RANDRECO.EXE = Still there & ain't leaving!

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Daniel, Dec 21, 2004.

  1. Daniel

    Daniel Guest

    Now that I've had this for about 2 months, I'm still having this same
    problem of this RANDRECO.EXE which is still there & NOT going anywhere!

    Hijackthis Internet Explorer utility finds NOTHING!
    SpyBot Search & Destroy finds NOTHING!
    AdAware finds NOTHING!
    AVG (latest update) doesn't even know it exists (& finds nothing else but
    some Java bug/security flaw which the program is worthless against as it
    says it's a virus but then does nothing to get rid of it or tell what needs
    done)!
    Searching Google says that it does exist but asks me to delete files I've
    NEVER had & registry entries which have never been there.

    Any further ideas? (IE is crashing allot more lately too.)

    There are 10 types of people in this world...
    ....those who understand binary & those who don't.

    Daniel, Dec 21, 2004

  2. Daniel

    samuel Guest

    "Daniel" <daniel_h_wATyyahooDOTccom> wrote in

    > Now that I've had this for about 2 months, I'm still having
    > this same problem of this RANDRECO.EXE which is still there &
    > NOT going anywhere!
    >
    > Hijackthis Internet Explorer utility finds NOTHING!
    > SpyBot Search & Destroy finds NOTHING!
    > AdAware finds NOTHING!
    > AVG (latest update) doesn't even know it exists (& finds
    > nothing else but some Java bug/security flaw which the program
    > is worthless against as it says it's a virus but then does
    > nothing to get rid of it or tell what needs done)!
    > Searching Google says that it does exist but asks me to delete
    > files I've NEVER had & registry entries which have never been
    > there.
    >
    > Any further ideas? (IE is crashing allot more lately too.)

    maybe
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=BetterInet&btnG=Google Search

    groups
    alt.comp.anti-virus
    alt.privacy.spyware

    samuel, Dec 21, 2004

  3. Daniel wrote:
    > Now that I've had this for about 2 months, I'm still having this same
    > problem of this RANDRECO.EXE which is still there & NOT going anywhere!
    >
    > Hijackthis Internet Explorer utility finds NOTHING!
    > SpyBot Search & Destroy finds NOTHING!
    > AdAware finds NOTHING!
    > AVG (latest update) doesn't even know it exists (& finds nothing else but
    > some Java bug/security flaw which the program is worthless against as it
    > says it's a virus but then does nothing to get rid of it or tell what needs
    > done)!
    > Searching Google says that it does exist but asks me to delete files I've
    > NEVER had & registry entries which have never been there.
    >
    > Any further ideas? (IE is crashing allot more lately too.)

    Daniel, I don't still have your previous posts at the ready, have you
    tried other AV programs? If it were me, I'd use them all until the
    infection is gone. Do a Google search for "online virus" and you'll see
    quite a few free AV online scanners. Trend Housecall, Panda,
    BitDefender, RAV among them. There are also trial versions of several
    "for pay" AV programs that you can use and then either buy or uninstall.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Dec 21, 2004
  4. Daniel

    Daniel Guest

    "samuel" <> wrote in message
    > "Daniel" <daniel_h_wATyyahooDOTccom> wrote in
    >
    > > Now that I've had this for about 2 months, I'm still having
    > > this same problem of this RANDRECO.EXE which is still there &
    > > NOT going anywhere!
    > >
    > > Hijackthis Internet Explorer utility finds NOTHING!
    > > SpyBot Search & Destroy finds NOTHING!
    > > AdAware finds NOTHING!
    > > AVG (latest update) doesn't even know it exists (& finds
    > > nothing else but some Java bug/security flaw which the program
    > > is worthless against as it says it's a virus but then does
    > > nothing to get rid of it or tell what needs done)!
    > > Searching Google says that it does exist but asks me to delete
    > > files I've NEVER had & registry entries which have never been
    > > there.
    > >
    > > Any further ideas? (IE is crashing allot more lately too.)

    > maybe
    > http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=BetterInet&btnG=Google Search

    The usual. Leads to a list of "the only way you're getting uninfected is to
    buy our product" & then instructions on deleting non-existant files &
    registry entries.

    > groups
    > alt.comp.anti-virus
    > alt.privacy.spyware

    I might have to try those...

