/rant CRAP ADSL /rant

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by XPD, Apr 25, 2007.

  1. XPD

    XPD Guest

    Ever since the ADSL outage the other day, my net has been absolutely f*****g
    s**t
    My ISP dosent give a toss.
    MSN dying every 2 minutes.
    Download rates have dropped by 50%.
    Cant stream anything.
    Browsing is a joke.
    My ISP dosent give a toss.

    On the plus side, my connection rate appears to have improved by 500k - pity
    I cant use it.

    BTW, did I mention my ISP dosent give a toss ?

    Yes this is probably a pointless and useless rant but I dont care - just
    like my ISP.
    Flame away.
    XPD, Apr 25, 2007
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. XPD

    Shane Guest

    XPD wrote:

    > Ever since the ADSL outage the other day, my net has been absolutely
    > f*****g s**t
    > My ISP dosent give a toss.
    > MSN dying every 2 minutes.
    > Download rates have dropped by 50%.
    > Cant stream anything.
    > Browsing is a joke.
    > My ISP dosent give a toss.
    >
    > On the plus side, my connection rate appears to have improved by 500k -
    > pity I cant use it.
    >
    > BTW, did I mention my ISP dosent give a toss ?
    >
    > Yes this is probably a pointless and useless rant but I dont care - just
    > like my ISP.
    > Flame away.


    Im seeing a lot of dropouts here, which gives me similar symptoms. To the
    point iHug are about to put in a ticket with Telecom to get my lines
    checked.
    No doubt you have watched for connection dropouts as well?


    --
    Q: Why do mathematicians often confuse Christmas and Halloween?
    A: Because Oct 31 = Dec 25.
    Shane, Apr 25, 2007
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. XPD

    Enkidu Guest

    XPD wrote:
    > Ever since the ADSL outage the other day, my net has been absolutely f*****g
    > s**t
    > My ISP dosent give a toss.
    > MSN dying every 2 minutes.
    > Download rates have dropped by 50%.
    > Cant stream anything.
    > Browsing is a joke.
    > My ISP dosent give a toss.
    >
    > On the plus side, my connection rate appears to have improved by 500k - pity
    > I cant use it.
    >
    > BTW, did I mention my ISP dosent give a toss ?
    >
    > Yes this is probably a pointless and useless rant but I dont care - just
    > like my ISP.
    > Flame away.
    >

    I'd suspect flaky ADSL modems. Try powering it off and leaving it off
    for about 20 minutes. That lets your end and the Telecom end both reset.

    I've only ever experienced dropouts when I used a USR ADSL modem. Now
    USR are a good analog modem manufacturer - I'd recommend a USR analog
    modems over any other. However, I'm suspicious of USR ADSL modems. On
    this line I've have Nokia M1122s and couple of DSL and D-Link ADSL
    modems with zero problems. But the USR would just not work.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    --

    Have you ever noticed that if something is advertised as 'amusing' or
    'hilarious', it usually isn't?
    Enkidu, Apr 25, 2007
    #3
  4. XPD

    whoisthis Guest

    In article <462ea5f3$>,
    Enkidu <> wrote:

    > XPD wrote:
    > > Ever since the ADSL outage the other day, my net has been absolutely
    > > f*****g
    > > s**t
    > > My ISP dosent give a toss.
    > > MSN dying every 2 minutes.
    > > Download rates have dropped by 50%.
    > > Cant stream anything.
    > > Browsing is a joke.
    > > My ISP dosent give a toss.
    > >
    > > On the plus side, my connection rate appears to have improved by 500k -
    > > pity
    > > I cant use it.
    > >
    > > BTW, did I mention my ISP dosent give a toss ?
    > >
    > > Yes this is probably a pointless and useless rant but I dont care - just
    > > like my ISP.
    > > Flame away.
    > >

    > I'd suspect flaky ADSL modems. Try powering it off and leaving it off
    > for about 20 minutes. That lets your end and the Telecom end both reset.
    >
    >
    > Cliff


    Also check the power supply. I have had one ADSL modem supplied with a
    9v plug pack where it needed a 12v plug pack. No idea how it got the
    wrong one, but once we put the right on on it it never missed a beat.
    whoisthis, Apr 25, 2007
    #4
  5. XPD

    XPD Guest

    "Shane" <-a-geek.net> wrote in message
    news:f0m4ek$vad$...
    >
    > Im seeing a lot of dropouts here, which gives me similar symptoms. To the
    > point iHug are about to put in a ticket with Telecom to get my lines
    > checked.
    > No doubt you have watched for connection dropouts as well?


