    I need to extract a rar archive. Anyone like to suggest s/w that does this
    well ? I want small and fast, for linux and/or XP.

    Thanks :)
    Bruce Sinclair, Oct 18, 2010

  2. Bruce Sinclair

    Gib Bogle Guest

    Re: Rar archives and getting things out of them - s/w suggestionswanted.

    On 18/10/2010 12:31 p.m., Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I need to extract a rar archive. Anyone like to suggest s/w that does this
    > well ? I want small and fast, for linux and/or XP.
    >
    > Thanks :)

    I've been using a trial version of WinRAR. Seems to work fine.

    http://www.rarlab.com/
    Gib Bogle, Oct 18, 2010

  3. In message <i9g100$ckn$-september.org>, Bruce Sinclair wrote:

    > I need to extract a rar archive.

    I see both unrar-free and unrar-nonfree packages in Debian. And of course
    there are archives that the former has trouble with, that the latter will
    decode just fine.

    My preference is to shun sites that insist on RAR files.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 18, 2010
  4. Bruce Sinclair

    Donchano Guest

    On Sun, 17 Oct 2010 23:31:11 GMT,
    z (Bruce Sinclair)
    shouted from the highest rooftop:

    >Hi
    >
    >I need to extract a rar archive. Anyone like to suggest s/w that does this
    >well ? I want small and fast, for linux and/or XP.
    >
    >Thanks :)

    My personal favourite is ICECOW:

    http://www.iceows.com/HomePageUS.html

    Or: 7-zip: <www.7-zip.org>

    Both are freeware.
    Donchano, Oct 18, 2010
  5. Bruce Sinclair

    victor Guest

    Re: Rar archives and getting things out of them - s/w suggestionswanted.

    On 18/10/2010 12:31 p.m., Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I need to extract a rar archive. Anyone like to suggest s/w that does this
    > well ? I want small and fast, for linux and/or XP.
    >
    > Thanks :)

    7zip

    http://www.7-zip.org/
    victor, Oct 18, 2010
  6. On Sun, 17 Oct 2010 23:31:11 GMT,
    z (Bruce Sinclair)
    wrote:

    >Hi
    >
    >I need to extract a rar archive. Anyone like to suggest s/w that does this
    >well ? I want small and fast, for linux and/or XP.
    >
    >Thanks :)

    WinRar
    William Brown, Oct 18, 2010
  7. On Mon, 18 Oct 2010 13:28:46 +1300, Donchano
    <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 17 Oct 2010 23:31:11 GMT,
    > (Bruce Sinclair)
    >shouted from the highest rooftop:
    >

    >>Hi
    >>
    >>I need to extract a rar archive. Anyone like to suggest s/w that does this
    >>well ? I want small and fast, for linux and/or XP.
    >>
    >>Thanks :)

    >My personal favourite is ICECOW:
    >
    >http://www.iceows.com/HomePageUS.html
    >
    >Or: 7-zip: <www.7-zip.org>
    >
    >Both are freeware.

    But do they offer a Repair option and do they create a Extract
    directory, WinRar does.
    William Brown, Oct 18, 2010
  8. Bruce Sinclair

    Donchano Guest

    On Mon, 18 Oct 2010 17:39:46 +1300, William Brown <>
    shouted from the highest rooftop:

    >On Mon, 18 Oct 2010 13:28:46 +1300, Donchano
    ><> wrote:
    >

    >>On Sun, 17 Oct 2010 23:31:11 GMT,
    >> (Bruce Sinclair)
    >>shouted from the highest rooftop:
    >>

    >>>Hi
    >>>
    >>>I need to extract a rar archive. Anyone like to suggest s/w that does this
    >>>well ? I want small and fast, for linux and/or XP.
    >>>
    >>>Thanks :)

    >>My personal favourite is ICECOW:
    >>
    >>http://www.iceows.com/HomePageUS.html
    >>
    >>Or: 7-zip: <www.7-zip.org>
    >>
    >>Both are freeware.

    >But do they offer a Repair option and do they create a Extract
    >directory, WinRar does.