    Daniel, Dec 21, 2004
  5. Daniel

    Daniel Guest

    "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    > Daniel wrote:
    > > Now that I've had this for about 2 months, I'm still having this same
    > > problem of this RANDRECO.EXE which is still there & NOT going anywhere!
    > >
    > > Hijackthis Internet Explorer utility finds NOTHING!
    > > SpyBot Search & Destroy finds NOTHING!
    > > AdAware finds NOTHING!
    > > AVG (latest update) doesn't even know it exists (& finds nothing else

    but
    > > some Java bug/security flaw which the program is worthless against as it
    > > says it's a virus but then does nothing to get rid of it or tell what

    needs
    > > done)!
    > > Searching Google says that it does exist but asks me to delete files

    I've
    > > NEVER had & registry entries which have never been there.
    > >
    > > Any further ideas? (IE is crashing allot more lately too.)
    > >

    > Daniel, I don't still have your previous posts at the ready, have you
    > tried other AV programs? If it were me, I'd use them all until the
    > infection is gone. Do a Google search for "online virus" and you'll see
    > quite a few free AV online scanners. Trend Housecall, Panda,
    > BitDefender, RAV among them. There are also trial versions of several
    > "for pay" AV programs that you can use and then either buy or uninstall.

    Trying them again...though last time they did NOTHING, allot of nothing, &
    more nothing.

    (Now Housecall claims I've got the QHosts.10 trojan but I've not found the
    reported symptoms, including the file it says is uncleanable. Trying
    Semantec's cleaner for the QHosts thing anyway, even though it is updated
    only since last April & I've supposedly go this Downloader.GK that Panda
    said I had, though again no proof it's actually there.)

    Daniel, Dec 21, 2004
  6. Daniel

    Daniel Guest

    "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    > Daniel wrote:
    > > Now that I've had this for about 2 months, I'm still having this same
    > > problem of this RANDRECO.EXE which is still there & NOT going anywhere!
    > >
    > > Hijackthis Internet Explorer utility finds NOTHING!
    > > SpyBot Search & Destroy finds NOTHING!
    > > AdAware finds NOTHING!
    > > AVG (latest update) doesn't even know it exists (& finds nothing else

    but
    > > some Java bug/security flaw which the program is worthless against as it
    > > says it's a virus but then does nothing to get rid of it or tell what

    needs
    > > done)!
    > > Searching Google says that it does exist but asks me to delete files

    I've
    > > NEVER had & registry entries which have never been there.
    > >
    > > Any further ideas? (IE is crashing allot more lately too.)
    > >

    > Daniel, I don't still have your previous posts at the ready, have you
    > tried other AV programs? If it were me, I'd use them all until the
    > infection is gone. Do a Google search for "online virus" and you'll see
    > quite a few free AV online scanners. Trend Housecall, Panda,
    > BitDefender, RAV among them. There are also trial versions of several
    > "for pay" AV programs that you can use and then either buy or uninstall.

    As expected, it's not there.

    Daniel, Dec 21, 2004
  7. Daniel

    jils Guest

    good grief daniel
    i hoped you'd sorted this out by now. how infuriating!
    are you considering a reformat, as a last resort?

    jils, Dec 21, 2004
  8. Daniel

    °Mike° Guest

    It is "Second Thought" spyware/hijacker.
    Use the uninstaller here:
    http://www.2nd-thought.com/uninstall.html

    If you continue to have problems, look here:
    http://www.iamnotageek.com/a/371-p1.php

    On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 22:10:24 -0600, in
    <>
    Daniel scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Dec 21, 2004
  9. Daniel

    Nathan Guest

    =?iso-8859-2?Q?Re:_RANDRECO.EXE_=3D_Still_there_&_ain't_leaving!?=

    Daniel wrote:

    > Now that I've had this for about 2 months, I'm still having this same
    > problem of this RANDRECO.EXE which is still there & NOT going anywhere!
    >
    > Hijackthis Internet Explorer utility finds NOTHING!
    > SpyBot Search & Destroy finds NOTHING!
    > AdAware finds NOTHING!
    > AVG (latest update) doesn't even know it exists (& finds nothing else but
    > some Java bug/security flaw which the program is worthless against as it
    > says it's a virus but then does nothing to get rid of it or tell what needs
    > done)!
    > Searching Google says that it does exist but asks me to delete files I've
    > NEVER had & registry entries which have never been there.
    >
    > Any further ideas? (IE is crashing allot more lately too.)

