow, I wonder
    > if there's any point ringing the helpdesk..?

    Is that an average of 200 in the evenings and full speed at other times?
    If so that doesn't sound too bad for what they charge.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade

    MarkH, Jul 18, 2006
  6. MarkH

    MarkH Guest

    Mutlley <> wrote in

    > Robert Feigel <> wrote:
    >
    >>How much do you pay for the plan you're on? I'm currently paying
    >>$49.49 p/m for a 5gig ADSL plan with Telecom. But I'm really having to
    >>reign myself in to stay within my allowance. 60gigs would be great!

    > He's currently paying about $159 WO tolls. I would like to go to
    > their 3.5/128 - 10 gig for $59 WO tolls but the $10/5 gig puts me off
    > considering before the great con of "Faster and Cheaper broadband"
    > that it was $10 / 10 gig.. I'll stay on the 256/128-40gig plan in the
    > mean time until ISPs sort out what they are going to do..

    Actually I have signed up for Orcon tolls and saved $10. We make very few
    toll calls here so it makes very little difference who they are charged
    through.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade

    MarkH, Jul 18, 2006
  7. MarkH

    Chris Lim Guest

    MarkH wrote:
    > Is that an average of 200 in the evenings and full speed at other times?
    > If so that doesn't sound too bad for what they charge.

    Well, I hadn't actually run any speed tests recently because things
    were okay (not what I would call full speed (3.5mbps), but I was
    getting 100KB/s downloading 4 torrents at a time, with enough bandwidth
    free to do http downloads at reasonable speeds so I was happy).

    It's just the last few days I've noticed it's realllly slow, but I'm
    hoping whatever it is will resolve itself soon. Running the tests again
    now gave me 500kbps, 200kbps, and 700kbps so it's a bit up and down.

    So I guess the answer is, normally they're pretty good, especially
    since their data rates are cheaper than the rest.

    Chris

    Chris Lim, Jul 18, 2006
  8. MarkH wrote:
    > "Chris Lim" <> wrote in news:1153219085.906102.234020
    > @35g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:
    >
    >> MarkH wrote:
    >>> I am especially interested in how things are with the cheaper ISPs like
    >>> Slingshot (are they still doing 50GB for $40?).

    >> I'm with Slingshot. The last few days have been pretty slow, especially
    >> in the evenings. I just ran a speedtest at
    >> http://www.nzdsl.co.nz/module-Speedtest.phtml and I'm averaging abour
    >> 200kbps down (I'm on a 3mbps plan!). No idea why it's so slow, I wonder
    >> if there's any point ringing the helpdesk..?

    > Is that an average of 200 in the evenings and full speed at other times?
    > If so that doesn't sound too bad for what they charge.

    200 kbps is shocking whatever plan you're on. But Chris, you should try
    www.jetstreamgames.co.nz/speed and try the 500KB download (I find I need
    to do a CTRL+REFRESH to get it to work a second time though), as I have
    found nzdsl to be extremely unreliable in comparison on at least one
    occasion i have tried that site. I have also noted their clock is
    innacurate (unless it's using GMT or something like that?). e.g. It's
    showing Jul 18, 2006 - 07:36 PM, when in fact currently in NZ the date
    and time is Jul 19, 2006 - 07:36 AM.

    Good luck.

    Komrade Klark, Jul 18, 2006
  9. MarkH

    bAZZ Guest

    Chris Lim wrote:
    > MarkH wrote:
    >> Is that an average of 200 in the evenings and full speed at other times?
    >> If so that doesn't sound too bad for what they charge.

    > Well, I hadn't actually run any speed tests recently because things
    > were okay (not what I would call full speed (3.5mbps), but I was
    > getting 100KB/s downloading 4 torrents at a time, with enough bandwidth
    > free to do http downloads at reasonable speeds so I was happy).
    >
    > It's just the last few days I've noticed it's realllly slow, but I'm
    > hoping whatever it is will resolve itself soon. Running the tests again
    > now gave me 500kbps, 200kbps, and 700kbps so it's a bit up and down.
    >
    > So I guess the answer is, normally they're pretty good, especially
    > since their data rates are cheaper than the rest.
    >
    > Chris

    Cool. Just singed up with em and connected in 8 days (and counting !).
    Be three weeks by time its on waiting.

    Looking forward to it and glad to hear they are OK.

    See Ya

    bAZZ .. >>
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If you try me, you'll buy me
    If you buy me, you'll use me
    If you use me, you'll abuse me
    If you abuse me, I'll own you.

    bAZZ, Jul 18, 2006
  10. MarkH

    Vista Guest

    "Chris Lim" <> wrote in message
    > MarkH wrote:
    >> I am especially interested in how things are with the cheaper ISPs like
    >> Slingshot (are they still doing 50GB for $40?).

