    http://www.chicagotribune.com/

    online edition Chicago Tribune title page 1 Feb 2006 Palwaukee Municipal
    Airport area. Captured by security camera.

    applebun, Feb 1, 2006

  2. applebun

    Pat Guest

    I'm not sure that it's on-topic for this group, but it's pretty
    incredible none-the-less. And it proves that Big Brother is watching
    you everywhere.

    Pat, Feb 1, 2006

  3. applebun

    rafe b Guest

    "Pat" <> wrote in message
    > I'm not sure that it's on-topic for this group, but it's pretty
    > incredible none-the-less. And it proves that Big Brother is watching
    > you everywhere.

    Even as you die. Very comforting.

    rafe b
    www.terrapinphoto.com

    rafe b, Feb 1, 2006
  4. applebun

    poddys Guest

    I have a whole album of photos taken by my grandfather who was on a
    minesweeper in WWI. One page of photos that I scanned in a couple of
    months ago shows a biplane flying low over the sea. It was only when I
    scanned the set of 4 photos (very small 4 to a page in the album) into
    the computer and blew them up that I could see it showed the plane
    ditching in the sea and the pilot being rescued by the ship crew in a
    row boat. Pretty cool I thought.

    The picture quality is poor - this was taken probably 1916-1918 and the
    photo I scanned is less than 2"x2". The file size is around 800k - I
    haven't done any work on it since the original scan. The link is
    http://paynefamilyonline.com/FamilyScans/unfiled/scan_0304.JPG if you
    are interested in taking a look.
    Most of the rest of the site is old family photos from England from
    1910 onwards, plus some scanned documents of my grandfathers naval
    career in WWI - http://paynefamilyonline.com/FamilyScans/ if you have
    an interest in browsing.

    I would be interested in any feedback on how to improve the picture
    quality. I scanned at 400dpi, which given the quality and size of the
    originals I thought to be ok.

    poddys, Feb 1, 2006
  5. applebun

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On 1 Feb 2006 07:49:15 -0800, "poddys" <> wrote:

    >Most of the rest of the site is old family photos from England from
    >1910 onwards, plus some scanned documents of my grandfathers naval
    >career in WWI - http://paynefamilyonline.com/FamilyScans/ if you have
    >an interest in browsing.

    We live in an age of identity theft. Yet you put an image of a valid
    driver's license online. You got to think about what you post, man.

    --

    Tony Cooper
    Orlando, FL

    Tony Cooper, Feb 1, 2006
  6. applebun

    Battleax Guest

    "poddys" <> wrote in message
    >I have a whole album of photos taken by my grandfather who was on a
    > minesweeper in WWI. One page of photos that I scanned in a couple of
    > months ago shows a biplane flying low over the sea. It was only when I
    > scanned the set of 4 photos (very small 4 to a page in the album) into
    > the computer and blew them up that I could see it showed the plane
    > ditching in the sea and the pilot being rescued by the ship crew in a
    > row boat. Pretty cool I thought.
    >
    > The picture quality is poor - this was taken probably 1916-1918 and the
    > photo I scanned is less than 2"x2". The file size is around 800k - I
    > haven't done any work on it since the original scan. The link is
    > http://paynefamilyonline.com/FamilyScans/unfiled/scan_0304.JPG if you
    > are interested in taking a look.
    > Most of the rest of the site is old family photos from England from
    > 1910 onwards, plus some scanned documents of my grandfathers naval
    > career in WWI - http://paynefamilyonline.com/FamilyScans/ if you have
    > an interest in browsing.
    >
    > I would be interested in any feedback on how to improve the picture
    > quality. I scanned at 400dpi, which given the quality and size of the
    > originals I thought to be ok.

    You have a pic of someone's driver's licence posted on the internet. This is
    a BAD BAD BAD idea.

    Battleax, Feb 1, 2006
  7. applebun

    poddys Guest

    It's a picture that was used to test photo editing software - most of
    the information on the drivers license is fake.

    poddys, Feb 1, 2006
  8. "poddys" <> writes:

    > I have a whole album of photos taken by my grandfather who was on a
    > minesweeper in WWI. One page of photos that I scanned in a couple of
    > months ago shows a biplane flying low over the sea. It was only when I
    > scanned the set of 4 photos (very small 4 to a page in the album) into
    > the computer and blew them up that I could see it showed the plane
    > ditching in the sea and the pilot being rescued by the ship crew in a
    > row boat. Pretty cool I thought.
    >
    > The picture quality is poor - this was taken probably 1916-1918 and the
    > photo I scanned is less than 2"x2". The file size is around 800k - I
    > haven't done any work on it since the original scan. The link is
    > http://paynefamilyonline.com/FamilyScans/unfiled/scan_0304.JPG if you
    > are interested in taking a look.

    It looks as if parts of the page weren't quite touching the glass in
    the scanner.