    Sorry I haven't read your other posts detailing what you have done to
    get rid of this program. Here is what I do to get rid of anything that
    Spybot doesn't clean on it's own...Or Norton's for that matter.

    I do a search on my PC for the files, usually they are in the Windows
    folder or the Windows/system32 folder, I delete the offending program.
    Then I find the OTHER copy of the program by letting Search continue to
    run. There is always a copy in Prefetch.
    After I have deleted them, the problems usually stop. Then once a week
    while I am defragging, and doing my virus scan, I do a Registry
    Cleaning, if needed. RegCleaner is the one I use, but there are alot of
    others.

    I have never really had the problem of having them keep coming back, but
    then I don't get many mal-ware programs anyway, since I set Spybot to
    keep that stuff from DL'ing. (It's under Immunize, if you want to set it
    up.)

    Nathan, Dec 21, 2004
  10. Daniel

    BS Guest

    Pardon me if I'm asking a silly question, but have you tried using a DOS
    boot disk and either renaming this randreco.exe executable to something else
    or just deleting it?

    BS

    BS, Dec 21, 2004
  11. Daniel

    Daniel Guest

    "BS" <> wrote in message
    > Pardon me if I'm asking a silly question, but have you tried using a DOS
    > boot disk and either renaming this randreco.exe executable to something

    else
    > or just deleting it?

    Yes, so many times that I'm far more than sure that it does nothing.

    Daniel, Dec 21, 2004
  12. Daniel

    Daniel Guest

    "Nathan" <> wrote in message
    > Daniel wrote:
    >
    > > Now that I've had this for about 2 months, I'm still having this same
    > > problem of this RANDRECO.EXE which is still there & NOT going anywhere!
    > >
    > > Hijackthis Internet Explorer utility finds NOTHING!
    > > SpyBot Search & Destroy finds NOTHING!
    > > AdAware finds NOTHING!
    > > AVG (latest update) doesn't even know it exists (& finds nothing else

    but
    > > some Java bug/security flaw which the program is worthless against as it
    > > says it's a virus but then does nothing to get rid of it or tell what

    needs
    > > done)!
    > > Searching Google says that it does exist but asks me to delete files

    I've
    > > NEVER had & registry entries which have never been there.
    > >
    > > Any further ideas? (IE is crashing allot more lately too.)
    > >

    > Sorry I haven't read your other posts detailing what you have done to
    > get rid of this program. Here is what I do to get rid of anything that
    > Spybot doesn't clean on it's own...Or Norton's for that matter.
    >
    > I do a search on my PC for the files, usually they are in the Windows
    > folder or the Windows/system32 folder, I delete the offending program.
    > Then I find the OTHER copy of the program by letting Search continue to
    > run. There is always a copy in Prefetch.
    > After I have deleted them, the problems usually stop. Then once a week
    > while I am defragging, and doing my virus scan, I do a Registry
    > Cleaning, if needed. RegCleaner is the one I use, but there are alot of
    > others.
    >
    > I have never really had the problem of having them keep coming back, but
    > then I don't get many mal-ware programs anyway, since I set Spybot to
    > keep that stuff from DL'ing. (It's under Immunize, if you want to set it
    > up.)

    That doesn't work in this case. There is something hidden, likely under
    another name, that is bringing it back. Even booting up on a boot disk (to
    prevent anything loading into memory) & trying to clean it doesn't work as
    it has some form of backup somewhere.

    Daniel, Dec 21, 2004
  13. Daniel

    Daniel Guest

    "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > It is "Second Thought" spyware/hijacker.
    > Use the uninstaller here:
    > http://www.2nd-thought.com/uninstall.html

    Not trying to sound negative here, but isn't using THEIR uninstaller (with
    their disclaimer of "use at your own risk, we're not responsible for the
    outcome") about as sensable as having a doctor you're sueing for malpractice
    offer to fix the problem for you but making you sign a waiver first? How
    can I believe/trust that the problem wont get worse or that it wont do
    anything worse?

    > If you continue to have problems, look here:
    > http://www.iamnotageek.com/a/371-p1.php

    I've checked that before...again the usual "delete these files you dont
    have" & "remove these registry entries that aren't there" & "stop these
    tasks from running which aren't running".

    Is MY RANDRECO.EXE different from everyone elses?

