    if your not happy. It was within the 14 day trial period. Their price
    was $45 lower than local stores so I went for it...I didn't realize it
    until I returned it about the policy. Be warned.
    baker1, Jan 6, 2006

  2. baker1

    Wake Up Guest

    So let me understand this.
    You bought a camera during the busy, peak holiday season. Now that
    the season is over, and during January and February wich is their
    lowest months in sales, they will have to try to sell your used camera
    on their shelves.

    The reason why they were $45 lower is because they do not charge on
    the back end for electronics returns. Ritz would have a higher price
    so for the other 9/10 people who DIDNT return the product, their extra
    price they paid would offset the lost in sales for returning a new
    unit.

    Economics. You took profit away from them on this item and now they
    should kiss your ass? Are you a union member or leader?

    Wake Up, Jan 6, 2006

  3. On Fri, 06 Jan 2006 01:00:37 GMT, baker1 <> wrote:

    >They charge a 15% restock fee. I bought a Canon SD550 and wanted to
    >return it. They kept 15%. What a rip. Even Ritz allows you to return
    >if your not happy. It was within the 14 day trial period. Their price
    >was $45 lower than local stores so I went for it...I didn't realize it
    >until I returned it about the policy. Be warned.

    You had to pay a 15% restocking fee at Circuit City...
    I had to pay a 100% Fvck You fee at Wal Mart. See my rant under:
    "Why I will never shop at Wal Mart again" or somesuch.

    I ended up buying a New Nikon at RITZ/WOLF CAMERA. Good price, good
    customer service ( excellent customer service ), and $50 worth of free
    accessories. RITZ/WOLF Camera. That was my *solution.* Go to a
    camera store to buy a camera. Satisfied customer now, but Wally World
    will remain on my $hit list forever, for selling me a broken camera,
    not even the correct camera for the box it was in, for $210 US. Wal
    Mart is _worse_ than Circuit City. Wal Mart is _under_ the bottom of
    the barrel...somewhere down there where it is hot and stinks.

    Lg
    Lawrence Glickman, Jan 6, 2006
  4. baker1

    baker1 Guest

    On Thu, 05 Jan 2006 19:49:54 -0600, Wake Up <> wrote:

    >So let me understand this.
    >You bought a camera during the busy, peak holiday season. Now that
    >the season is over, and during January and February wich is their
    >lowest months in sales, they will have to try to sell your used camera
    >on their shelves.
    >
    >The reason why they were $45 lower is because they do not charge on
    >the back end for electronics returns. Ritz would have a higher price
    >so for the other 9/10 people who DIDNT return the product, their extra
    >price they paid would offset the lost in sales for returning a new
    >unit.
    >
    >Economics. You took profit away from them on this item and now they
    >should kiss your ass? Are you a union member or leader?

    I don't see what the Christmas season has to do with it. If B&H or
    Adorama has $45 off during Christmas, their return policy is still the
    same, with no restock fee. What's your problem?
    baker1, Jan 6, 2006
  5. baker1

    Bob Guest

    "Lawrence Glickman" <> wrote in message
    [snip]
    > Go to a camera store to buy a camera. Satisfied customer now, but Wally
    > World
    > will remain on my $hit list forever, for selling me a broken camera,
    > not even the correct camera for the box it was in, for $210 US. Wal
    > Mart is _worse_ than Circuit City. Wal Mart is _under_ the bottom of
    > the barrel...somewhere down there where it is hot and stinks.
    >
    > Lg

    Yep, I agree. I got my 20D at a local camera shop. Their prices beat B+H (by
    a little).

    It had a stuck pixel in the LCD, and the manual warns that "a certain
    percentage of bad pixels in the LCD" is not considered a defect. The camera
    shop, however, said, "No problem, we'll replace it." No fuss, no muss.

    They will continue to get my business.

    Bob
    Bob, Jan 6, 2006
  6. baker1

    George Forum Guest

    Re: Don't buy a camera at Circuit City

    baker1 wrote:
    > They charge a 15% restock fee. I bought a Canon SD550 and wanted to
    > return it. They kept 15%. What a rip. Even Ritz allows you to return
    > if your not happy. It was within the 14 day trial period. Their price
    > was $45 lower than local stores so I went for it...I didn't realize it
    > until I returned it about the policy. Be warned.

