(Rant) Genuine HP (NON)-compatible Cartridges. Is this a rip off?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Seagull, Aug 26, 2007.

  1. Seagull

    Seagull Guest

    Because I am unable to find Vista drivers for my 8 year old Canon printer, I
    decided (was forced) to buy a new printer-multifunction device.

    Now I am aware of the usual catch where you swallow the bait and buy a cheap
    printer today and then have pay extortionate ink prices later, so I did a
    little research and decided to buy an HP 4184.

    Now my son had an earlier model HP multifunction machine which used the same
    HP 21 and 22 cartridges and I was aware that there were also available
    higher capacity (and slightly more economical) cartridges Number HP 56 and
    57.

    Now I assumed that since the physical dimensions were the same I would
    ultimately be able to save a little on ink costs by using the higher
    capacity cartridges so I went ahead and purchased a HP 4185. I read
    somewhere that 56/57 cartridges fitted HP4100 series printers.

    The first shock was that the cartridges fitted to the new unit were
    "introductory specials" and had the massive capacity of 3 mls each.

    The second shock was when a closer look at the manual indicated the 56 and
    57 cartridges were not mentioned as being compatible.

    I got hold of a "Consumer Service Representative" who after consulting with
    her boss confirmed that 56 /57 carts would not work in a 4184 MFP.

    Now since the physical dimensions are the same the only way for the 56/57
    cartridges to fail to work would be if HP had programmed the machine to
    read the ID on the cartridges and then reject them.

    If true, I think this marks an extreme low point even for an industry
    already widely condemned for its cynical marketing methods. Meanwhile I have
    exchanged the 4184 for a Canon model but can anyone confirm my theory?
    --
    Seagull

    --
    Ray Symmans
    Seagull, Aug 26, 2007

  2. Seagull

    Greg House Guest

    On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 10:55:06 +1200, "Seagull" <> wrote:

    >Because I am unable to find Vista drivers for my 8 year old Canon printer, I
    >decided (was forced) to buy a new printer-multifunction device.
    >
    >Now I am aware of the usual catch where you swallow the bait and buy a cheap
    >printer today and then have pay extortionate ink prices later, so I did a
    >little research and decided to buy an HP 4184.
    >
    >Now my son had an earlier model HP multifunction machine which used the same
    >HP 21 and 22 cartridges and I was aware that there were also available
    >higher capacity (and slightly more economical) cartridges Number HP 56 and
    >57.
    >
    >Now I assumed that since the physical dimensions were the same I would
    >ultimately be able to save a little on ink costs by using the higher
    >capacity cartridges so I went ahead and purchased a HP 4185. I read
    >somewhere that 56/57 cartridges fitted HP4100 series printers.
    >
    >The first shock was that the cartridges fitted to the new unit were
    >"introductory specials" and had the massive capacity of 3 mls each.
    >
    >The second shock was when a closer look at the manual indicated the 56 and
    >57 cartridges were not mentioned as being compatible.
    >
    >I got hold of a "Consumer Service Representative" who after consulting with
    >her boss confirmed that 56 /57 carts would not work in a 4184 MFP.
    >
    >Now since the physical dimensions are the same the only way for the 56/57
    >cartridges to fail to work would be if HP had programmed the machine to
    >read the ID on the cartridges and then reject them.
    >
    >If true, I think this marks an extreme low point even for an industry
    >already widely condemned for its cynical marketing methods. Meanwhile I have
    >exchanged the 4184 for a Canon model but can anyone confirm my theory?
    >--
    >Seagull

    Now what did you really lean from your mistakes, One you brought Vista two you brought a HP Bubble
    Jet..

    Vista has stacks of problems and really is a Beta release and Bubble jets can Only use Water based
    Inks that rot the print head...

    Epson printers are Real ink jet printers that can use any type of inks..
    Greg House, Aug 27, 2007

  3. Seagull

    none Guest

    Re: (Rant) Genuine HP (NON)-compatible Cartridges. Is this a ripoff?

    Greg House wrote:
    > Now what did you really lean from your mistakes, One you brought Vista two you brought a HP Bubble
    > Jet..