    Daniel, Dec 21, 2004
  14. Daniel

    Daniel Guest

    "jils" <> wrote in message
    > good grief daniel
    > i hoped you'd sorted this out by now. how infuriating!
    > are you considering a reformat, as a last resort?

    Only if it gets to the point of causing a major system problem rather than
    an annoyance. Too much stuff I'd have to redo if I chose that option & that
    would be REALLY annoying.

    Daniel, Dec 21, 2004
  15. Daniel

    °Mike° Guest

    On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 14:44:43 -0600, in
    <>
    Daniel scrawled:

    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >> It is "Second Thought" spyware/hijacker.
    >> Use the uninstaller here:
    >> http://www.2nd-thought.com/uninstall.html
    >>

    >Not trying to sound negative here, but isn't using THEIR uninstaller (with
    >their disclaimer of "use at your own risk, we're not responsible for the
    >outcome") about as sensable as having a doctor you're sueing for malpractice
    >offer to fix the problem for you but making you sign a waiver first? How
    >can I believe/trust that the problem wont get worse or that it wont do
    >anything worse?

    Their installer is going to be better than the mess you're
    in at the moment, isn't it? It was designed by them to
    uninstall THEIR software -- use it.

    >> If you continue to have problems, look here:
    >> http://www.iamnotageek.com/a/371-p1.php
    >>

    >I've checked that before...again the usual "delete these files you dont
    >have" & "remove these registry entries that aren't there" & "stop these
    >tasks from running which aren't running".

    Malware evolves and filenames may be different, and some
    malware deliberately uses random file names. Use their
    uninstaller and see how you get on.

    >Is MY RANDRECO.EXE different from everyone elses?

    You're not that special.

    <snip>

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Dec 21, 2004
  16. Daniel

    Daniel Guest

    OK, here is a log from the free scanning utility at:
    http://www.mwti.net/antivirus/free_utilities.asp

    I removed the parts that I know to be OK (for example the files that contain
    only a reboot command, most of which are programs I know require reboot
    after install (I mean the original install EXE, not the app itself) & then
    some system monitoring software it reported as RISKWARE.

    What I'd like to do is just make a batch file to rename all of these files &
    boot up to that, then if needed I'll go back & unrename any that are needed
    (*.??? to *.??_ or something like that).

    Also, are any of these viruses known to be jumping across a home network
    (all connected with a Linksys router)?

    -- begin log file --

    File C:\WINDOWS\LOCALNRD.DLL infected by "not-a-virus:AdWare.BiSpy.s"
    File C:\WINDOWS\LOCALNRD.DLL infected by "not-a-virus:AdWare.BiSpy.s"
    File C:\WINDOWS\PREINSLN.EXE infected by "not-a-virus:AdWare.BiSpy.o"
    File C:\WINDOWS\LOCALNRD.DLL infected by "not-a-virus:AdWare.BiSpy.s"
    File C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\reg6523.exe infected by
    "not-a-virus:AdWare.Beginto.a"
    File C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\host.exe infected by "Trojan.Win32.Qhost.x"
    File C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\abetterinternet.exe infected by
    "not-a-virus:AdWare.BetterInternet"
    File C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\reg6523.exe infected by
    "not-a-virus:AdWare.Beginto.a"
    File C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\host.exe infected by "Trojan.Win32.Qhost.x"
    File C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\abetterinternet.exe infected by
    "not-a-virus:AdWare.BetterInternet"
    File C:\WINDOWS\Local Settings\Application
    Data\{35A3A4F2-B792-11D6-A78A-00B0D0142000}\Java 2 SDK, SE v1.4.2.msi tagged
    as not-a-virus:JavaClass.Chart.
    File C:\WINDOWS\.jpi_cache\jar\1.0\exea.jar-429497e-20ab5a6e.zip infected by
    "Trojan.Java.ClassLoader.f"
    File C:\WINDOWS\.jpi_cache\jar\1.0\exe.jar-15a77d43-4428e53f.zip infected by
    "Trojan.Java.ClassLoader.f"
    File C:\WINDOWS\.jpi_cache\file\1.0\Dummy.class-1012b178-330acdb7.class
    infected by "Trojan.Java.Nocheat"
    File C:\WINDOWS\.jpi_cache\file\1.0\ok.class-76bd608a-35fcfcf4.class
    infected by "Trojan.Java.Nocheat"
    File C:\WINDOWS\PREINSLN.EXE infected by "not-a-virus:AdWare.BiSpy.o"
    File C:\WINDOWS\LOCALNRD.DLL infected by "not-a-virus:AdWare.BiSpy.s"
    File C:\Program Files\Common Files\Java\Update\Base
    Images\j2sdk1.4.2-b28\demos.zip tagged as not-a-virus:JavaClass.Chart.
    File C:\Program
    Files\j2sdk_nb\j2sdk1.4.2\demo\applets\BarChart\BarChart.class tagged as
    not-a-virus:JavaClass.Chart.
    File C:\Program
    Files\j2sdk_nb\j2sdk1.4.2\demo\plugin\applets\BarChart\BarChart.class tagged
    as not-a-virus:JavaClass.Chart.
    File C:\Program Files\nbpro\nbproldr.exe infected by
    "HackTool.Win32.Patcher.b"
    File C:\j2sdk\demo\plugin\applets\BarChart\BarChart.class tagged as
    not-a-virus:JavaClass.Chart.
    File C:\j2sdk\demo\applets\BarChart\BarChart.class tagged as
    not-a-virus:JavaClass.Chart.