    > I'm with Slingshot. The last few days have been pretty slow, especially
    > in the evenings. I just ran a speedtest at
    > http://www.nzdsl.co.nz/module-Speedtest.phtml and I'm averaging abour
    > 200kbps down (I'm on a 3mbps plan!). No idea why it's so slow, I wonder
    > if there's any point ringing the helpdesk..?
    >
    > Chris

    You should switch to their 2mb plan and then add additional bandwith. It
    works out cheaper for me as I am too far from the exchange to get the fast
    speeds anyway.

    Vista, Jul 19, 2006
  11. MarkH

    Chris Lim Guest

    Komrade Klark wrote:
    > 200 kbps is shocking whatever plan you're on. But Chris, you should try
    > www.jetstreamgames.co.nz/speed and try the 500KB download (I find I need
    > to do a CTRL+REFRESH to get it to work a second time though), as I have
    > found nzdsl to be extremely unreliable in comparison on at least one

    Hmmm, massively different results with the jetstreamgames one. Using
    the 9mb file, I get pretty much full speed (over 300KB/s).

    I went back to the speedtest on nzdsl and got 14KB/s down and 15KB/s
    up, which is pretty indicative of the general speed I'm experiencing at
    the moment (i.e. slow!).

    What could be causing this difference? And my slow speeds?

    Chris Lim, Jul 19, 2006

  12. >
    > What could be causing this difference? And my slow speeds?

    Its may depend on which may the data is going to both sites and callplus may
    have latency one way . Do a traceroute/mtr/pathping to both sites

    Thanks
    Craig

    Craig Whitmore, Jul 19, 2006
  13. MarkH

    Chris Lim Guest

    Craig Whitmore wrote:
    > Its may depend on which may the data is going to both sites and callplus may
    > have latency one way . Do a traceroute/mtr/pathping to both sites

    Traceroute's below. Just did another speedtest on your site. Took
    forever to complete, and I got 5.9KB/s down and 16.3KB/s up. Looks
    like my upload speeds are fine, but downloads are screwed.

    Having said that, I just downloaded a file from www.download.com and
    got around 100KB/s. I'm confused.

    Chris

    Tracing route to master.jetstreamgames.co.nz [203.96.91.1]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

    1 58 ms 54 ms 53 ms 192.168.1.254
    2 55 ms 58 ms 56 ms cpiak1-l3.tranzpeer.net [202.180.80.69]
    3 57 ms 61 ms 59 ms 202-180-95-13.callplus.net.nz
    [202.180.95.13]
    4 62 ms 58 ms 74 ms 202.180.64.73
    5 61 ms 56 ms 76 ms
    at-0-2-1-200.akcr8.global-gateway.net.nz [202.50
    ..116.197]
    6 61 ms 70 ms 72 ms v4.aksw7.global-gateway.net.nz
    [210.55.202.51]
    7 65 ms 59 ms 60 ms xtra-dom-2.aksw7.global-gateway.net.nz
    [203.96.1
    20.150]
    8 63 ms 61 ms 68 ms master.jetstreamgames.co.nz
    [203.96.91.1]

    Tracing route to www.nzdsl.co.nz [219.88.240.130]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

    1 54 ms 54 ms 52 ms 192.168.1.254
    2 58 ms 56 ms 59 ms cpiak1-l3.tranzpeer.net [202.180.80.69]
    3 56 ms 59 ms 59 ms 202-180-95-13.callplus.net.nz
    [202.180.95.13]
    4 70 ms 78 ms 73 ms orcon2.ape.net.nz [192.203.154.67]
    5 88 ms 69 ms 70 ms 60.234.9.3
    6 78 ms 68 ms 70 ms ip-219-88-240-130.orcon.net.nz
    [219.88.240.130]

    Chris Lim, Jul 19, 2006
  14. Can you please do a pathping (windows) to www.nzdsl.co.nz.. (or mtr (unix))
    as from www.nzdsl.co.nz to your ip address I get packet loss on some hops on
    in callplus's network

    1 60.234.4.33 (60.234.4.33) 30 ms 3 ms 1 ms
    2 60.234.9.8 (60.234.9.8) 1 ms 0 ms 0 ms
    3 60.234.11.6 (60.234.11.6) 12 ms 12 ms 12 ms
    4 callplus1.wix.net.nz (202.7.1.161) 11 ms 17 ms 19 ms

    between these 2 I start to get packet loss starting about 5%

    5 f0-0.5.cpiak1-r1.tranzpeer.net (202.180.64.71) 23 ms (TOS=8!) 41 ms 34
    ms
    6 202-180-95-6.callplus.net.nz (202.180.95.6)
    7 7. 124-197-8-234.callplus.net.nz (124.198.8.24)

    Craig Whitmore, Jul 19, 2006
  15. MarkH

    Chris Lim Guest

    Craig Whitmore wrote:
    > Can you please do a pathping (windows) to www.nzdsl.co.nz.. (or mtr (unix))
    > as from www.nzdsl.co.nz to your ip address I get packet loss on some hops on
    > in callplus's network

    Results below (hope the formatting isn't screwed up). I did have
    uTorrent running earlier, which totally slows things down so I don't
    know if the packet loss has anything to do with that....? I stopped
    uTorrent before I ran the pathping though.