    Bubble Jet's are made by Canon.
    none, Aug 27, 2007
  4. Seagull

    Tony in Oz Guest

    "Greg House" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 10:55:06 +1200, "Seagull"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Because I am unable to find Vista drivers for my 8 year old Canon printer,
    >>decided (was forced) to buy a new printer-multifunction device.
    >>
    >>Now I am aware of the usual catch where you swallow the bait and buy a
    >>cheap
    >>printer today and then have pay extortionate ink prices later, so I did a
    >>little research and decided to buy an HP 4184.
    >>
    >>Now my son had an earlier model HP multifunction machine which used the
    >>same
    >>HP 21 and 22 cartridges and I was aware that there were also available
    >>higher capacity (and slightly more economical) cartridges Number HP 56 and
    >>57.
    >>
    >>Now I assumed that since the physical dimensions were the same I would
    >>ultimately be able to save a little on ink costs by using the higher
    >>capacity cartridges so I went ahead and purchased a HP 4185. I read
    >>somewhere that 56/57 cartridges fitted HP4100 series printers.
    >>
    >>The first shock was that the cartridges fitted to the new unit were
    >>"introductory specials" and had the massive capacity of 3 mls each.
    >>
    >>The second shock was when a closer look at the manual indicated the 56
    >>and
    >>57 cartridges were not mentioned as being compatible.
    >>
    >>I got hold of a "Consumer Service Representative" who after consulting
    >>with
    >>her boss confirmed that 56 /57 carts would not work in a 4184 MFP.
    >>
    >>Now since the physical dimensions are the same the only way for the 56/57
    >>cartridges to fail to work would be if HP had programmed the machine to
    >>read the ID on the cartridges and then reject them.
    >>
    >>If true, I think this marks an extreme low point even for an industry
    >>already widely condemned for its cynical marketing methods. Meanwhile I
    >>have
    >>exchanged the 4184 for a Canon model but can anyone confirm my theory?
    >>--
    >>Seagull

    > Now what did you really lean from your mistakes, One you brought Vista
    > two you brought a HP Bubble
    > Jet..
    >
    > Vista has stacks of problems and really is a Beta release and Bubble jets
    > can Only use Water based
    > Inks that rot the print head...
    >
    > Epson printers are Real ink jet printers that can use any type of inks..

    Fuckwit
    Tony in Oz, Aug 27, 2007
  5. Seagull

    Greg House Guest

    On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 11:49:51 +1200, none <> wrote:

    >Greg House wrote:
    >> Now what did you really lean from your mistakes, One you brought Vista two you brought a HP Bubble
    >> Jet..

    >Bubble Jet's are made by Canon.

    And HP and most other printers use the same printing methods by heating the ink with a hot wire, it
    causes the ink to bubble, but the ink attacks the wire and it corrodes..
    Greg House, Aug 27, 2007
  6. Seagull

    Greg House Guest

    On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 00:20:17 GMT, "Tony in Oz" <> wrote:

    >"Greg House" <> wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 10:55:06 +1200, "Seagull"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Because I am unable to find Vista drivers for my 8 year old Canon printer,
    >>>decided (was forced) to buy a new printer-multifunction device.
    >>>
    >>>Now I am aware of the usual catch where you swallow the bait and buy a
    >>>cheap
    >>>printer today and then have pay extortionate ink prices later, so I did a
    >>>little research and decided to buy an HP 4184.
    >>>
    >>>Now my son had an earlier model HP multifunction machine which used the
    >>>same
    >>>HP 21 and 22 cartridges and I was aware that there were also available
    >>>higher capacity (and slightly more economical) cartridges Number HP 56 and
    >>>57.
    >>>
    >>>Now I assumed that since the physical dimensions were the same I would
    >>>ultimately be able to save a little on ink costs by using the higher
    >>>capacity cartridges so I went ahead and purchased a HP 4185. I read
    >>>somewhere that 56/57 cartridges fitted HP4100 series printers.
    >>>
    >>>The first shock was that the cartridges fitted to the new unit were
    >>>"introductory specials" and had the massive capacity of 3 mls each.
    >>>
    >>>The second shock was when a closer look at the manual indicated the 56
    >>>and
    >>>57 cartridges were not mentioned as being compatible.
    >>>
    >>>I got hold of a "Consumer Service Representative" who after consulting
    >>>with
    >>>her boss confirmed that 56 /57 carts would not work in a 4184 MFP.
    >>>
    >>>Now since the physical dimensions are the same the only way for the 56/57
    >>>cartridges to fail to work would be if HP had programmed the machine to
    >>>read the ID on the cartridges and then reject them.
    >>>
    >>>If true, I think this marks an extreme low point even for an industry
    >>>already widely condemned for its cynical marketing methods. Meanwhile I
    >>>have
    >>>exchanged the 4184 for a Canon model but can anyone confirm my theory?
    >>>--
    >>>Seagull

    >> Now what did you really lean from your mistakes, One you brought Vista
    >> two you brought a HP Bubble
    >> Jet..
    >>
    >> Vista has stacks of problems and really is a Beta release and Bubble jets
    >> can Only use Water based
    >> Inks that rot the print head...
    >>
    >> Epson printers are Real ink jet printers that can use any type of inks..
    >>

    >Fuckwit

    No you are, as you were born or were you hatched..?