    Daniel, Dec 21, 2004
  17. Daniel

    Daniel Guest

    "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 14:44:43 -0600, in
    > <>
    > Daniel scrawled:
    >
    > >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > >> It is "Second Thought" spyware/hijacker.
    > >> Use the uninstaller here:
    > >> http://www.2nd-thought.com/uninstall.html
    > >>

    > >Not trying to sound negative here, but isn't using THEIR uninstaller

    (with
    > >their disclaimer of "use at your own risk, we're not responsible for the
    > >outcome") about as sensable as having a doctor you're sueing for

    malpractice
    > >offer to fix the problem for you but making you sign a waiver first? How
    > >can I believe/trust that the problem wont get worse or that it wont do
    > >anything worse?

    > Their installer is going to be better than the mess you're
    > in at the moment, isn't it? It was designed by them to
    > uninstall THEIR software -- use it.

    See my new log that I posted with the stuff it found. Looks like even though
    I'm generally against paying for software if I can't help it, PC Protector
    (wasn't that BlackIce?) & some other of it's kind are in line for purchase
    with income tax returns. At least that way I can log whats going on with
    install & uninstall (need something that will log EVERY registry change or
    file add/delete/change, date & time stamp it & if possible what did the
    change & exactly what was done).

    I'm just a bit uneasy/paranoid about letting someone who causes the problem
    offer to fix it when they give the disclaimer that gives them permission to
    FDISK your drive on that system & hose every system on your network & then
    come back & say "we told you use at your own risk (that will teach you not
    to try to uninstall our adware)".

    Daniel, Dec 21, 2004
  18. Daniel

    °Mike° Guest

    On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 15:11:31 -0600, in
    <>
    Daniel scrawled:

    <snip>

    >I'm just a bit uneasy/paranoid about letting someone who causes the problem
    >offer to fix it when they give the disclaimer that gives them permission to
    >FDISK your drive on that system & hose every system on your network & then
    >come back & say "we told you use at your own risk (that will teach you not
    >to try to uninstall our adware)".

    Get on with it.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Dec 22, 2004
  19. °Mike° wrote:

    > It is "Second Thought" spyware/hijacker.
    > Use the uninstaller here:
    > http://www.2nd-thought.com/uninstall.html
    >
    > If you continue to have problems, look here:
    > http://www.iamnotageek.com/a/371-p1.php

    2nd-thought.com now yields "connection refused," so I guess their provider
    yanked them. (Responds to pings but that's it.) The second page, however,
    is excellent.
    --
    Gary G. Taylor * Rialto, CA

    Gary G. Taylor, Dec 23, 2004
  20. Daniel

    °Mike° Guest

    On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 01:43:07 GMT, in
    <Lopyd.1495$>
    Gary G. Taylor scrawled:

    >°Mike° wrote:
    >
    >> It is "Second Thought" spyware/hijacker.
    >> Use the uninstaller here:
    >> http://www.2nd-thought.com/uninstall.html

    <snip>

    >2nd-thought.com now yields "connection refused," so I guess
    >their provider yanked them. (Responds to pings but that's it.)

    Nope, it's still up and running.

    <snip>

    --
    Basic computer maintenance