    Part of the reason this happens is due to the people that find it
    acceptable practice and have not the balls to complain or even think it is
    an issue. You will see these people replying to such a post.
    George Forum, Jan 6, 2006
  7. In article <>, baker1
    <> wrote:

    > They charge a 15% restock fee. I bought a Canon SD550 and wanted to
    > return it. They kept 15%. What a rip. Even Ritz allows you to return
    > if your not happy. It was within the 14 day trial period. Their price
    > was $45 lower than local stores so I went for it...I didn't realize it
    > until I returned it about the policy. Be warned.

    It's getting to the point that you almost have to fill out a Q&A with a
    vendor before it's safe to do business with them; little hidden
    policies that really shaft the consumer.

    (Disclaimer: I think stores should be able to set any darn policy they
    want, up to and including no returns at all. But if the policy is at
    odds with "typical" consumer expectations, they should make VERY SURE
    to inform the customer fully.)

    Even worse are places like CompUSA, which has a policy of blacklisting
    consumers who do "too many" returns. That is, after a certain point
    they refuse to take returns from you at all. GOOD LUCK finding out
    before a purchase is you're on the blacklist.
    Scott Schuckert, Jan 6, 2006
  8. Re: Don't buy a camera at Circuit City

    In article <>, George Forum
    <> wrote:

    > baker1 wrote:
    > > They charge a 15% restock fee. I bought a Canon SD550 and wanted to
    > > return it. They kept 15%. What a rip. Even Ritz allows you to return
    > > if your not happy. It was within the 14 day trial period. Their price
    > > was $45 lower than local stores so I went for it...I didn't realize it
    > > until I returned it about the policy. Be warned.

    > Part of the reason this happens is due to the people that find it
    > acceptable practice and have not the balls to complain or even think it is
    > an issue. You will see these people replying to such a post.

    If that was tried on me, that would be the last dollar the store would
    EVER see of mine, and I'd let them know why. Unfortunately, modern
    marketing practice says it's cheaper to get another new customer than
    keep an existing one happy.
    Scott Schuckert, Jan 6, 2006
  9. baker1

    MaryL Guest

    "baker1" <> wrote in message
    > They charge a 15% restock fee. I bought a Canon SD550 and wanted to
    > return it. They kept 15%. What a rip. Even Ritz allows you to return
    > if your not happy. It was within the 14 day trial period. Their price
    > was $45 lower than local stores so I went for it...I didn't realize it
    > until I returned it about the policy. Be warned.

    This is becoming an increasingly common problem for all electronics (not
    just cameras), and sometimes for other products. You have to watch
    carefully for it because some stores do a better job of announcing that you
    have a right to return or exchange than you they do of announcing the
    "restocking fee" (when, in reality, there will probably be no "restocking"
    at all). Ironically, I just returned a portable DVD player to BestBuy.
    There would have been a restocking fee if I had bought it in the store, but
    there was no restocking fee because I had ordered it online (but the cost of
    shipping will sometimes offset the restocking fee).

    MaryL
    MaryL, Jan 6, 2006
  10. baker1

    Dave Cohen Guest

    "Scott Schuckert" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>, baker1
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> They charge a 15% restock fee. I bought a Canon SD550 and wanted to
    >> return it. They kept 15%. What a rip. Even Ritz allows you to return
    >> if your not happy. It was within the 14 day trial period. Their price
    >> was $45 lower than local stores so I went for it...I didn't realize it
    >> until I returned it about the policy. Be warned.

    > It's getting to the point that you almost have to fill out a Q&A with a
    > vendor before it's safe to do business with them; little hidden
    > policies that really shaft the consumer.
    >
    > (Disclaimer: I think stores should be able to set any darn policy they
    > want, up to and including no returns at all. But if the policy is at
    > odds with "typical" consumer expectations, they should make VERY SURE
    > to inform the customer fully.)
    >
    > Even worse are places like CompUSA, which has a policy of blacklisting
    > consumers who do "too many" returns. That is, after a certain point
    > they refuse to take returns from you at all. GOOD LUCK finding out
    > before a purchase is you're on the blacklist.