    Greg House, Aug 27, 2007
  7. Seagull

    Tony in Oz Guest

    "Greg House" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 00:20:17 GMT, "Tony in Oz" <> wrote:
    >

    >>"Greg House" <> wrote in message

    >>> Now what did you really lean from your mistakes, One you brought Vista
    >>> two you brought a HP Bubble
    >>> Jet..
    >>>
    >>> Vista has stacks of problems and really is a Beta release and Bubble
    >>> jets
    >>> can Only use Water based
    >>> Inks that rot the print head...
    >>>
    >>> Epson printers are Real ink jet printers that can use any type of inks..
    >>>

    >>Fuckwit
    >>

    > No you are, as you were born or were you hatched..?

    I need no further evidence, as you just proved it for all to see.
    Fuckwit.
    Tony in Oz, Aug 27, 2007
  8. Seagull

    Geopelia Guest

    I have an hp psc 1315 all-in-one printer, scanner etc.

    I was surprised to find that the image zone needs discs which were not
    supplied with the machine. There was only the disc to start it and another
    the same for a mac.

    I'll have to fiind someone who sells these discs if I want to use Image
    Zone. I'm just using it as a printer at present.

    Geopelia
    Geopelia, Aug 27, 2007
  9. Seagull

    Squiggle Guest

    Seagull wrote:
    > Because I am unable to find Vista drivers for my 8 year old Canon printer, I
    > decided (was forced) to buy a new printer-multifunction device.
    >
    > Now I am aware of the usual catch where you swallow the bait and buy a cheap
    > printer today and then have pay extortionate ink prices later, so I did a
    > little research and decided to buy an HP 4184.
    >
    > Now my son had an earlier model HP multifunction machine which used the same
    > HP 21 and 22 cartridges and I was aware that there were also available
    > higher capacity (and slightly more economical) cartridges Number HP 56 and
    > 57.
    >
    > Now I assumed that since the physical dimensions were the same I would
    > ultimately be able to save a little on ink costs by using the higher
    > capacity cartridges so I went ahead and purchased a HP 4185. I read
    > somewhere that 56/57 cartridges fitted HP4100 series printers.
    >
    > The first shock was that the cartridges fitted to the new unit were
    > "introductory specials" and had the massive capacity of 3 mls each.
    >
    > The second shock was when a closer look at the manual indicated the 56 and
    > 57 cartridges were not mentioned as being compatible.
    >
    > I got hold of a "Consumer Service Representative" who after consulting with
    > her boss confirmed that 56 /57 carts would not work in a 4184 MFP.
    >
    > Now since the physical dimensions are the same the only way for the 56/57
    > cartridges to fail to work would be if HP had programmed the machine to
    > read the ID on the cartridges and then reject them.
    >
    > If true, I think this marks an extreme low point even for an industry
    > already widely condemned for its cynical marketing methods. Meanwhile I have
    > exchanged the 4184 for a Canon model but can anyone confirm my theory?

    Its even worse than you realise. Not only do they read the cartridge ID
    and refuse to use the higher capacity (and therefore cheaper)
    cartridges, they also enforce an expiry date, and do not allow refilling
    of cartridges.
    Squiggle, Aug 27, 2007
  10. Seagull

