[rant] IM download

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Warwick, Sep 6, 2004.

  1. Warwick

    Warwick Guest

    I have been trying to get a new windows installation going on dial up.
    I know broadband users will be giggling already, but its not damn funny.

    This page is very annoying, it is the download for Instant Messenger.
    http://messenger.msn.com/download/downloadx.aspx

    Normally if you download a file via http and IE 6 you get a nice little
    dialog. You are asked if you want to 'open', 'save' or 'cancel'.
    The file you are getting is named, and there is a transfer rate and
    progress bar.

    Here ms have decided to do things a little differently.
    You go to the page and the download begins automatically, the page has its
    own progress bar. If you are stupid enough to click on a url in another
    program, the page will change, and the download probably stops (does it? I
    don't know, nor can I be bothered waiting to find out).
    So I chose the manual option and invoked the normal dialog.
    For some reason it stopped.
    I reopened the page and started again. It picked up where it left off:)!
    But then it started the other download as wells, from the beginning on the
    page. FFS!. As I write, the 84% dialog dload has stopped completely, the
    other is ticking over slowly from the beginning. And someone is hounding me
    so they can use the phone. (sigh).

    I think the transfer rate on the dialog box is bullshit.
    It started at 4.26 kbps. Now it is down to 779 bits and dropping. I am sure
    it is simply dividing the data received by the time taken.
    So the transfer rate shows as a slowly decrementing figure, when if fact
    nothing is being transferred at all.
    Warwick, Sep 6, 2004

  2. Warwick wrote:

    > I have been trying to get a new windows installation going on dial up.
    > I know broadband users will be giggling already, but its not damn funny.
    >
    > This page is very annoying, it is the download for Instant Messenger.
    > http://messenger.msn.com/download/downloadx.aspx
    >
    > Normally if you download a file via http and IE 6 you get a nice little
    > dialog. You are asked if you want to 'open', 'save' or 'cancel'.
    > The file you are getting is named, and there is a transfer rate and
    > progress bar.

    Try here then
    http://g.xtramsn.co.nz/7MEEN_NZ/EN/SETUPDL.EXE
    Nathan Mercer, Sep 6, 2004

  3. Warwick

    Bret Guest

    On Mon, 6 Sep 2004 20:42:11 +1200, Warwick <>
    wrote:

    >I think the transfer rate on the dialog box is bullshit.
    >It started at 4.26 kbps. Now it is down to 779 bits and dropping. I am sure
    >it is simply dividing the data received by the time taken.
    >So the transfer rate shows as a slowly decrementing figure, when if fact
    >nothing is being transferred at all.

    LOL
    Sorry Warwick, but thats damn good humour, have you thought about
    going professional :)
    Picture a voiceover, man sitting at comp, voiceover ends
    Out with the baseball bat.
    Bret, Sep 6, 2004
  4. Warwick

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Bret wrote:
    > On Mon, 6 Sep 2004 20:42:11 +1200, Warwick <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I think the transfer rate on the dialog box is bullshit.
    >> It started at 4.26 kbps. Now it is down to 779 bits and dropping. I
    >> am sure it is simply dividing the data received by the time taken.
    >> So the transfer rate shows as a slowly decrementing figure, when if
    >> fact nothing is being transferred at all.

    > LOL
    > Sorry Warwick, but thats damn good humour, have you thought about
    > going professional :)
    > Picture a voiceover, man sitting at comp, voiceover ends
    > Out with the baseball bat.

    LOL, I agree, and sympathise. I've been there.

    I have one word for you: *LeechGet*. Since I started using it downloads have
    been a breeze, even on my crappy dial-up.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Sep 6, 2004