    Larry, Walmart do not refuse to take returns, you had a problem which is
    between you and Walmart. I can't comment on the restocking fee, I don't know
    Circuit City's return policy. It's reasonable if a customer changes his/her
    mind, but not if the product is defective and a one for one exchange is
    made. I've returned defective items to CompUsa and also had good luck on an
    extended service plan repair (the plan was free).
    Unfortunately a few people will by an item like a camera, particularly the
    movie type for a special event then return it. This even extends to
    specialty clothing. The restocking fee is an attempt to discourage this.
    Dave Cohen
    Dave Cohen, Jan 6, 2006
  11. Re: Don't buy a camera at Circuit City

    MaryL wrote:
    > "baker1" <> wrote in message
    >> They charge a 15% restock fee. I bought a Canon SD550 and wanted to
    >> return it. They kept 15%. What a rip. Even Ritz allows you to return
    >> if your not happy. It was within the 14 day trial period. Their price
    >> was $45 lower than local stores so I went for it...I didn't realize
    >> it until I returned it about the policy. Be warned.

    > This is becoming an increasingly common problem for all electronics
    > (not just cameras), and sometimes for other products. You have to
    > watch carefully for it because some stores do a better job of
    > announcing that you have a right to return or exchange than you they
    > do of announcing the "restocking fee" (when, in reality, there will
    > probably be no "restocking" at all). Ironically, I just returned a
    > portable DVD player to BestBuy. There would have been a restocking
    > fee if I had bought it in the store, but there was no restocking fee
    > because I had ordered it online (but the cost of shipping will
    > sometimes offset the restocking fee).
    > MaryL

    I think a restocking fee would be illegal for goods which were returned as
    faulty in the UK.

    But if you've bought something, and then 21 days later, decide you don't
    like the colour, what is the store supposed to do with that item? It
    can't be sold as new, so the profit on the item when (if) sold will be
    less. So it seems that a restocking fee is not unreasonable in those
    circumstances.

    I completely agree that whatever the policy is, that policy should be
    clear from the start.

    David
    David J Taylor, Jan 6, 2006
  12. baker1

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Scott Schuckert wrote:
    > In article <>, baker1
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> They charge a 15% restock fee. I bought a Canon SD550 and wanted to
    >> return it. They kept 15%. What a rip. Even Ritz allows you to return
    >> if your not happy. It was within the 14 day trial period. Their price
    >> was $45 lower than local stores so I went for it...I didn't realize it
    >> until I returned it about the policy. Be warned.

    > It's getting to the point that you almost have to fill out a Q&A with a
    > vendor before it's safe to do business with them; little hidden
    > policies that really shaft the consumer.
    >
    > (Disclaimer: I think stores should be able to set any darn policy they
    > want, up to and including no returns at all. But if the policy is at
    > odds with "typical" consumer expectations, they should make VERY SURE
    > to inform the customer fully.)
    >
    > Even worse are places like CompUSA, which has a policy of blacklisting
    > consumers who do "too many" returns. That is, after a certain point
    > they refuse to take returns from you at all. GOOD LUCK finding out
    > before a purchase is you're on the blacklist.

    I am sure that some customers abuse return policies, and I have little
    sympathy for them. It would be rather difficult for a person with good
    intentions to get on such a list. Those who routinely, and
    intentionally abuse return policies should be refused.
    Ron Hunter, Jan 6, 2006
  13. baker1

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Scott Schuckert wrote:
    > In article <>, George Forum
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> baker1 wrote:
    >>> They charge a 15% restock fee. I bought a Canon SD550 and wanted to
    >>> return it. They kept 15%. What a rip. Even Ritz allows you to return
    >>> if your not happy. It was within the 14 day trial period. Their price
    >>> was $45 lower than local stores so I went for it...I didn't realize it
    >>> until I returned it about the policy. Be warned.

    >> Part of the reason this happens is due to the people that find it
    >> acceptable practice and have not the balls to complain or even think it is
    >> an issue. You will see these people replying to such a post.
    >>

    > If that was tried on me, that would be the last dollar the store would
    > EVER see of mine, and I'd let them know why. Unfortunately, modern
    > marketing practice says it's cheaper to get another new customer than
    > keep an existing one happy.