    Havent been home enough lately to keep eye on how often its happening - will
    be checking router logs.
    XPD, Apr 25, 2007
    #5
  6. XPD

    XPD Guest

    "Enkidu" <> wrote in message
    news:462ea5f3$...

    > I'd suspect flaky ADSL modems. Try powering it off and leaving it off for
    > about 20 minutes. That lets your end and the Telecom end both reset.
    >
    > I've only ever experienced dropouts when I used a USR ADSL modem. Now USR
    > are a good analog modem manufacturer - I'd recommend a USR analog modems
    > over any other. However, I'm suspicious of USR ADSL modems. On this line
    > I've have Nokia M1122s and couple of DSL and D-Link ADSL modems with zero
    > problems. But the USR would just not work.


    I do have a 3Com router, but dont think thats the fault as its only started
    happening since the last big Telecom screw up :)
    If I get desperate, Ill try the Dynalink one I have kicking around.

    D-Link stuff I wont touch - their Wifi stuff is dodgy as hell IMHO and their
    standard modem/router units are touch and go.
    XPD, Apr 25, 2007
    #6
  7. XPD

    XPD Guest

    "whoisthis" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >
    > Also check the power supply. I have had one ADSL modem supplied with a
    > 9v plug pack where it needed a 12v plug pack. No idea how it got the
    > wrong one, but once we put the right on on it it never missed a beat.


    Nah, using correct power and been running way too long now without issues
    for it to be the wrong adaptor :p
    XPD, Apr 25, 2007
    #7
  8. XPD

    XPD Guest

    "XPD" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Ever since the ADSL outage the other day, my net has been absolutely
    > f*****g s**t
    > My ISP dosent give a toss.
    > MSN dying every 2 minutes.
    > Download rates have dropped by 50%.
    > Cant stream anything.
    > Browsing is a joke.
    > My ISP dosent give a toss.


    Just to add....

    International has been shite all day. 30% packet loss etc.
    So I call Woosh - network status states there is a known problem - "Cool,
    theyll have it sorted soon....hmm wonder when that message was put on" -
    press 1 for a CSR -
    "Yeah just wondering when the international traffic issue will be resolved"
    "Oh that will be tomorrow"
    "No, the current international outage"
    "Yeah thats being looked at tomorrow"
    "Excuse me ???"
    "Well it is Anzac day so we dont have anyone on to fix it"
    "Umm... k... thanks."
    XPD, Apr 25, 2007
    #8
  9. XPD

    EMB Guest

    XPD wrote:

    > I do have a 3Com router, but dont think thats the fault as its only started
    > happening since the last big Telecom screw up :)


    The 3Com in one of my businesses is rock solid - a quick check of the
    logs show an average uptime of over 7 days.
    EMB, Apr 25, 2007
    #9
  10. XPD

    Enkidu Guest

    XPD wrote:
    > "Enkidu" <> wrote in message
    > news:462ea5f3$...
    >
    >> I'd suspect flaky ADSL modems. Try powering it off and leaving it off for
    >> about 20 minutes. That lets your end and the Telecom end both reset.
    >>
    >> I've only ever experienced dropouts when I used a USR ADSL modem. Now USR
    >> are a good analog modem manufacturer - I'd recommend a USR analog modems
    >> over any other. However, I'm suspicious of USR ADSL modems. On this line
    >> I've have Nokia M1122s and couple of DSL and D-Link ADSL modems with zero
    >> problems. But the USR would just not work.

    >
    > I do have a 3Com router, but dont think thats the fault as its only started
    > happening since the last big Telecom screw up :)
    > If I get desperate, Ill try the Dynalink one I have kicking around.
    >
    > D-Link stuff I wont touch - their Wifi stuff is dodgy as hell IMHO and their
    > standard modem/router units are touch and go.
    >

    That's not my experience of D-Links. The ones I've used have been solid
    and my current 604's wireless is flawless. But I may be lucky with
    D-Link and unlucky with USR.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    --

    Have you ever noticed that if something is advertised as 'amusing' or
    'hilarious', it usually isn't?
    Enkidu, Apr 25, 2007
    #10
  11. XPD

    Shane Guest

    XPD wrote:

    >
    > "Shane" <-a-geek.net> wrote in message
    > news:f0m4ek$vad$...
    >>
    >> Im seeing a lot of dropouts here, which gives me similar symptoms. To
    >> the point iHug are about to put in a ticket with Telecom to get my lines
    >> checked.
    >> No doubt you have watched for connection dropouts as well?

