Range on a pair of Belkin 54G routers in wireless bridge mode?

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Bill Evans, Feb 2, 2005.

  1. Bill Evans

    Bill Evans Guest

    What's the expected range on a pair of Belkin 54G routers in wireless bridge
    mode?

    I've seen someone mention on at least one web tech support forum that they
    were having troubles staying connected 100% of the time, but they then went
    on to say that they were trying to bridge 400 feet, from one building to
    another building. Can I expect similar results?

    What frequencies are used in Belkin's bridge-to-bridge mode? I assume it
    may not be standard because Belkin's bridge mode only works with other
    Belkin WAP's.

    Also can I replace one of the stock omni-directional antennas with a
    cantenna to use along the bridge line of sight? If the bridge mode
    frequency is different than standard 802.11b's 2.412 GHz or so, I'll need to
    know that to calculate my can radius and quarter-wavelength distance, yada
    yada yada...

    --
    bill evans

    Hartselle, AL

    Freeman Dyson: "It's best not to limit our thinking. We can always
    air-condition the Earth."

    Bill Evans, Feb 2, 2005

  2. >> What's the expected range on a pair of Belkin 54G routers in
    wireless bridge mode? <<

    Depends on a number of factors such as antenna type and configuration as
    well as materials the signal must pass through.

    The generally "posted" range is 100 meters (330 feet) but the real world
    normally provides around 100 feet of "acceptable" range if there are no
    problems and that is normally "lobed" where the signal is stronger in
    certain directions from the transmitter vs others.

    The best way to check is to monitor the signal strength as you move
    around with a pocketpc or laptop, but you need to also take into
    consideration that most signal strength displays have a time delay and
    that the strenght will be variable due to the position of the antenna on
    the device (card) orientation. You can observe this by finding a spot
    with about 50% strength and slowly rotating the device horizontally and
    then vertically while monitoring the strength.

    >> frequencies <<

    Would assume that they would be listed in the specifications. There
    could also be other ways to restrict them to Belkin devices... am
    clueless on this question.

    >> cantenna <<

    These are _very_ directional depending on their construction... a good
    cantenna can establish and hold a connection with a device multiple
    miles away but the reception angle is going to be small... perhaps
    single digit or even less degree widths.

    My experience with a good cantenna aimed at the middle of a football
    field a block away you might have good reception the width of the field,
    but then you have to take any material such as the construction of the
    seating that might be in the way into consideration as well.

    Cabling is also critical... the thin cables attached to external
    antennas are normally the max possible length, so it is necessary to
    switch to very thick (~1/2") coax for longer runs.

    Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]

    Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev], Feb 2, 2005

  3. Bill Evans

    Jack Guest

    Hi

    Wireless range is heavily depending on envioroment.

    If two directional Antennae are used, there is clear line of sight, and the
    Antennae are high enough to compensate for the Fresnel zone 400 feet is a
    feasible range.

    Wireless can be configured to different modes; none of the Mode changes the
    technical aspect of the 802.11x. I.e. Frequency Channels etc, stay the same.

    See here about Modes: http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Modes.html

    And Bridging: http://www.ezlan.net/bridging1.html

    If an Antenna is removable it can be replaced with a directional Antenna
    (like Cantenna) make sure you get right pigtail since not all Antennae plugs
    are the same.

    You should take into consideration that 2.4GHz coax cable cause very fast RF
    deterioration. I.e. if the Antenna has to be placed in a spot that is about
    more than 10' away from the Access Point you need to Install the APs on the
    Antennae in the same spot and run CAT5e down to your Network source. All of
    this must be adequately protected from the Weather elements, other wise one
    lighting storm and ""your are back to the Future"".

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack, Feb 2, 2005
  4. >> and the Antennae are high enough to... <<

    Interesting side note... high may not be best.

    I originally assumed that high would be best and installed the ap on the
    third story... range was less than my initial tests on the first floor
    had shown.

    More tests seemed to indicate that the high location increased the
    "slant distance" and reduced the max reception distance on the ground.

    Ended up with the AP on the ground floor directly under the highest part
    of the house which ultimately provided the best coverage in and outside
    of the building.

    Beverly Howard

    Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev], Feb 2, 2005
  5. Bill Evans

    Jack Guest

    Hi Beverly.
    Hi Beverly.

    A given Pattern of an Antenna emission might behave differently in various
    environments.

    While your notion of Height might be valid when it comes to installations
    that are primarily Indoor.

    400feet a part is a different story.

    Beside the general Fresnel consideration, 2.4GHz is the Microwave band, it
    likes to be absorbed by water molecule. As a reult in longer distance the
    closer it is to the ground the more rapidly it declines.

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    message news:#...

    Jack, Feb 3, 2005
  6. >> absorbed by water molecule. As a reult in longer distance the
    closer it is to the ground the more rapidly it declines <<

    Ahhh... that explains it... normally, not much water in the Central
    Texas soil ;-)

    Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]

    Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev], Feb 3, 2005