    Many Thanks in Advance

    Simon.

    , Oct 29, 2008

  2. Darren Green Guest

    wrote:
    > Hi All
    >
    > My company has a 12Mbps LES Circuit internet link. We are starting to
    > provide video conferences over the internet using the 12Mbps link.
    > What I
    > would like to do is by using rate limiting is guarantee say 3Mbps
    > MAX
    > Bandwidth to video conferences which would mean all other internet
    > traffic
    > would be restricted to 9Mbps I persume using access-lists in the rate-
    > limit
    > command is required, but can I set up all the rate-limit commands on
    > the
    > one interface.
    >
    > Many Thanks in Advance
    >
    > Simon.

    Hi Simon,

    I was interested in you post as I was not too familiar with the rate
    limiting command. A quick Google returned up a similar post:

    http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=1178270&page=1

    Explained it well enough for me, hope it helps.

    I wouldn't have necessarily done it this way, although rate-limiting
    seems very straightforward. As with all things you may be able to
    achieve the same end result a matter of different ways. For example,
    priority lists:

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_1/qos/configuration/guide/qcdpq.html

    and Cisco Modular QoS framework where you can classify, mark, police,
    shape etc.

    Note some of these features may only be supported inbound and others
    outbound. I must say though if it is simplicity you are after,
    rate-limiting may be just the ticket as it seems that you can do both.
    One has to remember though that unless your upstream provider is
    guaranteeing / differentiating your traffic as it traverses their
    network, your traffic control starts & ends at your router.

    Regards

    Darren

    Darren Green, Oct 29, 2008

  3. Stephen Guest

    On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 10:33:49 -0700 (PDT), ""
    <> wrote:

    >Hi All
    >
    >My company has a 12Mbps LES Circuit internet link. We are starting to
    >provide video conferences over the internet using the 12Mbps link.
    >What I
    >would like to do is by using rate limiting is guarantee say 3Mbps
    >MAX
    >Bandwidth to video conferences which would mean all other internet
    >traffic
    >would be restricted to 9Mbps I persume using access-lists in the rate-
    >limit
    >command is required, but can I set up all the rate-limit commands on
    >the
    >one interface.

    no, or not sufficient - as this only affects outgoing traffic.

    rate limiting only affects your outbound traffic, but doesnt control
    what comes in.

    i suggest you ask the supplier if there is anything they can do at
    their end to give a priority & limiting to your video conf stuff.....

    they may be able to control traffic based on IP address if you can use
    different addresses for video conf traffic and other stuff.

    --
    Regards

    - replace xyz with ntl

    Stephen, Oct 29, 2008
  4. bod43 Guest

    On 29 Oct, 22:32, Stephen <> wrote:
    > On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 10:33:49 -0700 (PDT), ""
    >
    > <> wrote:
    > >Hi All

    > >My company has a 12Mbps LES Circuit internet link. We are starting to
    > >provide video conferences over the internet using the 12Mbps link.
    > >What I
    > >would like to do is by using rate limiting is  guarantee say 3Mbps
    > >MAX
    > >Bandwidth to video conferences which would mean all other internet
    > >traffic
    > >would be restricted to 9Mbps  I persume using access-lists in the rate-
    > >limit
    > >command is required, but can I set up all the rate-limit  commands on
    > >the
    > >one interface.

    > no, or not sufficient - as this only affects outgoing traffic.
    >
    > rate limiting only affects your outbound traffic, but doesnt control
    > what comes in.
    >
    > i suggest you ask the supplier if there is anything they can do at
    > their end to give a priority & limiting to your video conf stuff.....
    >
    > they may be able to control traffic based on IP address if you can use
    > different addresses for video conf traffic and other stuff.
    >
    > >Many Thanks in Advance

    You dont say which platform you are considering?

    For a software router (i.e. not a switch) -

    Firstly the router needs to be able to identify the traffic.
    Mostly an access list will do. Consider NBAR if needed.

    For outbound traffic:-
    You can use the simple interface rate-limit command.
    (config-if)#rate-limit input access-group .....
    An example without an ACL
    rate-limit output 32000 2000 2000 conform-action
    transmit exceed-action drop

    Alternatively if you use Low Latency Queuing
    you will be able to keep you 12M internet link
    when there is no Video conf and allow the
    VC traffic priority when it is present.
    You can also set the dscp field in the traffic
    since one day some ISPs may support it.
    Maybe they do today?

    For inbound traffic.
    As already stated you cannot affect inbound traffic.
    UNLESS that is it is TCP or other blockwise
    acknowledged traffic.

    Since by far the majority of Internet traffic IS TCP then
    you can affect it - if your usage is typical.

    One caveat is that I have made this all up
    myself and it is not from any recognised authority
    however I have deployed it in real networks and it
    seems to work.

    Just apply the same traffic controls on the
    inside interface for inbound internet traffic as you did
    on the outside for outbound traffic. I use slightly
    more conservative rates say allow 4M for the video.

    What happens is that when the non video traffic
    exceed its quota one or more packets get dropped.
    This *sends a message* to the sending TCP
    which reduces its sending rate.
    By send a message I really mean this literally.
    This is *exactly* how TCP works. The loss of a packet
    is eventualy noticed by the sender which acts
    on the information.

    I have noticed that the rate-limit input command
    can be entered on an interface.

    rate-limit input 20000 3000 3000 conform-action
    transmit exceed-action transmit
    Not sure if this works.

    Good luck.

    bod43, Oct 30, 2008
  5. nikiiroger

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2013
    Messages:
    1
    Webcasting service provider

    Vmukti is the Live Webcast Software Service Provider in Ahmedabad, Mumbai,Delhi,Bangalore,chennai India. Webcast services helps you to product launches, conferences, seminars, and online events on the web and also on leading mobile devices.

    nikiiroger, Sep 11, 2013