    >
    > Havent been home enough lately to keep eye on how often its happening -
    > will be checking router logs.


    I have just had iHug on the phone, telling me its my router. Their logs
    say "User requested disconnection"
    However I had a good look at the log they sent me (big ups tohelpdesk, even
    though they probably thought it would smokescreen me, and shut me up for a
    while)
    *Everyday* for at least the last two months I am getting a massive amount of
    dropouts (nothing surprising yet I hear you say)
    The surprising thing is, I looked at the logs and the dropouts occur *only*
    between around 5:30 pm to around 6:30 am in the morning, then I get an
    *excellent* connection from 6:30 ish am to 5:30 pm.. ish

    In my mind theres no way in hades thats a hardware fault, nor, as they
    suggested, something like Outlook express on my system sending disconnects.
    They are putting a something on the line as we speak, however I dont think
    they will find the problem.
    The only way I can think of is some other users of the exchange/roadside
    cabinet/etc disconnect from the net at around 6:30 in the morning, and
    bugger off to work. Then flick back on at half 5 in the evening.
    Except, my issue is 7 days a week...


    --
    Q: What did the constipated mathematician do?
    A: He worked it out with a pencil!
    Shane, Apr 26, 2007
    #11
  12. XPD

    XPD Guest

    "XPD" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >
    > "XPD" <> wrote in message International has
    > been shite all day. 30% packet loss etc.
    > So I call Woosh - network status states there is a known problem - "Cool,
    > theyll have it sorted soon....hmm wonder when that message was put on" -
    > press 1 for a CSR -
    > "Yeah just wondering when the international traffic issue will be
    > resolved"
    > "Oh that will be tomorrow"
    > "No, the current international outage"
    > "Yeah thats being looked at tomorrow"
    > "Excuse me ???"
    > "Well it is Anzac day so we dont have anyone on to fix it"
    > "Umm... k... thanks."



    Yay for Woosh - still no international (well there is, but my 14.4k modem
    could bring up sites faster)
    XPD, Apr 26, 2007
    #12
  13. XPD

    XPD Guest

    "XPD" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >
    > International has been shite all day. 30% packet loss etc.
    > So I call Woosh - network status states there is a known problem - "Cool,
    > theyll have it sorted soon....hmm wonder when that message was put on" -
    > press 1 for a CSR -
    > "Yeah just wondering when the international traffic issue will be
    > resolved"
    > "Oh that will be tomorrow"
    > "No, the current international outage"
    > "Yeah thats being looked at tomorrow"
    > "Excuse me ???"
    > "Well it is Anzac day so we dont have anyone on to fix it"
    > "Umm... k... thanks."
    >
    >
    >


    Been well over 24hrs now..... and still same problem. Network status page
    dosent mention the fault but their phone system does. But cant get hold of
    anyone to ask when the hell its gonna be fixed.

    Bye Woosh, you can go get f****d. Had enough of your crap service.
    XPD, Apr 26, 2007
    #13
  14. Re: /rant CRAP ADSL /rant

    On Apr 26, 9:21 am, Enkidu <> wrote:
    > XPD wrote:
    > > "Enkidu" <> wrote in message
    > >news:462ea5f3$...

    >
    > >> I'd suspect flaky ADSL modems. Try powering it off and leaving it off for
    > >> about 20 minutes. That lets your end and the Telecom end both reset.

    >
    > >> I've only ever experienced dropouts when I used a USR ADSL modem. Now USR
    > >> are a good analog modem manufacturer - I'd recommend a USR analog modems
    > >> over any other. However, I'm suspicious of USR ADSL modems. On this line
    > >> I've have Nokia M1122s and couple of DSL and D-Link ADSL modems with zero
    > >> problems. But the USR would just not work.

    >
    > > I do have a 3Com router, but dont think thats the fault as its only started
    > > happening since the last big Telecom screw up :)
    > > If I get desperate, Ill try the Dynalink one I have kicking around.

    >
    > > D-Link stuff I wont touch - their Wifi stuff is dodgy as hell IMHO and their
    > > standard modem/router units are touch and go.

    >
    > That's not my experience of D-Links. The ones I've used have been solid
    > and my current 604's wireless is flawless. But I may be lucky with
    > D-Link and unlucky with USR.


    I'll second that. Have a D-Link 604T and it goes fine. Ocassionally do
    have to reset it but that's always as a result of Network upgrades and
    so on. Have got several of my friends to put these on their ADSL
    instead of the free single modem unit with no firewall that Telecom
    give away with new ADSL installs, and they've had no problems with
    them.