    Bobs Guest

    Seagull wrote:
    > Because I am unable to find Vista drivers for my 8 year old Canon printer, I
    > decided (was forced) to buy a new printer-multifunction device.
    >
    > Now I am aware of the usual catch where you swallow the bait and buy a cheap
    > printer today and then have pay extortionate ink prices later, so I did a
    > little research and decided to buy an HP 4184.
    >
    > Now my son had an earlier model HP multifunction machine which used the same
    > HP 21 and 22 cartridges and I was aware that there were also available
    > higher capacity (and slightly more economical) cartridges Number HP 56 and
    > 57.
    >
    > Now I assumed that since the physical dimensions were the same I would
    > ultimately be able to save a little on ink costs by using the higher
    > capacity cartridges so I went ahead and purchased a HP 4185. I read
    > somewhere that 56/57 cartridges fitted HP4100 series printers.
    >
    > The first shock was that the cartridges fitted to the new unit were
    > "introductory specials" and had the massive capacity of 3 mls each.
    >
    > The second shock was when a closer look at the manual indicated the 56 and
    > 57 cartridges were not mentioned as being compatible.
    >
    > I got hold of a "Consumer Service Representative" who after consulting with
    > her boss confirmed that 56 /57 carts would not work in a 4184 MFP.
    >
    > Now since the physical dimensions are the same the only way for the 56/57
    > cartridges to fail to work would be if HP had programmed the machine to
    > read the ID on the cartridges and then reject them.
    >
    > If true, I think this marks an extreme low point even for an industry
    > already widely condemned for its cynical marketing methods. Meanwhile I have
    > exchanged the 4184 for a Canon model but can anyone confirm my theory?

    Printers are the biggest rip off to hit the technology market. EVeryone
    gets suckered into these awesome $150 printers that do wonders, only to
    find out that the ink lasts a week and the catridges costs more than
    your right nut.

    HP are the worst. They're the pits, and their printers are junk.
    Bobs, Aug 27, 2007
  11. Seagull

    Ross Guest

    On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 18:12:33 +1200, Bobs
    <> wrote:

    >Printers are the biggest rip off to hit the technology market. EVeryone
    >gets suckered into these awesome $150 printers that do wonders, only to
    >find out that the ink lasts a week and the catridges costs more than
    >your right nut.
    >
    >HP are the worst. They're the pits, and their printers are junk.

    We got a Canon iP1600 on special for $35.
    Now we are up for our first cartridge replacement. Either that, or we
    look for another printer on special and throw this one out, LOL!
    Ross, Aug 27, 2007
  12. Seagull

    Rob S Guest

    Geopelia wrote:
    > I have an hp psc 1315 all-in-one printer, scanner etc.
    >
    > I was surprised to find that the image zone needs discs which were not
    > supplied with the machine. There was only the disc to start it and another
    > the same for a mac.
    >
    > I'll have to fiind someone who sells these discs if I want to use Image
    > Zone. I'm just using it as a printer at present.
    >
    > Geopelia

    Geo,

    Image Zone is now called Photosmart Essential and is a free download from

    or tinyurl http://tinyurl.com/yzddmh (10 Mb download)

    --

    Rob
    http://www.aspir8or.com

    Historically speaking, the presence of wheels in Unix has never
    precluded their reinvention. - Larry Wall
    Rob S, Aug 27, 2007
  13. Seagull

    Seagull Guest

    "Squiggle" <> wrote in message
    > Seagull wrote:
    >> Because I am unable to find Vista drivers for my 8 year old Canon
    >> printer, I
    >> decided (was forced) to buy a new printer-multifunction device.
    >>
    >> Now I am aware of the usual catch where you swallow the bait and buy a
    >> cheap
    >> printer today and then have pay extortionate ink prices later, so I did a
    >> little research and decided to buy an HP 4184.
    >>
    >> Now my son had an earlier model HP multifunction machine which used the
    >> same
    >> HP 21 and 22 cartridges and I was aware that there were also available
    >> higher capacity (and slightly more economical) cartridges Number HP 56
    >> and
    >> 57.
    >>
    >> Now I assumed that since the physical dimensions were the same I would
    >> ultimately be able to save a little on ink costs by using the higher
    >> capacity cartridges so I went ahead and purchased a HP 4185. I read
    >> somewhere that 56/57 cartridges fitted HP4100 series printers.
    >>
    >> The first shock was that the cartridges fitted to the new unit were
    >> "introductory specials" and had the massive capacity of 3 mls each.
    >>
    >> The second shock was when a closer look at the manual indicated the 56
    >> and
    >> 57 cartridges were not mentioned as being compatible.
    >>
    >> I got hold of a "Consumer Service Representative" who after consulting
    >> with
    >> her boss confirmed that 56 /57 carts would not work in a 4184 MFP.
    >>
    >> Now since the physical dimensions are the same the only way for the 56/57
    >> cartridges to fail to work would be if HP had programmed the machine to
    >> read the ID on the cartridges and then reject them.
    >>
    >> If true, I think this marks an extreme low point even for an industry
    >> already widely condemned for its cynical marketing methods. Meanwhile I
    >> have
    >> exchanged the 4184 for a Canon model but can anyone confirm my theory?

