Rant: Intellectual Property, DRM, and Microsoft

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by TechNews, Jun 2, 2004.

  1. TechNews

    TechNews Guest

    By James C

    Despite my usual disdain for foul language, I must invoke their use in my
    total and utter hatred of the US Intellectual Property laws, Palladium and
    the good old boys at M$.

    I am not going to rant in total fanaticism about Linux and hatred of
    Windows - they have their advantages and disadvantages. I'm not going to
    delve into that OS flame war.

    The thing that shits me about this whole digital millenium jerk-off that the
    yanks have introduced will totally **** over the entire computing
    world -since nearly all the corporations are american. For goodness sake,
    with the amount of Australian businesses and ingenuity now owned by the US
    corporations, Australia is the 51st state. Everyone likes the fun action and
    'surreal' quality of The Matrix, but these assholes want to try and emulate
    what it is doing - you cannot do anything on an electronic device without
    some corporate ****-face telling you what you should be doing, whats right
    and what isn't, or it's upgrade time every second week for "only $1000" - In
    the mean time, collecting my personal details to sell to some dipshit on
    Wall Street to make money off. What has happened to the idea of morality? Or
    is that an optional add-on for $2000, plus licensing fees and DRM audits?

    I am no hardcore "GPL must rule the world person" - Like RMS - but this
    corporate bullshit pisses many of us off, and Im sure if the general public
    knew more about it, so would they. I can see it [Palladium] as an effort to
    curb piracy, but when the biggest bully in the corporate world is its
    "benevolent creator" i find the whole smokescreen to be total shit. Not
    satisfied with fucking owning the PC world, they want to kill the general
    public's interest in free software and replace it with some DRM crap that is
    so tight and restrictive it will make your balls ache.They are the boardroom
    version of the gangstas in your nearest alleyway.

    Whats even more frightening is that DRM, the fetid scourge that will pollute
    Windows in the near future (and is to some extent now) as we all know, will
    also be a hardware component. Perhaps the good old days of "rd c:\windows,
    and be gone with it" are numbered. Even with our favourite OS here, the
    hardware boys will still get to you in some way or another, for their
    disturbingly rich piece of the DRM pie. All of this money swindling bullshit
    here in the developed world - for example, to repay the good music labels
    that have worked so hard to **** its artists like bitches while paying them
    nothing. All this while people can't even fucking eat decent food overseas.
    What a wonderful world we live in.

    The whole concept IP is a piece of shit. Its true. What was wrong with
    copyright? (Wait a sec, we couldn't make enought money out of it - how silly
    of me). At least copyright was not insane, but common sense and even moral
    when it was drawn up. The US has gone even more overboard in its ridiculous
    legal system - not to mention having a fucking inbred, gung-ho, tex-mex,
    ranch manging dipshit as a president. What I could now do is copyright the
    word 'e' so everyone [If the world was to adopt the same plan] has to pay me
    $1 for every time they use it. They have to licence a piece of the english
    language of me, indefinately - with myself not giving anything back. What a
    wonderful IP world could we live in. Think of how much legal fun we will all
    have! We may even have to licence our children! Or even pay to breathe air -
    Hey, its God's intellectual property, so I'm sure a representative (Most
    likely from a Texas Mission) will register the IP for Him. Fun for
    everyone!!!

    An oooooooohhhhhhhh Microsoft. Do I need to say anything more? We all follow
    the latest news about them, so there is no need here to recap it. Except one
    thing. When President Reagan referred to the "Evil Empire", It was
    Microsoft, not the [then] Soviet Union. They simply do not want to give us
    any choice but theirs. And with corporate cowboys in bed with the Bush
    administration, I think they've got a rather nice environment for going
    ahead with their plans to invade all of our privacy and restrict our choice
    in software, and everything else come the time.

    Phew. Contrary to the impression I may give, I am not insane, crazy, a
    greenie activist, a new age know-it-all or an anti-american terrorist - Im
    not even against everyday americans. I am just an average guy that is
    concerned for his freedom, which is [allegedly] assured by democratic
    constitutions. A bit of advice for the corporate gods that think they own
    myself and other people - Go **** yourself. Take your privacy-invading,
    rights-nullifying and democracy-mocking technology and go blow your fucking
    mother off.

