    I would of thought it would of been further than that, I heard GSM which I
    know is totally different has a top range of like 20kms or something.
    Anyone know what range its designed to cover? (distance wise)

    Carl Elphick, May 8, 2004

  2. Carl Elphick

    Frank Sams Guest

    CDMA and WCDMA have a realistic coverage of 160kms from the base station...
    Doubt if you get that real world.
    The good range of CDMA standards is the reason Telstra in Aussie run a GSM
    and CDMA network
    GSM other TDMA Standards are 30-36kms

    Frank Sams, May 8, 2004

  3. Carl Elphick

    Carl Elphick Guest

    "Frank Sams" <> wrote in message
    > CDMA and WCDMA have a realistic coverage of 160kms from the base

    station...
    > Doubt if you get that real world.
    > The good range of CDMA standards is the reason Telstra in Aussie run a GSM
    > and CDMA network
    > GSM other TDMA Standards are 30-36kms

    Interesting that, Woosh in some areas must be using pretty small antenna's
    or something for coverage to be so limited to a small area.
    I was thinking if they could say put a cellsite on top of Mt Vic down here
    in Wellington that it would surely cover a fairly big area!

    Carl Elphick, May 8, 2004
  4. Carl Elphick

    Don Gould Guest

    How does this technology work?

    How much data can be delivered into each cell area given the channel
    space and freq range it's using?

    Cheers Don

    Don Gould, May 8, 2004
  5. Carl Elphick

    Carl Elphick Guest

    "Don Gould" <> wrote in message
    > How does this technology work?
    >
    > How much data can be delivered into each cell area given the channel
    > space and freq range it's using?

    Uses Wide-Band CDMA (WCDMA), around the 2ghz frequency.
    Have a look at www.ipwireless.com for the technology used. I noticed when
    looking earlier there is a new version of the IPwireless modem out now.

    Carl Elphick, May 8, 2004
  6. "Carl Elphick" <> wrote:

    > Was looking at Woosh's plans to bring wireless to Wellington, when testing
    > adresses on the site it almost appears 1 cellsite is only going to cover
    > like 1 city block!!
    > I would of thought it would of been further than that, I heard GSM which I
    > know is totally different has a top range of like 20kms or something.
    > Anyone know what range its designed to cover? (distance wise)

    See my thread above about the black holes in AKL coverage.
    Apparently they worked on the theory of put one in, see how far it goes,
    when the traffic load & black spots get too high start filling in the
    gaps.

    More discerning clientele in WN ;-) so they are starting a bit
    cautious...

    "Frank Sams" <> claimed:
    > CDMA and WCDMA have a realistic coverage of 160kms from the base station...

    ^^^^^^^
    > Doubt if you get that real world.

    ^^^^

    now which real is this?
    160kms would happen on smooth surface when the antenna is ~7000 ft high
    (someone with the calculator will give us the precise figure...)

    I can walk around inside my house and get passed between 7 GSM cells.
    I can see 4 of the antennae, between 3 & 5km distant, the other 3 are
    all inside 2km distance but definitely non-line-of-sight.

    J.Random Luser, May 9, 2004
  7. "Carl Elphick" <> wrote in message
    > Was looking at Woosh's plans to bring wireless to Wellington, when testing
    > adresses on the site it almost appears 1 cellsite is only going to cover
    > like 1 city block!!
    > I would of thought it would of been further than that, I heard GSM which I
    > know is totally different has a top range of like 20kms or something.
    > Anyone know what range its designed to cover? (distance wise)

    Any hints as to which parts of the city (CBD?) are being covered by Woosh
    and when?

    Nathan Mercer, May 10, 2004