    > Its even worse than you realise. Not only do they read the cartridge ID
    > and refuse to use the higher capacity (and therefore cheaper) cartridges,
    > they also enforce an expiry date, and do not allow refilling of
    > cartridges.

    Thanks for those that posted helpful replies. It seems I was right to
    return it then.
    Seagull, Aug 27, 2007
  14. Seagull

    Geopelia Guest

    "Rob S" <Here@home> wrote in message news:46d2988d$...
    > Geopelia wrote:
    >> I have an hp psc 1315 all-in-one printer, scanner etc.
    >>
    >> I was surprised to find that the image zone needs discs which were not
    >> supplied with the machine. There was only the disc to start it and
    >> another the same for a mac.
    >>
    >> I'll have to fiind someone who sells these discs if I want to use Image
    >> Zone. I'm just using it as a printer at present.
    >>
    >> Geopelia

    > Geo,
    >
    > Image Zone is now called Photosmart Essential and is a free download from
    >
    >> http://www.hp.com/united-states/con...ree/software/index.html?jumpid=hpr_R1002_USEN

    > or tinyurl http://tinyurl.com/yzddmh (10 Mb download)
    >
    > --
    >
    > Rob
    > - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    > http://www.aspir8or.com
    > - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

    Thank you, I'll have a look at that. It asks me to insert the discs and
    doesn't mention Photosmart Essential.

    Geopelia
    Geopelia, Aug 27, 2007
  15. On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 20:49:19 +1200, Ross
    <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 18:12:33 +1200, Bobs
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>Printers are the biggest rip off to hit the technology market. EVeryone
    >>gets suckered into these awesome $150 printers that do wonders, only to
    >>find out that the ink lasts a week and the catridges costs more than
    >>your right nut.
    >>
    >>HP are the worst. They're the pits, and their printers are junk.

    >We got a Canon iP1600 on special for $35.
    >Now we are up for our first cartridge replacement. Either that, or we
    >look for another printer on special and throw this one out, LOL!

    Exactly!
    I purchased a new printer which cost me a whole US$24 on sale
    w/warranty. Replacement cartridges are reasonable.

    The alternative was: 4 cartridges at US$18 dollars odd each for an
    Epson which was the biggest piece of junk I have ever bought.

    Cath
    texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit...usacom.., Aug 27, 2007
  16. Seagull

    Allistar Guest

    Squiggle wrote:

    > Seagull wrote:
    >> Because I am unable to find Vista drivers for my 8 year old Canon
    >> printer, I decided (was forced) to buy a new printer-multifunction
    >> device.
    >>
    >> Now I am aware of the usual catch where you swallow the bait and buy a
    >> cheap printer today and then have pay extortionate ink prices later, so I
    >> did a little research and decided to buy an HP 4184.
    >>
    >> Now my son had an earlier model HP multifunction machine which used the
    >> same HP 21 and 22 cartridges and I was aware that there were also
    >> available higher capacity (and slightly more economical) cartridges
    >> Number HP 56 and 57.
    >>
    >> Now I assumed that since the physical dimensions were the same I would
    >> ultimately be able to save a little on ink costs by using the higher
    >> capacity cartridges so I went ahead and purchased a HP 4185. I read
    >> somewhere that 56/57 cartridges fitted HP4100 series printers.
    >>
    >> The first shock was that the cartridges fitted to the new unit were
    >> "introductory specials" and had the massive capacity of 3 mls each.
    >>
    >> The second shock was when a closer look at the manual indicated the 56
    >> and 57 cartridges were not mentioned as being compatible.
    >>
    >> I got hold of a "Consumer Service Representative" who after consulting
    >> with her boss confirmed that 56 /57 carts would not work in a 4184 MFP.
    >>
    >> Now since the physical dimensions are the same the only way for the 56/57
    >> cartridges to fail to work would be if HP had programmed the machine to
    >> read the ID on the cartridges and then reject them.
    >>
    >> If true, I think this marks an extreme low point even for an industry
    >> already widely condemned for its cynical marketing methods. Meanwhile I
    >> have exchanged the 4184 for a Canon model but can anyone confirm my
    >> theory?

    > Its even worse than you realise. Not only do they read the cartridge ID
    > and refuse to use the higher capacity (and therefore cheaper)
    > cartridges, they also enforce an expiry date, and do not allow refilling
    > of cartridges.

    There's nothing illegal (in NZ at least) about finding ways or circumventing
    that. There is no DMCA style laws here thankfully.

    Allistar.
    Allistar, Aug 28, 2007