    usb until it worked.

    User(and dept) now happy... no need to price up the new
    Hardware/software combo(~US$20k.)
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Dec 13, 2004

  2. Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > Dont you just hate it when someone has used a 3rd party util(as in not
    > MS made) to lock down Win95, and has then un-installed it leaving it
    > locked down, but changes must be made to the machine...
    > /rant

    There are still computers running Windows 95?! How do they use half of
    the websites available?

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock
    Nicholas Sherlock, Dec 13, 2004

  3. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Jay Guest

    "Nicholas Sherlock" <> wrote in message
    > Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >> Dont you just hate it when someone has used a 3rd party util(as in not MS
    >> made) to lock down Win95, and has then un-installed it leaving it locked
    >> down, but changes must be made to the machine...
    >> /rant

    > There are still computers running Windows 95?! How do they use half of the
    > websites available?
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Nicholas Sherlock

    By rendering the HTML (via the browser) that the server-side code produces.
    What bits would 95 miss out on?

    Jay
    Jay, Dec 13, 2004
  4. Nicholas Sherlock wrote:
    >> Dont you just hate it when someone has used a 3rd party util(as in not
    >> MS made) to lock down Win95, and has then un-installed it leaving it
    >> locked down, but changes must be made to the machine...
    >> /rant

    > There are still computers running Windows 95?! How do they use half of
    > the websites available?

    IE5.5 works on Windows 95 doesnt it?

    either way, most seem to work ok on it.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Dec 13, 2004
  5. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 20:14:26 +1300, in message
    <cpjfgj$bl1$>, Nicholas Sherlock wrote:

    > There are still computers running Windows 95?! How do they use half of
    > the websites available?

    Install a modern browser which runs on Win95.

    For example...

    http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php?id=ReleaseNotes082#requirements

    | System Requirements
    |
    | • Windows 95, 98, 98SE, ME, Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000,
    | Windows XP and Windows 2003 Server.
    | • 32 MB RAM minimum recommended.
    | • 5 MB of free hard drive space for download. 11 MB of free
    | hard disk space for full installation.

    You don't have to use the browser bundled with the OS (and FWIW
    the original release of Win95 did not include a browser at all).
    Ralph Fox, Dec 13, 2004
  6. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Adder Guest

    In article <> in
    nz.comp on Mon, 13 Dec 2004 08:53:50 +0000, Ralph Fox
    <-echo.invalid> says...
    > On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 20:14:26 +1300, in message
    > <cpjfgj$bl1$>, Nicholas Sherlock wrote:
    >
    > > There are still computers running Windows 95?! How do they use half of
    > > the websites available?

    > Install a modern browser which runs on Win95.
    >
    > For example...
    >
    > http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php?id=ReleaseNotes082#requirements
    >
    > | System Requirements
    > |
    > | • Windows 95, 98, 98SE, ME, Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000,
    > | Windows XP and Windows 2003 Server.
    > | • 32 MB RAM minimum recommended.
    > | • 5 MB of free hard drive space for download. 11 MB of free
    > | hard disk space for full installation.
    >

    > You don't have to use the browser bundled with the OS (and FWIW
    > the original release of Win95 did not include a browser at all).

    wrong, win 95 included internet explorer 1.0
    Adder, Dec 13, 2004
  7. Adder wrote:
    >>You don't have to use the browser bundled with the OS (and FWIW
    >>the original release of Win95 did not include a browser at all).

    > wrong, win 95 included internet explorer 1.0

    it did? any idea on the name of the exe file, as I can't find it on the
    win95 machine next to me.

    I know that win95-OSR2 came with IE3(or was it 4?)
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Dec 13, 2004
  8. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    AD. Guest

    On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 11:31:22 +1300, Adder wrote:

    > wrong, win 95 included internet explorer 1.0

    Nope - at that time IE 1 only came with the Win95 Plus Pack which cost
    money. One of the later OEM releases bundled IE3 though. And IE 2 was
    what came with NT 4.

    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., Dec 13, 2004
  9. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Bret Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > Adder wrote:
    >
    >>> You don't have to use the browser bundled with the OS (and FWIW
    >>> the original release of Win95 did not include a browser at all).

    >> wrong, win 95 included internet explorer 1.0

    > it did? any idea on the name of the exe file, as I can't find it on the
    > win95 machine next to me.
    >
    > I know that win95-OSR2 came with IE3(or was it 4?)

    That was 4, with the active desktop.
    Bret, Dec 14, 2004
  10. Ralph Fox wrote:
    > On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 20:14:26 +1300, in message
    > <cpjfgj$bl1$>, Nicholas Sherlock wrote:
    >

    >>There are still computers running Windows 95?! How do they use half of
    >>the websites available?

    > Install a modern browser which runs on Win95.

    Wow, I never knew that people still developed to target Windows 95! It
    misses out on some OS features that Windows 98 has, but the DLLs
    providing the functionality can normally be installed from Microsoft.

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock
    Nicholas Sherlock, Dec 14, 2004
  11. Bret wrote:

    >>> wrong, win 95 included internet explorer 1.0

    >> I know that win95-OSR2 came with IE3(or was it 4?)