    Chris

    Tracing route to www.nzdsl.co.nz [219.88.240.130]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:
    0 chris-wd [192.168.1.100]
    1 192.168.1.254
    2 cpiak1-l3.tranzpeer.net [202.180.80.69]
    3 202-180-95-13.callplus.net.nz [202.180.95.13]
    4 orcon2.ape.net.nz [192.203.154.67]
    5 60.234.9.3
    6 ip-219-88-240-130.orcon.net.nz [219.88.240.130]

    Computing statistics for 150 seconds...
    Source to Here This Node/Link
    Hop RTT Lost/Sent = Pct Lost/Sent = Pct Address
    0 chris-wd [192.168.1.100]
    0/ 100 = 0% |
    1 0ms 0/ 100 = 0% 0/ 100 = 0% 192.168.1.254
    0/ 100 = 0% |
    2 57ms 0/ 100 = 0% 0/ 100 = 0% cpiak1-l3.tranzpeer.net
    [202.180.80.69]
    0/ 100 = 0% |
    3 70ms 0/ 100 = 0% 0/ 100 = 0%
    202-180-95-13.callplus.net.nz [202.180.95.13]
    2/ 100 = 2% |
    4 72ms 4/ 100 = 4% 2/ 100 = 2% orcon2.ape.net.nz
    [192.203.154.67]

    0/ 100 = 0% |
    5 73ms 2/ 100 = 2% 0/ 100 = 0% 60.234.9.3
    0/ 100 = 0% |
    6 72ms 2/ 100 = 2% 0/ 100 = 0%
    ip-219-88-240-130.orcon.net.nz [219.88.240.130]

    Trace complete.

    Chris Lim, Jul 19, 2006
  16. I've got some other people to do some tests and it looks like a problem
    (maybe) their their link from callplus -> APE is overloaded 1 way.

    You might want to copy all the traces and forward them to callplus to
    investigate. Its not just from Orcon.. From other ISP's (on APE) are getting
    packet loss as well to your IP Address.

    As going to jetstreamgames doesn't go via APE.. thats why you are seeing
    good speeds maybe only ip addresses going via APE are bad...

    Thanks
    Craig

    Craig Whitmore, Jul 19, 2006
  17. MarkH

    SchoolTech Guest

    MarkH wrote:
    > It must be about time we had a report on the performance of the various
    > ISPs.
    >
    > I am with Orcon on their Advanced 60 plan (3.5/512 60GB/Month $10/5GB
    > overage)
    >
    > During the evenings it is often slower than at other times, but I still get
    > pretty good speeds - usually about half of the 3.5 or better. If I
    > download 2 files at once I can usually get better than 300kB/s between them
    > and commonly over 400kB/s during offpeak times.
    >
    > Web browsing seems pretty fast and generally my internet experience is
    > pretty good.
    >
    > Uploading to my website is very noticably faster with the 512 up.
    >
    > I don't play games, so I can't comment on latency.
    >
    > I do find the 60GB cap a hindrance and would prefer 100GB or more. I have
    > to hold myself back, but still often end up paying $10 more as I edge past
    > 60GB.
    >
    > How are other Orcon customers finding them? How is the performance with the
    > other ISPs?
    >
    > I am especially interested in how things are with the cheaper ISPs like
    > Slingshot (are they still doing 50GB for $40?).

    Prices have been dropped with Telstraclear Paradise cable customers. We
    were going to change around November and were offered 10GB for $149, can
    get the same thing now for $79, or 40GB for $144. Download/upload speeds
    are faster too.

    SchoolTech, Jul 20, 2006
  18. MarkH

    Chris Lim Guest

    Craig Whitmore wrote:
    > I've got some other people to do some tests and it looks like a problem
    > (maybe) their their link from callplus -> APE is overloaded 1 way.
    >
    > You might want to copy all the traces and forward them to callplus to
    > investigate. Its not just from Orcon.. From other ISP's (on APE) are getting
    > packet loss as well to your IP Address.

    I just got off the phone with their helpdesk. They gave me the usual
    spiel about how bad broadband is in NZ etc and that there was nothing
    they could do. Suggested I contact Telecom to see if there was a
    problem with my line.

    I ran speedtest while I was on the phone to them too, got a whopping
    7.5KB/s down, 15KB/s up, but still nothing they could do. Sigh...

    Chris Lim, Jul 20, 2006

  19. >
    > I just got off the phone with their helpdesk. They gave me the usual
    > spiel about how bad broadband is in NZ etc and that there was nothing
    > they could do. Suggested I contact Telecom to see if there was a
    > problem with my line.
    >
    > I ran speedtest while I was on the phone to them too, got a whopping
    > 7.5KB/s down, 15KB/s up, but still nothing they could do. Sigh...

    The packet loss is not on the Broadband Part of the connection between you
    and nzdsl.co.nz (in their network as far as I can tell and to other ISP's
    connected to APE as well)

    I would ask them to look at the posts here or to copy/paste and email them.
    I would ask them to
    take it further up to the technical people .

    Thanks

    Craig Whitmore, Jul 20, 2006