    Regards
    Peter Jenkins
    see http://www.sensiblesentencing.org.nz

    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff
    >
    > --
    >
    > Have you ever noticed that if something is advertised as 'amusing' or
    > 'hilarious', it usually isn't?
    Peter Jenkins, Apr 26, 2007
    #14
  15. Re: /rant CRAP ADSL /rant

    Peter Jenkins <> wrote:

    > I'll second that. Have a D-Link 604T and it goes fine. Ocassionally do
    > have to reset it but that's always as a result of Network upgrades and
    > so on. Have got several of my friends to put these on their ADSL
    > instead of the free single modem unit with no firewall that Telecom
    > give away with new ADSL installs, and they've had no problems with
    > them.
    >
    > Regards
    > Peter Jenkins


    NO firewall? Oh that's a bad idea. What on earth are they giving away
    nowadays?

    Regards,
    Jamie Kahn Genet
    --
    If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.
    Jamie Kahn Genet, Apr 26, 2007
    #15
  16. XPD

    Chris Lim Guest

    Re: /rant CRAP ADSL /rant

    On Apr 25, 12:01 pm, "XPD" <> wrote:
    > Ever since the ADSL outage the other day, my net has been absolutely f*****g
    > s**t
    > My ISP dosent give a toss.
    > MSN dying every 2 minutes.
    > Download rates have dropped by 50%.
    > Cant stream anything.
    > Browsing is a joke.
    > My ISP dosent give a toss.


    I haven't experienced problems as bad as yours, but I've definitely
    noticed that for the last few weeks I'm having to reset my router on a
    daily basis (previously was only once or twice a week). Interestingly
    I don't lose complete connectivity when this happens, torrents seem to
    continue working but web access, MSN etc don't. I suspect it's the DNS
    that's stuffed but haven't confirmed that. I'm with xtra btw.
    Chris Lim, Apr 27, 2007
    #16
  17. XPD

    Bruce Knox Guest

    On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 11:01:47 +1200, "XPD"
    <> wrote:

    >Ever since the ADSL outage the other day, my net has been absolutely f*****g
    >s**t
    >My ISP dosent give a toss.
    >MSN dying every 2 minutes.
    >Download rates have dropped by 50%.
    >Cant stream anything.
    >Browsing is a joke.
    >My ISP dosent give a toss.
    >
    >On the plus side, my connection rate appears to have improved by 500k - pity
    >I cant use it.
    >
    >BTW, did I mention my ISP dosent give a toss ?
    >
    >Yes this is probably a pointless and useless rant but I dont care - just
    >like my ISP.
    >Flame away.
    >

    Sorry to be picky but you subject line finishes ranting twice without
    ever starting a rant ;-)

    By the way http://www.internettrafficreport.com/main.htm rates
    australasia at 67 at the moment. About as low as I have seen it.

    Bruce http://www.baggins.co.nz
    http://physio.otago.ac.nz
    Bruce Knox, Apr 27, 2007
    #17
  18. XPD

    Enkidu Guest

    Re: /rant CRAP ADSL /rant

    Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
    > Peter Jenkins <> wrote:
    >
    >> I'll second that. Have a D-Link 604T and it goes fine. Ocassionally do
    >> have to reset it but that's always as a result of Network upgrades and
    >> so on. Have got several of my friends to put these on their ADSL
    >> instead of the free single modem unit with no firewall that Telecom
    >> give away with new ADSL installs, and they've had no problems with
    >> them.
    >>
    >> Regards
    >> Peter Jenkins

    >
    > NO firewall? Oh that's a bad idea. What on earth are they giving away
    > nowadays?
    >

    It's a mutilated DSL-604 or 504 I believe. I've seen instructions
    somewhere for reloading the standard setup.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    --

    Have you ever noticed that if something is advertised as 'amusing' or
    'hilarious', it usually isn't?
    Enkidu, Apr 27, 2007
    #18
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Guest
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    620
    Peter
    Jan 23, 2007
  2. Guest
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    485
    Guest
    Jan 23, 2007
  3. Guest
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    417
  4. T.N.O.

    spam increasing? <rant></rant>

    T.N.O., Nov 19, 2003, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    9
    Views:
    451
    T.N.O.
    Nov 21, 2003
  5. Wog George

    Google Chrome - Crap or Crap??

    Wog George, Jan 4, 2009, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    4,921
    O-Cyanovinyl-Hydroxypiperidino-FluorophenolPhenyl-
    Jan 4, 2009
Loading...

Share This Page