Rare problem

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by philo, Aug 23, 2007.

  1. philo

    philo Guest

    I'm working on a Compaq Presario AMD 2400. (XP home)
    the owner said it BSOD'ed on her and would not boot back to the OS.

    On the bench it runs fine but running chkdsk (audit only mode from within
    the OS) always finds errors...
    and it's usually different each time.
    However running chkdsk /f *never* finds an error.

    I've only seen this once before and after tying everything...
    ended up "fixing" the problem by slightly underclocking the machine...

    Well this one is a no go.

    Underclocked to 1400 mhz, tried different ram ,bigger PSU, new data cable.
    ran mfg's HD diagnostic and several RAM tests.
    Even turned off hibernation, syst. restore and cleared intnet cache etc.
    No luck.
    Though the mahcine has not once BSOD'ed on me I don't trust it.

    Think I'll tell her to keep her data backed up and if it BSOD's again to get
    a new machine.

    Any thing I missed?

    philo, Aug 23, 2007

  2. philo

    Cub Guest

    "philo" <> wrote in message
    > I'm working on a Compaq Presario AMD 2400. (XP home)
    > the owner said it BSOD'ed on her and would not boot back to the OS.
    >
    > On the bench it runs fine but running chkdsk (audit only mode from within
    > the OS) always finds errors...
    > and it's usually different each time.
    > However running chkdsk /f *never* finds an error.
    >
    > I've only seen this once before and after tying everything...
    > ended up "fixing" the problem by slightly underclocking the machine...
    >
    > Well this one is a no go.
    >
    > Underclocked to 1400 mhz, tried different ram ,bigger PSU, new data cable.
    > ran mfg's HD diagnostic and several RAM tests.
    > Even turned off hibernation, syst. restore and cleared intnet cache etc.
    > No luck.
    > Though the mahcine has not once BSOD'ed on me I don't trust it.
    >
    > Think I'll tell her to keep her data backed up and if it BSOD's again to
    > get
    > a new machine.
    >
    > Any thing I missed?

    Anything you have missed ! , change the HDD ghost the image on to the new
    one , give it back to her to test for a few days if it fixes it you have
    save her loosing ALL her data , if not put the old disk back in.

    Always check the firmware on all components Compaq are prety good at
    supplying them update bios etc

    BTW what are the errors ? what is in the event log ? (sure XP home has one)

    Regards

    Cub, Aug 23, 2007

  3. philo

    philo Guest

    > > Any thing I missed?
    > >

    > Anything you have missed ! , change the HDD ghost the image on to the new
    > one , give it back to her to test for a few days if it fixes it you have
    > save her loosing ALL her data , if not put the old disk back in.
    >
    > Always check the firmware on all components Compaq are prety good at
    > supplying them update bios etc
    >
    > BTW what are the errors ? what is in the event log ? (sure XP home has

    one)

    > Regards

    The only thing I have not tried is a new HD>>>
    I suppose I could do that but I don't think it's defective.
    It got a clean bill of health from the mfg's diagnostic and runing chkdks /f
    never finds any errors...
    it's simply the problems found during the audit mode.

    There is nothing of significance in even viewer.

    I'll have the machine for several more days so I should have time to pop in
    a new drive and perform a fresh install.

    thanks for the reply

    philo, Aug 23, 2007
  4. philo wrote:

    > The only thing I have not tried is a new HD>>>
    > I suppose I could do that but I don't think it's defective.
    > It got a clean bill of health from the mfg's diagnostic and runing chkdks
    > /f never finds any errors...
    > it's simply the problems found during the audit mode.

    Running chkdsk from the OS always will find some errors, because file
    allocation tables and content are never fully consistent while files are
    open and written. You should really get a bootable diagnosis cd like hirens
    bootcd or winpe, and check with that one.

    wisdomkiller & pain, Aug 23, 2007
  5. philo

    philo Guest

    "wisdomkiller & pain" <> wrote in
    message news:...
    > philo wrote:

    > > The only thing I have not tried is a new HD>>>
    > > I suppose I could do that but I don't think it's defective.
    > > It got a clean bill of health from the mfg's diagnostic and runing

    chkdks
    > > /f never finds any errors...
    > > it's simply the problems found during the audit mode.
    > >

    > Running chkdsk from the OS always will find some errors, because file
    > allocation tables and content are never fully consistent while files are
    > open and written.

    Though that's true, I.m sure...I have tried CHKDSK on other XP systems and
    have seen no errors

    <You should really get a bootable diagnosis cd like hirens
    > bootcd or winpe, and check with that one.

    I can easily slave the drive to another machine and try chkdsk...

    Anyway I'm still going to fool around with it

    philo, Aug 23, 2007
  6. philo

    Cub Guest

    "philo" <> wrote in message

    >> > Any thing I missed?
    >> >

    >> Anything you have missed ! , change the HDD ghost the image on to the new
    >> one , give it back to her to test for a few days if it fixes it you have
    >> save her loosing ALL her data , if not put the old disk back in.
    >>
    >> Always check the firmware on all components Compaq are prety good at
    >> supplying them update bios etc
    >>
    >> BTW what are the errors ? what is in the event log ? (sure XP home has

    > one)
    >>
    >> Regards
    >>

    > The only thing I have not tried is a new HD>>>
    > I suppose I could do that but I don't think it's defective.
    > It got a clean bill of health from the mfg's diagnostic and runing chkdks
    > /f
    > never finds any errors...
    > it's simply the problems found during the audit mode.
    >
    > There is nothing of significance in even viewer.
    >
    > I'll have the machine for several more days so I should have time to pop
    > in
    > a new drive and perform a fresh install.
    >
    > thanks for the reply

    Basically when a problem is undefined the only way forward is elimination of
    components , to fully test a disk you need multiple passes of ideally R/W
    seek tests , diags can be single passes and rely on block being tested
    failing at the time of test.and so won't always catch an intermittent fault

    Cub, Aug 24, 2007