    > That was 4, with the active desktop.

    thats right... heh, at lunchtime I saw an IE3 disk for sale for $20 at
    the local Cash Converters.

    I think it came with a trial of Golf or something.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Dec 14, 2004
  12. In article <Msrvd.27551$> in nz.comp on Tue, 14
    Dec 2004 14:36:44 +1300, Bret <> says...
    > Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > >> wrong, win 95 included internet explorer 1.0

    > > it did? any idea on the name of the exe file, as I can't find it on the
    > > win95 machine next to me.
    > >
    > > I know that win95-OSR2 came with IE3(or was it 4?)

    > That was 4, with the active desktop.

    No, it was not.

    IE4 was first shipped with Windows 98.

    IE3 was shipped with Office 97 and the later releases of Windows 95.

    I have a PC here with OSR2. First job to be done after installation:
    install IE4. It was not shipped with that version. I also remember
    installing what was then the preview release of IE 4 on our Windows 95
    machines at work.

    IE 1 shipped with the original retail edition of Windows 95. IIRC IE 2
    was shipped with service pack 1.

    --
    "Marriage is a lifelong covenant commitment between
    a man and a woman.

    This foundation provides the best possible
    environment to raise our children."

    http://www.maxim.org.nz/civilunions.html
    Patrick Dunford, Dec 14, 2004
  13. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    JohnO Guest

    > >> I know that win95-OSR2 came with IE3(or was it 4?)

    > > That was 4, with the active desktop.

    > thats right... heh, at lunchtime I saw an IE3 disk for sale for $20 at
    > the local Cash Converters.
    >
    > I think it came with a trial of Golf or something.

    I used to sometimes pop into CC for a laugh but soon stopped doing that.
    It's actually quite depressing that so many people can be that stupid that
    CC stay in business.
    JohnO, Dec 14, 2004
  14. JohnO wrote:
    >>thats right... heh, at lunchtime I saw an IE3 disk for sale for $20 at
    >>the local Cash Converters.

    >>I think it came with a trial of Golf or something.

    > I used to sometimes pop into CC for a laugh but soon stopped doing that.
    > It's actually quite depressing that so many people can be that stupid that
    > CC stay in business.

    I saw the same CD there ~3 years ago... not sure if it is the same exact
    CD, but I wouldn't be too surprised if it was.

    one of my friends used to work in a similar store in south
    auckland(dollar dealers?) and they used to make the money by ripping off
    those in the need of cash urgently. He has since changed into being a
    fairly respectful person, but when I first got to know him, he was dodgy
    as hell.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Dec 14, 2004
  15. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Bret Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    >>> I know that win95-OSR2 came with IE3(or was it 4?)

    >> That was 4, with the active desktop.

    > thats right... heh, at lunchtime I saw an IE3 disk for sale for $20 at
    > the local Cash Converters.
    >
    > I think it came with a trial of Golf or something.

    Collectors item LOL
    Bret, Dec 14, 2004
  16. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Bret Guest

    Patrick Dunford wrote:
    > In article <Msrvd.27551$> in nz.comp on Tue, 14
    > Dec 2004 14:36:44 +1300, Bret <> says...
    >
    >>Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    >>>it did? any idea on the name of the exe file, as I can't find it on the
    >>>win95 machine next to me.
    >>>
    >>>I know that win95-OSR2 came with IE3(or was it 4?)

    >>That was 4, with the active desktop.

    > No, it was not.

    Yes it was

    > IE4 was first shipped with Windows 98.

    No it did not.

    > IE3 was shipped with Office 97 and the later releases of Windows 95.
    >
    > I have a PC here with OSR2. First job to be done after installation:
    > install IE4. It was not shipped with that version. I also remember
    > installing what was then the preview release of IE 4 on our Windows 95
    > machines at work.

    OSR 2.5 with IE4 and active desktop update.

    > IE 1 shipped with the original retail edition of Windows 95. IIRC IE 2
    > was shipped with service pack 1.

    Not sure about that Patrick.
    Bret, Dec 14, 2004
  17. Bret wrote:
    >> thats right... heh, at lunchtime I saw an IE3 disk for sale for $20 at
    >> the local Cash Converters.

    >> I think it came with a trial of Golf or something.

    > Collectors item LOL

    doubt it... it's not worth the CD it was written(printed) on
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Dec 14, 2004
  18. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    AD. Guest

    AD., Dec 14, 2004
  19. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 11:31:22 +1300, in message
    <>, Adder wrote:

    > In article <> in
    > nz.comp on Mon, 13 Dec 2004 08:53:50 +0000, Ralph Fox
    > >
    > > You don't have to use the browser bundled with the OS (and FWIW
    > > the original release of Win95 did not include a browser at all).

    > wrong, win 95 included internet explorer 1.0

    No, not in the first release of Windows 95.

    You had to pay another $100 for the "Microsoft Plus" pack to get Internet Explorer.

    Windows 95 first release did included software to access "Microsoft Network",
    but "Microsoft Network" was not part of the Internet back then.

    Do some reading of Businessweek's archives: http://www.businessweek.com/1996/29/b34842.htm

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph

    "Light travels faster than sound. This is why
    some people appear bright until you hear them speak."
    Ralph Fox, Dec 14, 2004