    --
    Reliability:Speed:Security
    TechNews, Jun 2, 2004

  2. TechNews

    one_red_eye Guest

    Re: Intellectual Property, DRM, and Microsoft

    "TechNews" <> wrote in message

    <snip>

    > The whole concept IP is a piece of shit. Its true. What was wrong with
    > copyright? (Wait a sec, we couldn't make enought money out of it - how

    silly
    > of me). At least copyright was not insane, but common sense and even moral
    > when it was drawn up. The US has gone even more overboard in its

    ridiculous
    > legal system - not to mention having a fucking inbred, gung-ho, tex-mex,
    > ranch manging dipshit as a president. What I could now do is copyright the
    > word 'e' so everyone [If the world was to adopt the same plan] has to pay

    me
    > $1 for every time they use it. They have to licence a piece of the english
    > language of me, indefinately - with myself not giving anything back. What

    > wonderful IP world could we live in. Think of how much legal fun we will

    all
    > have! We may even have to licence our children! Or even pay to breathe

    air -
    > Hey, its God's intellectual property, so I'm sure a representative (Most
    > likely from a Texas Mission) will register the IP for Him. Fun for
    > everyone!!!

    <snip>

    You were doing fine till you slammed the Prez. It was that liberal piece of
    garbage Clitton that fucked up the whole system in this country. It was all
    Bush could do to straighten it out.

    --
    Despite the high cost of living,
    it remains popular.
    one_red_eye, Jun 2, 2004

  3. TechNews

    Parko Guest

    On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 15:29:14 +0000, TechNews wrote:

    > I am not going to rant in total fanaticism about Linux and hatred of
    > Windows - they have their advantages and disadvantages. I'm not going to
    > delve into that OS flame war.

    I note you're using Knode. Get an old (or better a G5) Mac and a copy of
    Yellowdog Linux. Use Ogg for music and look at a little package called
    Hymn for any ITunes purchases. Palladium and DRM problem solved.

    --
    Parko
    Registered Linux User #339345
    Parko, Jun 2, 2004
  4. TechNews

    127.0.0.1 Guest

    "TechNews" <> wrote in message

    > By James C
    > The whole concept IP is a piece of shit. Its true. What was wrong with
    > copyright? (Wait a sec, we couldn't make enought money out of it - how

    silly
    > of me). At least copyright was not insane, but common sense and even moral
    > when it was drawn up. The US has gone even more overboard in its

    ridiculous
    > legal system - not to mention having a fucking inbred, gung-ho, tex-mex,
    > ranch manging dipshit as a president. What I could now do is copyright the
    > word 'e' so everyone [If the world was to adopt the same plan] has to pay

    me
    > $1 for every time they use it. They have to licence a piece of the english
    > language of me, indefinately - with myself not giving anything back. What

    > wonderful IP world could we live in. Think of how much legal fun we will

    all
    > have! We may even have to licence our children! Or even pay to breathe

    air -
    > Hey, its God's intellectual property, so I'm sure a representative (Most
    > likely from a Texas Mission) will register the IP for Him. Fun for
    > everyone!!!

    the only way to make money with IP is to rent it.. not sell it.
    you won't see GPL programmers owning private jets or playing golf with Bill.

    -a|ex
    127.0.0.1, Jun 3, 2004
  5. TechNews

    ProfGene Guest

    Re: Intellectual Property, DRM, and Microsoft

    You already have to pay to breath air. Energy from coal whose smokestacks
    have scrubbers to clean the air cost more money than if they didn't. Cleaner
    emissions from car exhausts costs more money than if they were not there so
    clean air if you are fortunate enough to breath any is not free unless you
    live on top of a mountain but living there would also cost more money to get
    your necessities. Modern technilogical wonders have a price.

    ProfGene, Jun 3, 2004