    IF you were abusing the return policy enough to get on their list, do
    you really think they could CARE? They might hold a small celebration
    in the office....
    Ron Hunter, Jan 6, 2006
  14. baker1

    Mike Berger Guest

    Re: Don't buy a camera at Circuit City

    Conversely, most people won't buy an open-box item for the same price as
    new, and expect the store to absorb the loss.

    How do you think stores can afford to have a very liberal return policy
    but not charge a restocking fee for the returned items which they have
    to sell at a discount? And how do you discourage people from buying
    something, returning it, and then picking it back up the next day at
    a 15% discount for being an open box item?

    Mike Berger, Jan 6, 2006
  15. baker1

    Mike Berger Guest

    Re: Don't buy a camera at Circuit City

    The store can waive the restocking fee at their discretion, and I
    rarely see it charged at our local Circuit City. Maybe the OP has
    a more extensive return history.

    Mike Berger, Jan 6, 2006
  16. baker1

    Mike Berger Guest

    You probably don't need to know the exact threshold to guess whether
    or not you're likely to be targeted. It's not like people who make
    an occasional return get on the list. You have to be fairly active.

    Mike Berger, Jan 6, 2006
  17. "Scott Schuckert" <> wrote in message
    > (Disclaimer: I think stores should be able to set any darn policy they
    > want, up to and including no returns at all. But if the policy is at
    > odds with "typical" consumer expectations, they should make VERY SURE
    > to inform the customer fully.)

    Some (most? all?) states require the policy to be posted. People just don't
    take the time to read. Look on the wall behind the service desk in many
    places.
    Edwin Pawlowski, Jan 6, 2006
  18. baker1

    Kinon O'cann Guest

    "baker1" <> wrote in message
    > They charge a 15% restock fee. I bought a Canon SD550 and wanted to
    > return it. They kept 15%. What a rip. Even Ritz allows you to return
    > if your not happy. It was within the 14 day trial period. Their price
    > was $45 lower than local stores so I went for it...I didn't realize it
    > until I returned it about the policy. Be warned.

    Circuit city gives you all the warnings you need if you read the agreement
    you get when you purchase the product. This is a common practice, clearly
    described, and legally implemented.
    Kinon O'cann, Jan 7, 2006
  19. baker1

    HornBlower Guest

    Re: Don't buy a camera at Circuit City

    The best thing to do with stores and companies that charge a restocking fee
    is to break the item. Something small and they will then not charge the
    restocking fee. Most of the business do restocking fees because they get
    tired of Joe Sickpack buying a digitial camera, going on vacation and then
    returning it when it gets back. The same with printers. Peopel buy them use
    the ink and return them. Lap tops too. Students buy them and use them for
    thesis and then return them when done. If people were more honest it
    wouldn't happen. So the stores and companies then basically force more
    people to be dishonest which is why you have to break something that was
    otherwise in fine shape, one just didn't like it.

    Stores would do better too with returns if they had the things setup so you
    could really test them out and try them. But, they expect you to take the
    sales twits word for things and then get pissy when you want to return it
    because it didn't live up to the sales twits promisses or the promises made
    by the company in ads and on their web site.

    HornBlower, Jan 7, 2006
  20. Re: Don't buy a camera at Circuit City

    In article <43bf4460$1$58039$>,
    "HornBlower" <> wrote:

    > The best thing to do with stores and companies that charge a restocking fee
    > is to break the item. Something small and they will then not charge the
    > restocking fee. Most of the business do restocking fees because they get
    > tired of Joe Sickpack buying a digitial camera, going on vacation and then
    > returning it when it gets back. The same with printers. Peopel buy them use
    > the ink and return them. Lap tops too. Students buy them and use them for
    > thesis and then return them when done. If people were more honest it
    > wouldn't happen. So the stores and companies then basically force more
    > people to be dishonest which is why you have to break something that was
    > otherwise in fine shape, one just didn't like it.
    >
    > Stores would do better too with returns if they had the things setup so you
    > could really test them out and try them. But, they expect you to take the
    > sales twits word for things and then get pissy when you want to return it
    > because it didn't live up to the sales twits promisses or the promises made
    > by the company in ads and on their web site.

    Can sales "twits spell"....you know things LIKE "PEOPLE".

    --
    Would thou choose to meet a rat eating dragon, or
    a dragon, eating rat? The answer of: I am somewhere
    Little Green Eyed Dragon, Jan 7, 2006