    to be..."

    Anyone able to recommend a capacious full tower that won't offend my stodgy
    sensibilities of what a computer should look like?
    M. Murcek, Jul 1, 2005

  2. M. Murcek

    Chuck Guest

    M. Murcek wrote:
    > This has nothing to do with x64, but since lots of the people posting here
    > build their own machines, I thought somebody here might be able to help.
    >
    > My x64 pc resides in a huge PC Power & Cooling tower case. It's as plain as
    > you can imagine - a tall, very heavy duty white box with 8 accessible 5 /14
    > drive bays, a power switch and a reset switch. PC Power & Cooling now makes
    > only power supplies. Also, every time I have swap a peripheral out of this
    > case, I miss the nice tool-less features of lots of newer cases like
    > Enlight's.
    >
    > Here's the rant: All the cases on the market today look absurd. I know
    > that it's what the hip crowd wants, but it reminds me of the line in the old
    > John Prine song "Looks like a 'lectric shaver now where the courthouse used
    > to be..."
    >
    > Anyone able to recommend a capacious full tower that won't offend my stodgy
    > sensibilities of what a computer should look like?

    I owned one of these ( http://www.addtronics.com/6890a.htm) once. I'm a
    fan of drive rails. What I liked at the time was the floppy bay was at
    the top but I know that's not an issue anymore. Maybe check out the
    other models at that site.

    Chuck
    Chuck, Jul 1, 2005

  3. M. Murcek

    John Barnes Guest

    Sounds like you want a case you can hide out from the wife in. :)

    John Barnes, Jul 1, 2005
  4. M. Murcek

    MHPNW STAFF Guest

    Take a look at the Antec line of full tower cases.... I have one and it's a
    white tower , with lot's of cooling and storage

    Dennis

    MHPNW STAFF, Jul 1, 2005
  5. M. Murcek

    Peter Lawton Guest

    It's hard enough to find a case now without a see through side panel and
    neon lights. Can't even buy a fan without the damn lights! :(

    Peter Lawton

    Peter Lawton, Jul 1, 2005
  6. M. Murcek

    M. Murcek Guest

    Got no wife - and anyway, that's what the golf course or hunting lodge is
    for...

    M. Murcek, Jul 1, 2005
  7. M. Murcek

    John Barnes Guest

    http://www.antec.com/uk/support_productInfo_details.php?ProdID=01500#

    Doesn't have 8 visible 5 1/4 drive bays, but I haven't seen one.

    John Barnes, Jul 1, 2005
  8. M. Murcek

    Intel_Fan Guest

    I'll vouch for the Antec cases (especially the full towers). They have a BA
    fan in the back that most folks find irritatingly loud but it pumps a lot of
    air. On mine, the power supply fans is speed controlled via a motherboard
    connection. Unfortunately, the BA fan in the back is not. I suppose it could
    be re-wired but I don't really care enough about the noise to bother.
    I do like the screw-less accessories features on the older InWin and Enlight
    cases too.

    Intel_Fan, Jul 1, 2005
  9. The Antec cases. If you don't need a full tower, there are some VERY nice
    options that are quite quiet. For full tower, the options are a bit less, but
    still very good cases. I just built a new x64 box with the new Sonata II
    case, and really like it. Almost as quiet as the original Sonata, but with
    more power and cooling. And I'm actually a big fan of the side mount 3.5" HD
    slots. See our blog for the latest build.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://www.msmvps.com/xperts64/

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 1, 2005
  10. M. Murcek wrote:
    > Here's the rant: All the cases on the market today look absurd.

    The Mac Mini has the only nice case I have seen so far. But the
    computing power is so amazingly disappointing, that I just can't decide
    to buy one.

    Yes, I like small form factor cases, but on the PC side you usually get
    a noise problem included, plus expansion space is limited.

    > Anyone able to recommend a capacious full tower that won't offend my stodgy
    > sensibilities of what a computer should look like?

    Sun? I think they look ok.

    Or just get a computer desk that does a good job at hiding the case.

    Thomas
    Thomas Steffen, Jul 1, 2005
  11. M. Murcek

    M. Murcek Guest

    I also like the new SFF stuff - but there's no way to stuff a dual Opteron
    into it with lots of RAM, and I sure don't want the mess of a pile of USB2
    or 1394 outboard peripherals.

    M. Murcek, Jul 1, 2005
  12. M. Murcek

    M. Murcek Guest

    I could always go to a USB floppy (only need it very rarely) lose the ZIP
    drive and replace it with a media card reader, then I only need 5 accessible
    5 1/4 bays, 2 for HDDs (I like to mount them in the Antec heat sink /
    coolers with temp readouts) and 1 each for CDRW / DVD reader and dual layer
    DVD writer (soon to be obsolesced by HD DVD)

    M. Murcek, Jul 1, 2005
  13. The issue is your desire to fit a dual opteron in there. That means an
    extended ATX case, somewhat larger than a standard mobo. Otherwise, I'd say
    the new Antec P-180 would be a perfect fit for you. Go with a 3 1/2 "
    floppy+card reader device, and you don't need a 5 1/4 for that. 1 for the
    DVD, one for the DVD/CDRW, and if you must have 5 1/2 accessible bays for
    your HDs then you only need a total of 4 bays.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 2, 2005
  14. M. Murcek

    Ron Bogart Guest

    Antec - can't beat 'em. Mine is plain - black - full of cooling fans -
    screw-less - plain jane container that works great!

    --
    Ron Bogart {} ô¿ô¬
    Associate Expert

    In news:%,
    M. Murcek <> did some thinking and came up with
    these words:

    Ron Bogart, Jul 2, 2005
  15. I use the coolermaster wavemaster, very sexy, very simple, doesnt have a side
    window, all aluminium ,very high quality build, not huge though, if your
    after huge try the coolermaster stacker, very practical, again very high
    build quality and has brilliant airflow, and has something like 10 accesable
    5 1/4 drive bays

    =?Utf-8?B?bXJuYXRoYW4=?=, Jul 2, 2005
  16. Bruce Chambers, Jul 2, 2005
  17. You have to take special precautions with the sexy cases. For example, to
    prevent viruses, leave the plastic sleeve on the floppy diskette when
    inserting it into the drive. That helps to prevent the spread of unwanted
    data.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 3, 2005