    Can anyone please tell me if they are using Rapid Spannig Tree within
    their networks and/or if you have experienced any problems ?
    The Cisco web site does not have much info on this topic.

    Franzy, Jul 22, 2004

  2. Franzy

    hktco Guest

    (Franzy) wrote in message news:<>...
    > Can anyone please tell me if they are using Rapid Spannig Tree within
    > their networks and/or if you have experienced any problems ?
    > The Cisco web site does not have much info on this topic.

    I've been using RSTP (802.1w) since its first release and am impressed
    with it. Recently (12.1(19c)EA1 - 12.1(20)EA1) there was a major bug
    (CSCee39647) that causes non-portfast-enabled access ports to reset.
    Cisco claimed that the bug was fixed in the latest version
    (12.1(22)EA1) but I haven't had the chance to test it out yet.

    hktco

    hktco, Jul 22, 2004

  3. Franzy

    Franzy Guest

    (hktco) wrote in message news:<>...
    > (Franzy) wrote in message news:<>...
    > > Can anyone please tell me if they are using Rapid Spannig Tree within
    > > their networks and/or if you have experienced any problems ?
    > > The Cisco web site does not have much info on this topic.

    > I've been using RSTP (802.1w) since its first release and am impressed
    > with it. Recently (12.1(19c)EA1 - 12.1(20)EA1) there was a major bug
    > (CSCee39647) that causes non-portfast-enabled access ports to reset.
    > Cisco claimed that the bug was fixed in the latest version
    > (12.1(22)EA1) but I haven't had the chance to test it out yet.
    >
    > hktco

    Do you have any doco on disgnosing RSPT ? Such as useful debugs, or
    show commands. I can find anything.

    Franzy, Jul 23, 2004
  4. Franzy

    MC Guest

    By default I have spanning tree disabled on all ports unless used by design
    for redundnacy purposes wihtin the infrastructure. Best to not use at all on
    server/workstation links as the BDPU's can cause the receiving system to log
    those packets as errored packets and sometimes can cause other issues.

    MC, Jul 23, 2004
  5. Franzy

    Hansang Bae Guest

    In article <aRZLc.22980$>, mwclarke1
    @yahoo.com says...
    > By default I have spanning tree disabled on all ports unless used by design
    > for redundnacy purposes wihtin the infrastructure. Best to not use at all on
    > server/workstation links as the BDPU's can cause the receiving system to log
    > those packets as errored packets and sometimes can cause other issues.

    Like accidently melting down when someone makes a patch error?
    Disabling STP can be quite dangerous.

    --

    hsb

    Hansang Bae, Jul 23, 2004
  6. Franzy

    MC Guest

    Not really. I usually have more problems when I use it and do not need,
    Absoultly no spanning tree on server connections.

    Use very tight configuration controls and only those who I know what they
    are doing will ever touch the infrastructure and all pathing is defined
    during design phase and specific in the implementation doc's.

    Most of the time I would rather know if a patching error were to cause a
    problem right then than have spanning tree block ports due to a
    configuration error due to a loop that most of the times caused performance
    issues anyway sine not taking the correct path.

    People working for me ususally do not make many mistakes since we have a
    standard process in place, all changes happen during a window and usually
    know if the design is working before having to release back into production.
    Therfore should not have to have any pathing problems.

    MC, Jul 25, 2004
  7. Hello, MC!
    You wrote on Sat, 24 Jul 2004 22:20:36 -0400:

    M> Not really. I usually have more problems when I use it and do not
    M> need, Absoultly no spanning tree on server connections.

    Have you ever seen a NIC card failing in a way that it becomes a loopback? Do
    you know what's going to happen than with STP being disabled?

    If answers is no - there is big surprise for you somewhere down the road :)

    With best regards,
    Andrey.

    Andrey Tarasov, Jul 25, 2004
  8. hi

    we are using it in the most of our networks. It works fine.

    Michael

    Michael Exner, Jul 25, 2004
  9. Franzy

    terry Guest

    "Andrey Tarasov" <> wrote in message news:<cdvf56$102$>...
    > Hello, MC!
    > You wrote on Sat, 24 Jul 2004 22:20:36 -0400:
    >
    > M> Not really. I usually have more problems when I use it and do not
    > M> need, Absoultly no spanning tree on server connections.
    >
    > Have you ever seen a NIC card failing in a way that it becomes a loopback? Do
    > you know what's going to happen than with STP being disabled?
    >
    > If answers is no - there is big surprise for you somewhere down the road :)
    >
    > With best regards,
    > Andrey.

    I must agree, disabling STP on ANY interface is to be avoided.
    Currently, in major data centre installations, there is a tendency to
    use dual nics. These, when they fail, often set up dumb
    bridge/repeater type environments. These form loops. In addition,
    patching problems can and do happen in any environment. To have your
    entire VLAN, and potentially the entire network, at risk because a
    server cannot handle BPDUs is a bit weak. Cisco seems to agree.
    Portfast is really the limit of the weakening the protective
    behaviour, and then only with bpdu guard enabled.

    Just in case that wasn't worded strongly enough, disabling Spanning
    Tree on any switched port in any topology is not recommended!

    Cheers,

    Terry Pattinson

    terry, Jul 26, 2004
  10. Franzy

    Franzy Guest

    I have set this up within my Test Lab and i agree that everything is
    runnign fine with no errors. I have found only a few documnets which
    illustrated the functionality of Rapid but no helpful diagnostic
    tools.
    I can use the default spanning tree diagnostic tools, but is there
    anything specific to Rapid that you may be able to tell me when it
    does come time to diagnosing a Rapid spannign tree problem ?

    Thanks
    Dave

    Franzy, Jul 28, 2004
  11. Franzy

    Franzy Guest

    I agree, spanning-tree is vital within anyones network. Disabling it
    will undoubtly cause you problems if you have many people
    configure/patching the network. All it takes is one loop and you
    whole core infrastructure could crash and i bet your upper management
    will kick your arse for it as well.
    I have configured my testing with and without rapid spaning tree (and
    any spannig tree for that matter), i received the same failover
    results. So i have left the rapid running. I also an using dual Nics
    and i agree with that any Nic failure may lead to loops and unusual
    activity.
    But my original questions was not wether to have spanning tree running
    or not, it is more about Rapid spanning tree....i would like people
    with first hand experience to tell me of any complications and/or
    troubleshooting tips they have come across specific to Rapid.

    Regards
    Franzy

    Franzy, Jul 28, 2004
  12. Franzy

    heavenscent

    Joined:
    Aug 25, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    hi!

    I'm having problem with my rstp . . .

    one link is having a port role/state of designated/forwarding in one end and a disabled/disabled on the other. (please see attached diagram)

    hope somebody can help me here...

    thanks a lot in advance!

    Attached Files:

    heavenscent, Aug 25, 2007