    Did the OP reqesst those features, Roger?
    Donchano, Oct 18, 2010
  9. On Mon, 18 Oct 2010 22:08:54 +1300, Donchano
    <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 18 Oct 2010 17:39:46 +1300, William Brown <>
    >shouted from the highest rooftop:
    >
    >>On Mon, 18 Oct 2010 13:28:46 +1300, Donchano
    >><> wrote:
    >>

    >>>On Sun, 17 Oct 2010 23:31:11 GMT,
    >>> (Bruce Sinclair)
    >>>shouted from the highest rooftop:

    >>>My personal favourite is ICECOW:
    >>>
    >>>http://www.iceows.com/HomePageUS.html
    >>>
    >>>Or: 7-zip: <www.7-zip.org>
    >>>
    >>>Both are freeware.

    >>But do they offer a Repair option and do they create a Extract
    >>directory, WinRar does.

    >Did the OP reqesst those features, Roger?

    Tell me Why are you So SUTPID..?

    There is a well known saying if you don't ask you don't get, we are not
    all simpletons like you..
    William Brown, Oct 19, 2010
  10. Bruce Sinclair

    AD. Guest

    On Oct 19, 12:31 pm, William Brown <> wrote:
    > Tell me Why are you   So SUTPID..?

    Careful Woger - your unintentional irony is starting to look like it
    might be intentional after all. Don't make it so obvious next time.

    --
    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., Oct 19, 2010
  11. On Mon, 18 Oct 2010 21:19:32 -0700 (PDT), "AD." <>
    wrote:

    >On Oct 19, 12:31 pm, William Brown <> wrote:
    >> Tell me Why are you   So SUTPID..?

    >Careful Woger - your unintentional irony is starting to look like it
    >might be intentional after all. Don't make it so obvious next time.

    Yes but I get fed up with all these that will pick on all my Posts for
    no reason at all.

    My Post is to help and point out the pitfalls as I use both.

    As you can see I was so pissed off that I typed Sutpid as Stupid.
    William Brown, Oct 19, 2010
  12. Bruce Sinclair

    Donchano Guest

    On Tue, 19 Oct 2010 17:43:31 +1300, William Brown <>
    shouted from the highest rooftop:

    >On Mon, 18 Oct 2010 21:19:32 -0700 (PDT), "AD." <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>On Oct 19, 12:31 pm, William Brown <> wrote:
    >>> Tell me Why are you   So SUTPID..?

    >>Careful Woger - your unintentional irony is starting to look like it
    >>might be intentional after all. Don't make it so obvious next time.

    Whoooooooosh ...

    >Yes but I get fed up with all these that will pick on all my Posts for
    >no reason at all.

    Only because you so often post for no reason at all.

    >My Post is to help and point out the pitfalls as I use both.

    Is that why you asked about features that the OP didn't mention?

    >As you can see I was so pissed off that I typed Sutpid as Stupid.

    Well that was pretty stupid.
    Donchano, Oct 19, 2010
  13. Bruce Sinclair

    AD. Guest

    On Oct 19, 6:11 pm, Donchano <> wrote:
    > On Tue, 19 Oct 2010 17:43:31 +1300, William Brown <>
    > shouted from the highest rooftop:
    >
    > >On Mon, 18 Oct 2010 21:19:32 -0700 (PDT), "AD." <>
    > >wrote:

    > >>Careful Woger - your unintentional irony is starting to look like it
    > >>might be intentional after all. Don't make it so obvious next time.

    > Whoooooooosh ...

    Umm huh? I hope that wasn't also unintentional irony?

    --
    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., Oct 19, 2010
  14. In article <>, Donchano
    <> wrote:
    >On Mon, 18 Oct 2010 17:39:46 +1300, William Brown <>
    >shouted from the highest rooftop:
    >>On Mon, 18 Oct 2010 13:28:46 +1300, Donchano
    >><> wrote:
    >>>On Sun, 17 Oct 2010 23:31:11 GMT,
    >>> (Bruce Sinclair)
    >>>
    >>>My personal favourite is ICECOW:
    >>>
    >>>http://www.iceows.com/HomePageUS.html
    >>>
    >>>Or: 7-zip: <www.7-zip.org>
    >>>
    >>>Both are freeware.

    >>But do they offer a Repair option and do they create a Extract
    >>directory, WinRar does.

    >Did the OP reqesst those features, Roger?

    No ... I just want to get the files out. :)

    Thanks to all for the suggestions. :)
    Bruce Sinclair, Oct 20, 2010