    --
    Måns Rullgård

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?M=E5ns_Rullg=E5rd?=, Feb 1, 2006
  9. applebun

    poddys Guest

    It was hard to scan - there are 4 small prints per page, and they are
    glued in - cannot remove them. Since the album is very old (the photos
    are from 1916-1918 period) I didn't want to ruin the album to scan the
    photos in. I can always try again with the lid open and press down on
    the page.

    poddys, Feb 1, 2006
  10. In article <>,
    "poddys" <> wrote:

    > It was hard to scan - there are 4 small prints per page, and they are
    > glued in - cannot remove them. Since the album is very old (the photos
    > are from 1916-1918 period) I didn't want to ruin the album to scan the
    > photos in. I can always try again with the lid open and press down on
    > the page.

    It may be better to gently press a small sheet of glass over the photos
    to flatten them, then photograph them with a digital camera. Hold
    something black to kill any reflections in the glass itself.

    --
    Dibley

    Dibley Fanshaw, Feb 2, 2006
  11. applebun

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On 1 Feb 2006 12:03:52 -0800, "poddys" <> wrote:

    >It was hard to scan - there are 4 small prints per page, and they are
    >glued in - cannot remove them. Since the album is very old (the photos
    >are from 1916-1918 period) I didn't want to ruin the album to scan the
    >photos in. I can always try again with the lid open and press down on
    >the page.

    I'm working on a scanning project involving B&W photos glued onto
    black album pages. I set the scanner to scan each picture
    individually. In your case, I'd be making four scans of each page. I
    then work on each image separately in Photoshop. I'm sure you would
    get better results this way no matter what program you use to adjust
    the images.

    Even if your scanner only scans a complete page (which I doubt), you
    can crop to each image and work on it separately.

    --

    Tony Cooper
    Orlando, FL

    Tony Cooper, Feb 2, 2006
  12. "rafe b" <> wrote in news:Q-adnRnwz7NgVX3eRVn-
    :

    > "Pat" <> wrote in message
    >> I'm not sure that it's on-topic for this group, but it's pretty
    >> incredible none-the-less. And it proves that Big Brother is watching
    >> you everywhere.

    Looks like an equipment storage yard. The owners aren't allowed to keep an
    eye on their property?

    > Even as you die. Very comforting.

    Disturbing as these kinds of videos are, the poor souls aboard would have
    died whether or not it was recorded. Many times, video and photos of plane
    crashes have helped reveal the cause, sometimes leading to changes in design
    or operation that saves lives in the future.

    Bob Harrington, Feb 2, 2006
  13. applebun

    poddys Guest

    Thanks Tony,
    Yes I can select which part of the page to scan - does it make a
    difference as to the quality? I admit to having scanned these pages in
    one hit purely to save time - I am going to edit them later and to
    split them - I just had a full album to scan and not a lot of time.

    I'm going to dig the album out again and to see if I can improve the
    scanning quality. There are 4 photos on a page that is barely letter
    size, so they are really small and less than perfect. But this set
    does tell a story. Most of the rest of the album contains photos
    showing various activities on board the minesweeper. I also found
    another album I don't remember seeing before, but after I had already
    packed up the scanner (moved apartment). Most of the photos in this
    one are faded too heavily to repair I think, but equally interesting
    showing life in the RNR (Royal Navy Reserve) in WWI. A project for me
    to work on...

    poddys, Feb 2, 2006
  14. applebun

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On 2 Feb 2006 05:33:57 -0800, "poddys" <> wrote:

    >Thanks Tony,
    >Yes I can select which part of the page to scan - does it make a
    >difference as to the quality?

    No, but it does allow you adjust each photo individually. The pages
    I'm scanning have some of the old B&W pictures that are very small,
    but I scan them at 600 dpi and get pretty good results after working
    with them.

    --

    Tony Cooper
    Orlando, FL

    Tony Cooper, Feb 2, 2006
  15. applebun

    Stewy Guest

    In article <>,
    "poddys" <> wrote:

    > Thanks Tony,
    > Yes I can select which part of the page to scan - does it make a
    > difference as to the quality? I admit to having scanned these pages in
    > one hit purely to save time - I am going to edit them later and to
    > split them - I just had a full album to scan and not a lot of time.
    >
    > I'm going to dig the album out again and to see if I can improve the
    > scanning quality. There are 4 photos on a page that is barely letter
    > size, so they are really small and less than perfect. But this set
    > does tell a story. Most of the rest of the album contains photos
    > showing various activities on board the minesweeper. I also found
    > another album I don't remember seeing before, but after I had already
    > packed up the scanner (moved apartment). Most of the photos in this
    > one are faded too heavily to repair I think, but equally interesting
    > showing life in the RNR (Royal Navy Reserve) in WWI. A project for me
    > to work on...

    Multiple scanning is much quicker than individual. You can always use
    the Photoshop or PSP 'Duplicate' option afterwards to rotate/crop each
    picture. A little bit of fiddling with Photoshop can often improve old
    photos enough to 'enlarge' to A4.

    Stewy, Feb 3, 2006
  16. applebun

    Ron Hunter Guest

    poddys wrote:
    > Thanks Tony,
    > Yes I can select which part of the page to scan - does it make a
    > difference as to the quality? I admit to having scanned these pages in
    > one hit purely to save time - I am going to edit them later and to
    > split them - I just had a full album to scan and not a lot of time.
    >
    > I'm going to dig the album out again and to see if I can improve the
    > scanning quality. There are 4 photos on a page that is barely letter
    > size, so they are really small and less than perfect. But this set
    > does tell a story. Most of the rest of the album contains photos
    > showing various activities on board the minesweeper. I also found
    > another album I don't remember seeing before, but after I had already
    > packed up the scanner (moved apartment). Most of the photos in this
    > one are faded too heavily to repair I think, but equally interesting
    > showing life in the RNR (Royal Navy Reserve) in WWI. A project for me
    > to work on...

    Yes, at least on MY scanner. Scanning several pictures at once often
    results in uneven results. Scanning each one by one often produces
    better results, at the expense of time.

    Ron Hunter, Feb 3, 2006
  17. applebun

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 12:17:29 +0900, Stewy <>
    wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > "poddys" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks Tony,
    >> Yes I can select which part of the page to scan - does it make a
    >> difference as to the quality? I admit to having scanned these pages in
    >> one hit purely to save time - I am going to edit them later and to
    >> split them - I just had a full album to scan and not a lot of time.
    >>
    >> I'm going to dig the album out again and to see if I can improve the
    >> scanning quality. There are 4 photos on a page that is barely letter
    >> size, so they are really small and less than perfect. But this set
    >> does tell a story. Most of the rest of the album contains photos
    >> showing various activities on board the minesweeper. I also found
    >> another album I don't remember seeing before, but after I had already
    >> packed up the scanner (moved apartment). Most of the photos in this
    >> one are faded too heavily to repair I think, but equally interesting
    >> showing life in the RNR (Royal Navy Reserve) in WWI. A project for me
    >> to work on...

    >Multiple scanning is much quicker than individual. You can always use
    >the Photoshop or PSP 'Duplicate' option afterwards to rotate/crop each
    >picture.

    Six of one and half-a-dozen of the other. I just move the selected
    area around in the scanner's Preview screen and make four separate
    images rather than one image and crop out for four.

    Tony Cooper, Feb 3, 2006
  18. applebun

    John H Guest

    On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 16:17:58 GMT, Tony Cooper
    <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 12:17:29 +0900, Stewy <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>In article <>,
    >> "poddys" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Thanks Tony,
    >>> Yes I can select which part of the page to scan - does it make a
    >>> difference as to the quality? I admit to having scanned these pages in
    >>> one hit purely to save time - I am going to edit them later and to
    >>> split them - I just had a full album to scan and not a lot of time.
    >>>
    >>> I'm going to dig the album out again and to see if I can improve the
    >>> scanning quality. There are 4 photos on a page that is barely letter
    >>> size, so they are really small and less than perfect. But this set
    >>> does tell a story. Most of the rest of the album contains photos
    >>> showing various activities on board the minesweeper. I also found
    >>> another album I don't remember seeing before, but after I had already
    >>> packed up the scanner (moved apartment). Most of the photos in this
    >>> one are faded too heavily to repair I think, but equally interesting
    >>> showing life in the RNR (Royal Navy Reserve) in WWI. A project for me
    >>> to work on...

    >>Multiple scanning is much quicker than individual. You can always use
    >>the Photoshop or PSP 'Duplicate' option afterwards to rotate/crop each
    >>picture.

    >Six of one and half-a-dozen of the other. I just move the selected
    >area around in the scanner's Preview screen and make four separate
    >images rather than one image and crop out for four.
    >
    >>A little bit of fiddling with Photoshop can often improve old
    >>photos enough to 'enlarge' to A4.

    Bear in mind that if any correction is used in scanning a
    page of photos as one it will very likely be incorrect for any given
    photo. I'm speaking of corrections that the scanner makes.

    John H

    John H, Feb 3, 2006
  19. applebun

    poddys Guest

    I can select different areas on my scanner (Canon Canoscan - one of
    those thin ones) but in haste to complete my scanning of this album I
    for once scanned a page at a time rather than 4 individual scans, which
    is what I would usually do.

    I didn't think that scanning the whole page and then splitting into
    individual photos would make any difference over scanning the 4
    different areas individually.

    Guess in any case by looking at the results I need to re-scan at higher
    than 400dpi and individually - will see what a difference it makes.
    It's hard when starting with such small pictures to start with - and 90
    years old...

    poddys, Feb 4, 2006